IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 6a Nova Scotia Canada (can palms grow here)

KentiaPalm

I've heard of cold hardy palms , but is there any that can grow outdoors year round in our colder climate here in Canada ?

12 minutes ago, KentiaPalm said:

I've heard of cold hardy palms , but is there any that can grow outdoors year round in our colder climate here in Canada ?

Needle palms (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) will grow in 6b and maybe in 6a. Just plant it against a south facing brick/cement wall and throw a pile of leaves over it in late fall.

gid294869.jpg

2012-09-09_12-18-28_424-1.jpg

Ed in Houston

And if you aren't satisfied with the somewhat bushy look you can always plant a Trachycarpus fortunei. It is not as hardy as the needle but much faster growing, thus much cheaper and actually has a trunk. You will have to protect it but only if temperatures fall below -10C or so (first damage can occur at -12/-13 C). Be creative, wrap it with fleece or build a styrofoam house.. There are lots of good examples on this board like this one:

And don't be discouraged if your palms is damaged or dies. It can have other reasons than just cold. I have had a small Rhapidophyllum die for no apparent reason after a winter with only one day -10C, no lower temps.

Edited by Flow

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm also putting my musa basjoo (banana tree) into dormancy I love having Tropicals in northern Canada year round. 

In you are around Halifax, you are in zone 6b, not 6a.  Have you also considered trying a saw palmetto? The silver type can add some interest to your garden.  They are slow growing, but can be nice when they get big.

Not palms, but other cold-hardy plants that could add an exotic flair to your outdoor space, and barely eek out survival without protection:  yucca alifolia; yucca brevifolia; yucca rostrata "sapphire skies" or other blue variety; yucca rigida, ...I am straining to think of more interesting plants for Zone 6b.  I seem to recall that phytostachys nigra "henon" starts at zone 7a, but it might be okay in 6b.

The only other palm that I have heard of which could survive in zone 6b is nannorrhops richtiana. It is alleged to take down to -20 celcius.

Other exotics which might survive year-round in zone 6b are equisetum hymale and festuca glauca, and some which might (maybe) serve as winter die-back perrennials? returning each summer are: alocasia portora, canna intrigue, zingiber zerumbet, amorphophallus bulbifer, tradescantia pallida, certain bananas.....maybe

I don't think nannorrhops has a chance to make it in a wet zone 6 climate with cool summers. I have some family trying to grow them in a dry zone 7a in New Mexico and they struggle there even with 100+degree summers.

Nannorrhops can only take frost if it is bone-dry, maybe the kashmir variety is tougher and more moisture-tolerant but I haven't seen any success lower than zone 8.

It's not easiest palm to grove but it's possible if you have right ecotype. Nannorrhops growing naturally on large area from 34-35 north latitude in Afghanistan and Pakistan, also on border line between Pakistan and India in district Bhimber at Kashmir (Azad Kashmir), down to the UAE and Oman. Some Nannorrhps ecotypes growing at altitude of 1700m in district Jaji Maydan close to Afghanistan Pakistan border. So it's very important from what location is Nannorrhops seed that you try cultivate in cold areas. I have one grown from seed bought 2010. named as Nannorrhops ritchiana 'green form' from Europalms (James Verhagen). It's planted out in spring 2013. and thriving in my zone 7, kind of continental climate with a very mild maritime influence. Usually we have dry and hot summers, sometimes up to 35-38 Celsius. Winter minimums usually ranges from -18 to -12 Celsius, and every 20-30 years extremes go down to -20 or lover. This is reason why is there no existing Trachycarpus fortuneis older then 30 years. T.fortunei is marginal in my garden at weekend house (cca 20-30km east from Zagreb) but at Zagreb heat islands there are many of adult trees. 

Here Nannorrhops need passive winter protection without heating. I use pine straws and bucket for keeping rain and snow out of spears. Unfortunately 2014 is unusual wet all year so after winter 2014/2015 my Nannorrhops lose many leaves. First picture is from March 2015, and second one is from August 2015. Short video is from November 2015. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OTeYN5L_Rc

Nannorrhops-green-march.jpg

Nannorrhops-green.jpg

Edited by Henoh

• 5 years later...

Same palm six years later, slow but still alive. So it’s possible to grow Nannorrhops (right ecotypes) in zone 7 with good micro location. 

33AD3AD7-4267-4002-B771-5E156A2D95BE.jpeg

0FD25E99-9C41-4FC7-9EAF-1E1CB65224E5.jpeg

• Like 2

This is so awesome. Remembering a post you made 6 years ago and then bumping it with an update! Palmtalk at its best!
:lol:

• Like 1