IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule palm north west of orlando?

Straight6tt

My wife is in Orlando, visiting her family.  Is there a nursery from there to mississippi that she could stop at to pick up a decent size mule on her way home?  I know of moultrie but they are out of the way in st. augustine.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

13 hours ago, Straight6tt said:

My wife is in Orlando, visiting her family.  Is there a nursery from there to mississippi that she could stop at to pick up a decent size mule on her way home?  I know of moultrie but they are out of the way in st. augustine.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Tank in Gainesville ? Not a nursery, just a palm talk member who may help you out? Also Scott in Tampa, same scenario.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Northeast of Orlando is Oviedo. Lukas Nursery in Oviedo grows nice Mule Palms.

http://www.lukasnursery.com/

Thanks Eric. They are also running a buy a Croton, get a Croton for free promotion for the holidays. Thank you for the link.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

By the way, Oviedo is literally a suburb of Orlando, so your wife wouldn't be going out of her way to pick up a mule palm there.

Another alternative would be Brooksville Palms, which is a major supplier of mule palms in the region. This nursery is located between Brooksville and I-75. I recall it being only a few minutes west of I-75 on a fast country road. This is less convenient for your wife, but not so bad because she will have to connect with I-75 anyway. Instead of taking the Turnpike there, she would instead take highway 50 from Orlando straight west I-75 and the Brooksville region.

The owner of Brooksville Palms is very helpful. He pointed out the variation in his mule palms to me. He can probably tell your wife which mules will likely be more cold-hardy than others, just based on appearance alone.

Thanks guys, she will be stopping by brooksville palms on saturday to pick up some goodies.  Anyone know somewhere I can get a decent size trunkform cham radicallis?

I can only suggest places in South Florida for the trunking form of chamaedorea radicalis, but others on PalmTalk will know the Orlando nurseries better than I do.

Because Brooksville Palms is a family business,  you might want to check and see if they're going to be around on Saturday:

352-650-9182 (owner's line)

For your climate zone, have you considered Rhapis Excelsa too? They're all over New Orleans, so they should work in your climate too.  I recall seeing large clumps of mature Rhapis Excelsa (multi-trunk, 5 feet tall) at an Orlando nursery, but I can't remember the name of the nursery or where it was.  In any case, this might be an easy palm to find in your region.  It's slow growing, so buying large ones are worth the money.  The big home improvement chains sometimes sell them, but not in huge sizes.  They sell them 2 feet tall at HD, not 5 feet tall with ten trunks.

I contacted brooksville today and they dont sell to individuals, only to nurseries.  But they are gping to call me back with information of someone in the area that sells to the public,  I'll give lukas' nursery a call.

Edited by Straight6tt

nevermind, the owner at brooksville called me back, and invited my wife to come by the nursery.  Looks like im getting a mule!  And probably a chinese fan palm.

I must have purchased from over a dozen "wholesale only" nurseries in Florida, and every single one of them will sell to individuals if you pull out cash. 

Congratulations.

23 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I must have purchased from over a dozen "wholesale only" nurseries in Florida, and every single one of them will sell to individuals if you pull out cash. 

Congratulations.

Thank you so much for the recommendation sandy.  My wife is on the way home with a 30 gallon mule!  The price was awesome also!  I cannot wait to plant it.

But they grow pretty fast, so I would be inclined to buy at 7 gallon size. It will grow into a 15 or 30 gallon tree a year later anyway. I think I paid $65.00 for my 7 gallon mule palm from Brooksville Palms, but I can't be entirely sure.