IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Syagrus 7 mos. update

SailorBold

Here is an updated thread about my JxS hybrid that was planted earlier in March this year.  First pic was right after it was planted and the next just this afternoon. So far so good !  No freezes here yet but it looks like that may change in the next couple weeks.. I do plan on protection as it is its first winter..

Enjoy...  

~March 15th....

jxs1.jpg

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Jimmy. thanks for posting the updated pic. It looks like you got about a years worth of growth (under Patric(k) Schafer's conditions) in around 7 months. I hope the winter cold is not going to harm that great looking palm this year. Let us know how much it got exposed to this spring (annual report).

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 75, Lo 48

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Signed up to see how it does this winter as well. When do you plan on protecting it? Under 20 degrees? Or anything under freezing? The palm has shown very good growth and looks like it's happier now than when you received it and planted it in March. Like with all palms, it takes off once you put it in ground. I'm rooting for your JxS! No pun intended... hehe

Great growth for 7 months!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks.. although I don't think I will be letting it go unprotected this year!     No way will it survive. My only means of protection will be a 'wall-o water'

It is solid solid rooted though and wont budge or wiggle.. but even then I don't want to take a chance with it being such an expensive plant and oddity..

I didn't protect anything yet and tonight its supposed to go down to 28-30f (-0C). So I will start protecting in the next few days; hopefully the wall o water will be enough to get it through.

Gotcha. I have some wall-o-waters that I'm going to try this year, too. They're a bit awkward at first (while filling them up with water) but seem pretty sturdy afterwords and hopefully will help. I think they're good for marginal freezes but anything below, lets say 20 degrees, I will add some artificial heat; lights, oil heaters if it gets frigid cold. I don't blame you for not wanting to expose it to the elements just yet. As it gets lager and harder to protect, we'll then have a better idea.

I've never heard of these wall-o-water things.  Do you just leave them up all winter?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

they are super fast. I  planted out 2 5 gals this summer.

I have 1 left to plant somewhere?

jubea_x_queen_1.thumb.jpeg.b9350ad9fbd42

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎32‎:‎52‎, smithgn said:

Gotcha. I have some wall-o-waters that I'm going to try this year, too. They're a bit awkward at first (while filling them up with water) but seem pretty sturdy afterwords and hopefully will help. I think they're good for marginal freezes but anything below, lets say 20 degrees, I will add some artificial heat; lights, oil heaters if it gets frigid cold. I don't blame you for not wanting to expose it to the elements just yet. As it gets lager and harder to protect, we'll then have a better idea.

I agree.. I picked up the actual brand name 'Wall-O-Water' and some off brand that you fill up using one of the openings which as the water fills up a cell it moves to the next.. and so on.. it seems heavier in nature and is enclosed at the top so basically you only have to fill it up one time..  I plan on using both.. One on my JxB and another on my weird growing BJxB (update coming soon). and def. my JxS.   They are supposed to be good to 16f(-9c) from what the package states.. so unsure if I will use heat or not.

Yep.. when it gets larger I'm just going to xmas light the trunk every year and that's it!  My big robilifera has become too difficult.. and from trial and error.. I have realized that they can take cold in this climate just fine. I have never tried a Mule Palm (maybe someday).. but it will be interesting to see if this palm is hardier than a regular butia..  since I heard Mules are slightly less hardy than butia?  I don't know..I am hoping however it is hardier than the standard Mule..

Time will tell...

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎05‎:‎55‎, Ben in Norcal said:

I've never heard of these wall-o-water things.  Do you just leave them up all winter?

Yep..thats the plan anyway..  Here is a pic of the protection method I just set-up today... 

They are supposed to extend your season 4-6 weeks... so if you have a short winter; it can extend your growing season by almost 3 months.. if used spring/fall. They are staying up all winter.. should be sturdy enough and should keep the palm warm enough to overwinter..

Wish me luck..

IMAG1549_1.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎22‎:‎39‎, Josh-O said:

Very nice.. I hope Patric creates more of these because I have a feeling I will want more than one in the future..  Do you have any update pics?

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎57‎:‎47‎, SailorBold said:

I agree.. I picked up the actual brand name 'Wall-O-Water' and some off brand that you fill up using one of the openings which as the water fills up a cell it moves to the next.. and so on.. it seems heavier in nature and is enclosed at the top so basically you only have to fill it up one time..  I plan on using both.. One on my JxB and another on my weird growing BJxB (update coming soon). and def. my JxS.   They are supposed to be good to 16f(-9c) from what the package states.. so unsure if I will use heat or not.

Yep.. when it gets larger I'm just going to xmas light the trunk every year and that's it!  My big robilifera has become too difficult.. and from trial and error.. I have realized that they can take cold in this climate just fine. I have never tried a Mule Palm (maybe someday).. but it will be interesting to see if this palm is hardier than a regular butia..  since I heard Mules are slightly less hardy than butia?  I don't know..I am hoping however it is hardier than the standard Mule..

Time will tell...

Ah, I must have gotten the off brand Wall-O-Water. I have to fill each cell up individually- it takes some balancing but isn't too bad. If you want to go the extra mile, I suggest using Christmas lights and wrap them around the base of your palm, wrap a Wall-O-Water around it, THEN place a small mini greenhouse over it. I plan on doing this on the really cold nights if I don't feel like using my oil heaters.

I feel confident that once your hybrids get larger, your dry cold will do less damage, relatively speaking, on these hybrids. But who knows, as this is uncharted territory. All I know is, dry cold is better than wet cold, and that's good for you!

Back to the Wall-O-Waters... For those that don't know much about them, today is the first day I've seen a significant increase of temperature inside of my Wall-O-Water since putting it up several days ago. We received our first sunny day in what seems like weeks. You need some direct sunshine to be able to heat the water inside the tubes, and since water holds heat longer than soil, these tubes will stay warmer than the drastically falling outside temperature. So anyway, today we had a clear, sunny day of 70 degrees. At about 6 o'clock today, it was already in the 50's and an AcuRite temperature gauge inside the protection of the Wall-O-Waters read 76 degrees. Pretty neat and I plan on erecting these guys out in the coming days as we get colder and colder... They're worth the money, especially for your smaller and newer in-ground palms.

I ordered some of the Wall-O-Waters.  But if they need direct sun, I need to figure out what to do with them.  I had wanted to use them around some small Foxy Lady 3g plants...but they are mostly in winter shade (summer sun.)

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben, unfortunately I have some plants in winter shade as well. It may be arduous, but you could move the Wall-O-Waters into full sun during the day, then maybe place them around one of your shaded palms at sundown every time it gets cold. I may experiment with one in the shade and see if the water retains any sort of warmth from the ambient air temperature around it. It might be miniscule but it's better than nothing.

Might try some Christmas lights inside the Wall-O-Waters - presumably they would help retain the heat inside, at least.  Anyway, 3 on the way to play around with!

Ben Rogers

On 11/9/2015, 2:10:34, SailorBold said:

Very nice.. I hope Patric creates more of these because I have a feeling I will want more than one in the future..  Do you have any update pics?

That picture is pretty current. I just planted them a couple months ago. I'll take some more pic's this spring to show growth speed. At most they only pushed and open 1 new frond :) 

Sunset zone 24

If a jubea x syagrus retains its jubea cold-hardiness, then my guess is that it will need no protection or supplemental heat (non-LED Christmas lights) until the temperatures drops below 15 Fahrenheit.  That might only happen a couple of nights a year in Albuquerque, right? 

...speaking of which, I don't even know if you can still buy those old-fashioned Christmas lights with the bulbs that heat up.  The norm nowadays is LED lights which give off no heat.  If I recall correctly, the best bulbs for heat were those size 9 bulbs on Christmas tree strings.  Size 7 gave off a bit less heat, I believe.  I have about 6 strings of those clear, teeny-tiny Christmas lights which are non-LED but because the bulbs are so tiny, they don't give off a lot of supplemental heat.  If anyone wants them, let me know and I will ship them to you....free gift. The only good thing about them is that you can wrap them around your tree trunks year-round and leave them there as part of evening patio decoration because they don't look like Christmas lights.

I digress, but anyway -- SailorBold, I think your J x B x B x B has better chance of long-term survival in Albuquerque than your J x S.  Those Butia Odorata as tough against cold.

1 hour ago, Sandy Loam said:

...speaking of which, I don't even know if you can still buy those old-fashioned Christmas lights with the bulbs that heat up.  The norm nowadays is LED lights which give off no heat.  If I recall correctly, the best bulbs for heat were those size 9 bulbs on Christmas tree strings.  Size 7 gave off a bit less heat, I believe.  I have about 6 strings of those clear, teeny-tiny Christmas lights which are non-LED but because the bulbs are so tiny, they don't give off a lot of supplemental heat.  If anyone wants them, let me know and I will ship them to you....free gift. The only good thing about them is that you can wrap them around your tree trunks year-round and leave them there as part of evening patio decoration because they don't look like Christmas lights.

They are easy enough to find here.  My local Ace hardware has them.  I ordered a whole bunch on eBay last year for super cheap too, so I have a good supply.  Recommend eBay or Amazon.  They appear to still be in plentiful supply there.

Ben Rogers

9 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

If a jubea x syagrus retains its jubea cold-hardiness, then my guess is that it will need no protection or supplemental heat (non-LED Christmas lights) until the temperatures drops below 15 Fahrenheit.  That might only happen a couple of nights a year in Albuquerque, right? 

I digress, but anyway -- SailorBold, I think your J x B x B x B has better chance of long-term survival in Albuquerque than your J x S.  Those Butia Odorata as tough against cold.

The LED's are more accessible, but you can still buy some incandescent (sp?) type lights. I bought some through Target. I think they were $7.49 for a box of C-9 lights. I  assume they give off heat, I haven't tested them yet, but they are the incandescent type.

Do keep us apprized.

A 900 pound gorilla?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My recollection is that a string of Christmas lights with those big C-9 bulbs, while they may look very 1982 (especially the multi-coloured ones), they actually give off a fair bit of heat if contained within wrapped blanket around a palm (don't use flammable polyester though!).  I seem to recall a thread where C-9 bulbs on a string did not actually emit enough heat to burn a palm's crownshaft, but heating cables did.

On 11/6/2015, 7:22:39, Josh-O said:

Don't plant that 3rd one.  Send to me :-)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

57 minutes ago, _Keith said:

Don't plant that 3rd one.  Send to me :-)

lol.. I already have a spot picked out :D

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

lol.. I already have a spot picked out :D

they'll be other palms and so many choices in your wonderful climate.  where can I source on bigger than a 4 inch pot.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

58 minutes ago, _Keith said:

they'll be other palms and so many choices in your wonderful climate.  where can I source on bigger than a 4 inch pot.

Keith, you don't need one bigger.  These grow so fast, you'll have one shoulder high from that 4" pot by Year 2.

Ben Rogers

On 11/17/2015, 4:52:55, _Keith said:

I got mine from Patrick Shaffer.

there very expensive and last I heard he was sold out.

Sunset zone 24

HI All,

I got Patric's current list from October 30th and he still had the small and large size available for purchase, see the list below.  Unless he has sold out of them since then, thanks

Craig

BXJ $ 25
BJXJ $ 45
BJ X Q $35
JXB $45
J X Q $ 150 4x10” @ $ 250
BXQ $ 35
B. PARAGUAYENSIS X QUEEN $ 35
YATAY X Q $35
YATAY X J 45
B X PJ COCOIDES $ 125 , 4X10” @ $ 200
B. paraguayensisX pj cocoides @ $100
Trachycarpus wag @ $15
Jubaea, all sorts of sizes
Micro ( 3X10) $25

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta hand it to you guys for keeping the faith, 'wall of water' and all. I'm sure if I still lived in Albuquerque I'd be doing the same thing. 

Jimmy, that palm really had some significant growth this year.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

20 hours ago, realarch said:

Gotta hand it to you guys for keeping the faith, 'wall of water' and all. I'm sure if I still lived in Albuquerque I'd be doing the same thing. 

Jimmy, that palm really had some significant growth this year.

Tim

Thanks Tim..  I'm hoping it will like its location..the only thing I'm worried about is its proximity to the house.  Gary's palm.. the trunk looks enormous.  Just going to see what happens..  I will have to look and see what kind of lights I will need in the future but for right now I hope the wall o water will do the trick. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Any updates on these JxS?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2018, 5:35:33, Alicehunter2000 said:

Any updates on these JxS?

On 4/2/2018, 5:35:33, Alicehunter2000 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing either, although it looks like Sailor Bold has gone MIA. 

Edited by RJ