IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Viewing problems on mobile

MattyB

Is anyone else having problems viewing the forum on mobile? I'm on an iPhone iOS 9. The website displays is a long column all across the left half of my screen with blank white space on the right half. There is one advertisement banner that goes all the way across the full width of the screen which I'm assuming is the problem because that's setting the width of what I'm viewing. 

image.png

Edited by MattyB

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I can check it out tomorrow Matty. I haven't yet upgraded to iOS 9, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Two questions:

1) Which phone do you have?

2) Does it do the same in landscape mode?

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Yes, after upgrading to IOS9  on my iPhone 5s, I experienced the same issue.   It is easy to stretch it out with your fingers, but kind of a minor pain as you have to do it with each new page.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I just bought a Samsung 5 so eventually I'll see how it works there.. 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Using iOS 8 on my 6 plus - the landscape mode works fine. However, the portrait mode looks like Matty showed. So it is not just the new iOS. All I can do is alert the software developers. But I have a feeling they already are aware of this bug.

In the meantime, just use landscape.

Can anyone tell me how it is displaying with Android?

Maybe off topic but I view always on iPhone or iPad only. The old forum allowed me to click on an icon that would take me straight to any unread posts on a particular thread. The new format doesn't seem to have that icon? I have to start each each thread from the start and find the point that I had previously read to..

I know Dean used to say that that the best way to use was to go via "all unread" but it's not the way I have ever done it, is that what I need to do now in order to not scroll through all the older posts in a particular thread?

other than that I have no problems 

Maybe off topic but I view always on iPhone or iPad only. The old forum allowed me to click on an icon that would take me straight to any unread posts on a particular thread. The new format doesn't seem to have that icon? I have to start each each thread from the start and find the point that I had previously read to..

I know Dean used to say that that the best way to use was to go via "all unread" but it's not the way I have ever done it, is that what I need to do now in order to not scroll through all the older posts in a particular thread?

Ben - are you aware of how to go directly to the last post on a topic? I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but if you go directly to the last post, then it is much easier to "back up" from there - especially on a longer topic.

I am going to relay your question to the support team for the software and see what they say.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I'm using a Galaxy s6 and it works fine. Looks like it does have that gray area on the right but I have to scroll over to it. I'll post a screen shot of the layout how I'm viewing. 

rps20150927_182002.jpg

Ben - are you aware of how to go directly to the last post on a topic? I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but if you go directly to the last post, then it is much easier to "back up" from there - especially on a longer topic.

I am going to relay your question to the support team for the software and see what they say.

Thanks Dean but I have now worked it out. I thought the star icon just meant that I had participated in that particular thread which it does but if I click / press on the star or the circle for that matter it takes you to the first unread post. I had a little play around with the settings etc after posting last time and have now sorted it out.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it!

no problems on my I Phone to speak of...........................

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thanks Dean but I have now worked it out. I thought the star icon just meant that I had participated in that particular thread which it does but if I click / press on the star or the circle for that matter it takes you to the first unread post. I had a little play around with the settings etc after posting last time and have now sorted it out.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it!

Thanks Ben - you're teaching me something. :)

I'm using a Galaxy s6 and it works fine. Looks like it does have that gray area on the right but I have to scroll over to it. I'll post a screen shot of the layout how I'm viewing. 

rps20150927_182002.jpg

How come you guys don't view in landscape???

I prefer to use the phone in portrait orientation.  As it is now, Palmtalk views like a normal webpage not optimized for mobile viewing.  As Keith said, you can zoom in but then as you scroll it doesn't always track right.  How do you not make mobile viewing optimized on iPhone?  That's like having a store with no front door.  

Could it have something to do with the advertising bar being set too long?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I prefer to use the phone in portrait orientation.  As it is now, Palmtalk views like a normal webpage not optimized for mobile viewing.  As Keith said, you can zoom in but then as you scroll it doesn't always track right.  How do you not make mobile viewing optimized on iPhone?  That's like having a store with no front door.  

Could it have something to do with the advertising bar being set too long?

Yes Matt - I think it has something to do with the ad - but the ad is responsive with no set width - it is supposed to size itself based on the screen size - so this may be a Google issue. I have a feeling that is what the developers will tell me. The finger always gets pointed somewhere else.

But you see much better pics, and can read posts more easily in landscape. Everything is "scrunched" in portrait. I view everything on the web in landscape - so it's just like the monitor on your computer.

Having said that, if you double tap, then double tap again, it will fill your portrait screen. But it depends on where you double tap. Play around double tapping a bit and you can get it to size correctly. That's the best I can offer presently.

OK Matty - I think I have that portrait "bug" fixed. Let me know if it isn't.

Whew! Glad this wasn't just me and it appears to be fixed. 

On a related note, when on mobile, the "Rules and Guidelines" of Palm Exchange is really long to scroll through. I realize this isn't something that needs fixing per se, but it's an annoying feature. 

Thanks for keeping on top of a great site!

Hey you fixed it!  It  looks  great  now!  Thanks  you rock 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I tried viewing in landscape and the majority of the pics are posted in portrait so landscape is less than ideal for me 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"