IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring's here

Tyrone

Well on the calendar anyway.

But I've already recorded a 30.7C on Wed with a 16.8C minimum after that. The spring growth is starting to appear.

Ready to start Spring planting.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The last few days has felt like winter again. Cold and wet, and for a couple of days horrendously windy. I can't wait for summer.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We haven't had below 36 for the last 3 weeks as a maximum. But continuing as dry as.........! UV index sitting at 13. Todays top temp 39. Right on the coast, however, they've had some reasonable showers already. Here though nothing but blazing clear skies with the odd cloud. Just so looking forward to rain but it seems so far away still. Been well over 3 months since the last measley sprinkle.

I imagine your bore has been pumping full swing.

It looks like some decent weather coming next week. The actual change of the season I think.

My bore's been working overtime. Shudder to think what the "overtime claim" will be when it comes in. Unfortunately, irrigation does little to change relative humidity. But surprisingly, the Fiji Fan Palms seem to be loving it.

I agree with you about the humidity. Unless you overhead irrigate almost constantly in hot low humidity periods, you barely change the RH. But I think the plants still want a flooding in those conditions even if the RH is low. Here's hoping for a good wet season for you.

Typical spring weather here. A/C going in the daytime and jumpers and ugg boots at night. Had some early storms with acceptable rain too..

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Yeah, I wish these cool nights would warm up..i'm ready for summer! 25mm of rain over the last week or so...enough to keep the grass green but the palms could do with a bit of a drink!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The Age of Miracles has returned, yesterday I got 14mm of rain. It was worth having left the car windows open. First half of the day was completely overcast and temperatures only got to 35. Looks like the ultra-dry spell might have come to an end, the weather bureau is forecasting some more rain for the first half of the coming week. First rain in nearly 4 months, almost forgotten what it was.

Got a visit from a little rumbly thunderstorm yesterday...about 11mm...not too bad...parts of Brisbane an hour away got smashed with hail storms and torrential rain.

Had a few more mm today to help the garden along, although that is not my problem as at the end of this month1

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Crikey, we had some heavy rain in thunderstorms this afternoon.  I just tipped 75mm out of the rain gauge.  The rain fell in about one hour and was the heaviest rain I've seen in quite a while.

Steve, this was down near your place... :D

cg.thumb.jpg.81b2481b059900a2aac55e08742

• Upvote 1

Steve, this was down near your place... :D

Nowhere in SE Qld even came close to getting 75mm according to today's BOM observations     I must be lucky....for a change !

Yeah, we only got 2mm out of that storm, plus 5mm from the day before...just dribs and drabs...

Wet season has now officially started in the north, and it's also actually started for SOME people. Near the coast there's sporadic but good rain. Yesterday at my place was 38 and oh so dry and windy. I've totalled 16.4mm in the past 7 days, although evaporation rate in the same period has probably been over a metre.

Pip, that's a beautiful picture.

On Thursday I recorded a 34.7C max and then a 28.3C max yesterday. The nights have warmed right up.

We were meant to get rain last night but instead we got a hell of a lot of wind that has brought down a dead pine tree in my pine forest area. I was going to fell it in one direction, but it has fallen against another tree in the wrong direction. It's going to be a bit of work to finally make it contact with the ground now it's under tension.

It should be a beautiful mid twenties day today, which makes a change for the weekend. Every weekend for about 6 weeks has been wet and miserable.

Thanks Tyrone I do live in a very picturesque region. I must confess that photo was taken by a friend of mine who migrated to Australia with his partner to give their adopted boys a much better life than they would have in England. He spends every spare moment with his boys ensuring that they have an amazing childhood. 

I'm enjoying the heat moving across from the west. I actually have the air conditioning on at night so I can sleep not used to 20c + nights mostly nights are around 7 to 10c at this time of year.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday initially started off not too bad. Had a minimum of around 12C. But as I travelled into town to work, the bad weather started to move in. I had to do some work out between Denmark and Nornalup and the cold front came through mega strong, cold wet and windy. :( Miserable winter weather at it's worst. There were Karri branches down all over the roads out that way making driving the winding roads a bit tricky. I got home and one of my spotted gums I planted last year that was doing awesome and about 3m tall was just snapped clean off at the base and thrown half a metre away from the snap. Maybe it will regrow from the stump. We had some small hail last night and a minimum of 4.5C and today is blue skies and still. The days just get better and better until Saturday when we expect a 28C day and thunderstorms.

The cool change came through here today after a strange very warm night. Looks like winter feels like.......ummm.....not sure?

• Upvote 1

Looks like a stable and dry mid to high twenties week coming up with warmer nights. The switch has been flicked on the weather to "warm"

• 2 weeks later...

I feel spring is over. The soil is so dry now the grape vines around here are fully leafed, farmers have been cutting hay for weeks and Adelaide has already experienced maximums of 36. Although light rain has fallen today it dries up quickly.

• Upvote 1

No surprises with the weather here, just continuing hot and dry. A week back BOM forecast rain for the whole of this week but as the time approached they kept pushing the start back a day further. Someone reported a slight sprinkle out on the coast yesterday, hope that wasn't what BOM was forecasting. Forecast is for 38 today (and they're already downplaying today's possibility of rain).

Today we get the sun directly overhead so there's quite a kick to it. Temps have been mainly 37's and 38's. Average for the month so far is 37.5 and creeping upwards. This morning's minimum is 25.9 so far.

The wallabies have been wreaking havoc in the gardens, there's nothing left out bush. They've dug up big areas looking for roots and are stripping plants in the garden that they've never touched before. It's a bad part of the climate cycle for everything.

October was very dry down here. Right now I'm waiting for the heavy rain that is forcast to fall sometime in the next 12 hours. Adelaide is expecting more rain over the next few days than what fell all of October.

I think spring has arrived in Florida, late spring.  It was 90 today with a low of 75F.  I almost went to plant out some Pinangas, Arecas, and a Licuala but the calendar set me straight.

Tornadoes any one?

Luckily the tornado that formed yesterday out at Monarto near Murray Bridge wasn't in a built up area with only farmland being damaged.

Winter is arriving and my growing season is coming to a close tomorrow morning!

I hope the weather settles down and starts off to a great growing season for you guys...   

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

"Nice" one Pip. 

November here has been unusally "warm" so far. Almost recorded 20 degrees a few days ago and low's from 12-15 degrees. 

• Upvote 1

Southwest

I think down here we get the equivalent in southern hemisphere terms the May grey, June gloom that coastal southern California gets. Perth 350kms north has been getting blue skies and low thirties, we've had easterlies off the ocean drizzle and clouds although humidity is way up and my place got over 28C yesterday. At night we're in the mid teens and nearly 100% RH the last few nights. It's sticky and cool at night if that makes sense.

Here the weather bureau has been stuck on this same forecast for more than three weeks now. Only problem is that there's only been the one storm in all that time despite everyday it being "possible". The mornings always start off looking like a typical dry season day, only difference being that humidity is very high. And then afternoons it often gets over 40. Already lost some plants that not even a lot of water could save.

Been watching the record heat up in the NT. Those sort of temps and high humidity would be absolute hell for everything living. The rain has to start soon though. You can't have a build up to those levels and not have some rain form eventually.

Tyrone, I've given up on even wishing for rain any more. It'll happen when/if it happens. The weather bureau's not giving up on the rain yet, but they're upping the temps. I don't know why they're sticking to the rain when the skies are mostly clear all the time. Some places have had rain, but it's very isolated, and definitely not here.

Now would be a good time to be living closer to the coast, there the maximums are 4 - 5 degrees lower and the sea breeze kicks in earlier. But funnily enough my Pritchardia pacificas seem to be loving it, and they're out in the sun. Never thought an island species would tolerate extremes. However, the Chelyocarpus chuco which made it through the previous build-up looking really good finally threw the towel in a few weeks ago.

Looks like we've become the new Pilbara/Kimberley. This is today's story, they've just fiddled with a degree or so.

ptwxr-131115.jpg.d5efbb0fa5cf44e4adfcea5

Yesterday I planted out 14 Dypsis decipiens on a raised piece of land near the main lake. I just checked on the web what the Madagascar capital Tana was getting weatherwise and they were getting around 14C min and about 32C during the day. Well yesterday we had a 15.4C min and then we hit 35.4C and by 4pm the black clouds rolled in and we had thunderstorms quite spectacular ones all night. Officially we got about 7mm of rain but I feel like we've had more than that. Everything is wet and soaked in now and we're back to blue skies again today. Things are going to start growing like mad if we get a few nights like that. The D decipiens are all looking very happy this morning. Elders weather is giving this area a decile rating of 10 for December so if that comes to fruition we may get a wet and humid start to summer down here.

• Upvote 1

This weekend has been fairly cool Saturday was cloudy and I was lucky enough to take advantage of my location and live it up a little at Dog Ridge Winery's anual luncheon. This photo is from the Duck Chase vineyard not far from my house.

20151114_114940.jpg.13fd16539abc2d27e750

Cheers FB_IMG_1447588022098.thumb.jpg.91925a0d0

Things will be warming up for you soon Pip. Looks like you had a great weekend.

• Upvote 1