IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga leaf mottling question

Missi

Are there Pinangas that keep their mottling for quite a while? My favorite thing about Pinanga is that mottling but I know it disappears as the plant matures.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Many Pinanga species will keep their mottling for a long while, but it may lighten as the palm grows, even if its light to begin with. This is seen more often when the palm is grown outside of its native habitat as environmental conditions can effect the detail and the contrasting colors of the mottling. Some of the smaller species, like Pinanga crassipes, P. disticha and P. sp. 'Thai Mottled' have been known to keep their mottling rather showy for a while, when grown in S. Florida. Certain species tend to lose the mottling as they grow naturally, as the camouflaged adaptation is no longer needed on a larger juvenile or adult.  It can rather discouraging when we see an in-habitat photographed species with spectacular mottling, only to see it fade when grown in cultivation. We have all gone crazy for that one species we have seen in a book, only to find out it will not look like that here in S. Florida. We still grown them, as the Pinanga members are fun to collect.

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

Many Pinanga species will keep their mottling for a long while, but it may lighten as the palm grows, even if its light to begin with. This is seen more often when the palm is grown outside of its native habitat as environmental conditions can effect the detail and the contrasting colors of the mottling. Some of the smaller species, like Pinanga crassipes, P. disticha and P. sp. 'Thai Mottled' have been known to keep their mottling rather showy for a while, when grown in S. Florida. Certain species tend to lose the mottling as they grow naturally, as the camouflaged adaptation is no longer needed on a larger juvenile or adult.  It can rather discouraging when we see an in-habitat photographed species with spectacular mottling, only to see it fade when grown in cultivation. We have all gone crazy for that one species we have seen in a book, only to find out it will not look like that here in S. Florida. We still grown them, as the Pinanga members are fun to collect.

Ryan

Yes exactly! I Google Image search for different types & some have stunning contrasting mottling, now that you mention - must be the in-habitat ones, where others are quite faded and it was confusing me. Great to hear that grown in S. FL they may keep their mottling longer! Next, I didn't know that was the purpose of the juvenile mottling but it make perfect sense! I learned a lot from your comment & I thank you!

I caught the Pinanga bug when I received my first Pinangas, 2 P. coronata. :wub:

• Upvote 1

I also have learned to love Pinanga, and acquired quite a few. And true, on most all the mottling fades with age. But many have colorful new leaves, seeds, flowers, and nicely colored crownshafts that stay that way. These three have held on to the mottling the longest for me, and it may be permanent.

This was labeled as Pinanga frutescens - I have not seen it elsewhere - but the name is not considered valid. this palm is about 15 years old and head high.

IMG_2221.thumb.jpg.965fe042bedba40df70f5

This is Pinanga aristata. I looked for this palm for years after seeing a head high plant still retaining it's coloration. A fast grower, I should know soon with these seedlings.

IMG_2222.thumb.jpg.d64d55a70c31115f41051

And Pinanga disticha - also about 15 years old. A variable species, with this one more colorful than others, so I have begun propagating it. More photos and propagation info here. Pinanga disticha propagation

PinangaDis_2.thumb.jpg.7b266b92d74040200

• Upvote 2

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I also have learned to love Pinanga, and acquired quite a few. And true, on most all the mottling fades with age. But many have colorful new leaves, seeds, flowers, and nicely colored crownshafts that stay that way. These three have held on to the mottling the longest for me, and it may be permanent.

This was labeled as Pinanga frutescens - I have not seen it elsewhere - but the name is not considered valid. this palm is about 15 years old and head high.

This is Pinanga aristata. I looked for this palm for years after seeing a head high plant still retaining it's coloration. A fast grower, I should know soon with these seedlings.

And Pinanga disticha - also about 15 years old. A variable species, with this one more colorful than others, so I have begun propagating it. More photos and propagation info here. Pinanga disticha propagation

wow Dean, that last picture is insane :drool:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Sometimes over fertilization will make variegated palms loose there variegation this might be true with mottling as well with some species

• Upvote 1

Oh my word...what eye candy & perfectly grown plants! :wub: I already have P. aristata on my wish list & now I'll add the other 2. I hope I can find them. Any suggestions? Floribunda has P. disticha but I don't want to order $100 worth of seedlings.

Missi - if you see P. aristata buy several - as they really need to be in a group.

And I might warn you that P. disticha has many many variations. So, you may as with other Pinangas, be disappointed if you buy a small one with nice coloration. It may very well fade. I have about a half dozen different variations, but they have all faded somewhat with age, except this one plant. That is why I have tried propagating it as described above.

I might mention that I have seen one collector (who shall remain nameless) that has a very nice variation with wider leaves and pronounced mottling - collected from habitat.

Edited by Dypsisdean
  • Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Palmies in the U.S., where do you get your Pinangas? :D

Palmies in the U.S., where do you get your Pinangas? :D

I agree with Ben - Floribunda.

Double up with a friend, or order some of his rare hard to find seedlings, grow them up and sell them for a profit.

Kona, on The Big Island

I got these young Pinanga from Samarakoon in Peradeniya but we both ignore which species it can be.

P1160717.thumb.JPG.6f8541e6fe777ce4916bdP1160718.thumb.JPG.e499f204129eca0c0aaf9

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka