IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Chamadorea radicalis seeds!

DoomsDave

• 2 weeks later...

I've my first germinations (2 of them) today after 55 days in the germinator. Thank you, Dave.

08053.gif

On 4/10/2017, 1:51:27, Maxim said:

Hello Dave,there are no available seeds to send to Russia......? :blush:

Send me a PM (Private message) with your mailing address, and I'll send some.

To Russia, with palmy love . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Sanips said:

I've my first germinations (2 of them) today after 55 days in the germinator. Thank you, Dave.

Good to hear!

They do "take their own sweet time" as we say. But worth the wait. I've got a bunch of Dypsis that are finally popping after 6 months.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Good to hear!

They do "take their own sweet time" as we say. But worth the wait. I've got a bunch of Dypsis that are finally popping after 6 months.

I can't complain about its germination speed while I aIso got germinated a Sabal 'Riverside' today after 11 months of wait and I'm trying to sprout some Acrocomia seeds :asleep:. So, fast and easy germinators for me :greenthumb::lol:

08053.gif

Anyone want some more?

PM your mailing address and I'll send some!

On 5/1/2017, 6:09:21, Cikas said:

Seedlings :greenthumb:

P4301178.jpg

P4301179.jpg

OH YEAH!

How do you scream obscenities in Serbo-Croatian?

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's barley been a month and i am already getting sprouts!! :D   What do i do?! Haha

• Upvote 1

Pot them in Dixie cups till they get to have enough roots to fill them up

• Upvote 1

But of course!

I cast my magic spell upon them . . .

ILOVEPALM - I really like the look of your substrate. Can you tell me what you're using? 

Personally - I use PRO MIX for everything. It can get waterlogged. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks! 

Any problems with mold developing in it? Or am I thinking of a different product? 

They seem to be remote germinators ? Out of 20 seeds, 5 germinated month after sown, I think october-november last year. But now 4 more are emerging from the soil :)

There's more if you want some!

Shoot me a PM, with address.

Seeds keep coming.

• 2 weeks later...

First seeds are germinating, now they have to send up some green...

Thanks Dave

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

On 6/3/2017, 6:50:55, Palmensammler said:

First seeds are germinating, now they have to send up some green...

Thanks Dave

Sehr gut!

5 hours ago, Ilovepalm said:

My chamedora radicalis seedlings today: :)

euUcJjn.jpg

Those are an easy grow, but don't let the cats near them, at least when they're small.

Cats love baby palms --

to eat!

I got about 38 seeds from Dave which I planted 17-09-29, basically just cleaned them and put them all in a 14 cm community pot with a thin layer of soil on top and covered by plastic. Sprouts started to show after 30 days, by december there were 21, on 21st of Jan number 22 peeked out:

170129b.thumb.JPG.3b2b612e4ab07003eace5a

A week later I moved them to individual pots in a tray, by then I found No. 23, but unfortunately that one was very bent and broke when I tried to repot it. By now most of them are 30-35cm high above soil and have two pairs of leaves, and I used two 14W CFLs and today added a third (12W):

170520.thumb.JPG.c0dd9b82c355f95f6916d3d170610.thumb.JPG.6b1e976f8f598147bc8715a

The same day I planted the Radicalis seeds I also planted about 60 Coccothrinax seeds, some with paper towel method, the rest in soil in ziplock bags, all in a plastic box with heat mat. Lots of work and only 2 Coccothrinax Miraguama and 15 Coccothrinax Fragrans are alive today, so I must say your seeds were really easy Dave :-)

I have a couple of questions:

Considering how tall they are, would you agree that they probably all are the stem forming type? Two of them are noteably shorter: One on the left side which is short since it is the one that sprouted last, and then one in the middle of the closest row, which could be smaller due to relatively low amount of light there. They are all very tall compared to what I thought, even look elongated maybe, which could be indication that they didn't get much light, but they've had between 1 and 2 klx until now (today some have more), and the tallest ones aren't really the ones that had least light. Cikas' post on May 2nd don't look anything like mine, is that because they are the non-stemmed variety or what?

When they outgrow these pots I plan to put them 2 or 3 per pot. Does that sound like a good idea? I've read people recommending that more than one look best if stemmed, still more than 2 or 3 seems too much to me.

Thanks Dave!

David:

Nice work!

Experience has shown that the rads are almost trunking types, since the seeds are from mixed trunking and bush types, and the trunking type appears to be "dominant" as they say in Mendelian genetics.

I'd try to give each plant at least a "gallon size" pot, about 6" (15 cm) across and 8" (20 cm) deep; twice that volume would be better for long-term keeping.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my little ones (I've already given away some to friends and family). I'm very surprised with them, they stand a lot of sun in this early stage.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Upvote 2

08053.gif

9 hours ago, Sanips said:

Some of my little ones (I've already given away some to friends and family). I'm very surprised with them, they stand a lot of sun in this early stage.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Muchas buenas!

You have the right idea.

I've got number of plants in full sun, no problem, and it gets hot here, like Espana.

• Upvote 2

Mine didn't germinate. Do they not like heat like most other palms? 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

24 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

Mine didn't germinate. Do they not like heat like most other palms? 

shoot me a PM with your address

try again

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

shoot me a PM with your address

try again

Dave, same happened to me. Some left for me?

Rio_Grande.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2017, 8:45:07, foxtail said:

Dave, same happened to me. Some left for me?

SEND ME A PM WITH YOUR ADDDRESS

21 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

SEND ME A PM WITH YOUR ADDDRESS

Sorry Dave, wrong posted here. 

I mean Franken Braheas.

Rio_Grande.gif

43 minutes ago, foxtail said:

Sorry Dave, wrong posted here. 

I mean Franken Braheas.

Well same I've got oodles of new Frankies!

• Upvote 2

PM ME ANYWAY WITH ADDRESS

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

PM ME ANYWAY WITH ADDRESS

Pm sent, thanks Dave!!!!!

Rio_Grande.gif

Actual picture of today. Lots of young Chamaedorea radicalis....

Eckhard

20170713_210054.jpg

• Upvote 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri