IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

On 11/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, Sandy Loam said:

Send us the website link! Looking forward to it.

Once the site is finished I will post it on palm talk. Still under construction :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

23 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I built one big 4" raised bed in the backyard, and built it up with 75% sand and 25% topsoil mix.  I have about 50 agaves types in the ground, the only ones i have had problems with are a Nickelsiae, a Rum Runner and one called Durango Fandango.  Everything else does pretty well here, just everything is dead flat and boulders cost a lot per ton!!

Boulders are expensive even here in California. I'm blessed with the ones I have naturally occurring at the nursery.

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

13 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Boulders are expensive even here in California. I'm blessed with the ones I have naturally occurring at the nursery.

True... I was working on a jobsite once, where the builder paid a contractor to haul off some huge boulders (6'-8'), that were in the way of construction... The designer later decided that they need some rocks in the landscaping... They bought back the same boulders that the had paid to get rid of... They weren't cheap...

Butch

Oh, Josh I have read this entire post (all 32 pages) and am just amazed by what you have done... "You've come a long way, baby" as the old cigarette commercial said;)..

Edited by Butch

10 hours ago, Butch said:

True... I was working on a jobsite once, where the builder paid a contractor to haul off some huge boulders (6'-8'), that were in the way of construction... The designer later decided that they need some rocks in the landscaping... They bought back the same boulders that the had paid to get rid of... They weren't cheap...

Butch

Oh, Josh I have read this entire post (all 32 pages) and am just amazed by what you have done... "You've come a long way, baby" as the old cigarette commercial said;)..

Thanks for the very kind words Butch!!! This project has been a passion of mine and will always be a work in progress :)

Sunset zone 24

Dypsis 'white triangle' is a gorilla now

Cabadae x decaryi

5.jpg.87b675007fe447c82bc87f0d936496a0.jpg

• Like 4

Sunset zone 24

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

since creating this thread sooo many years ago lots of my bigger palms have out grown their original locations. I had planted this copernicia curtissii blue form under low hanging power lines thinking it would never get that tall. Boy! Was I wrong.. lol  It grew very fast for me in my red sandy DG soil. This particular species produces pups at the base which is very unusual for the copernecia genus.  The blue form of curtissii is very hard to come by. I'm feeling grateful to have such a rare gem to look at when I walk my fairviewnursery.com nursery display garden

IMG_5495.jpg.139896508f79c5af5e3ae38867a8b7f6.jpgIMG_5506.jpg.cdf649dfad5d926e4f14f18a5d6071a0.jpgIMG_5508.jpg.fba306146c13cc7e580f2b7893c23801.jpgIMG_5511.jpg.69f3fbfad5ffffb8209f3dd5400c7cd4.jpg models.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Been on a self imposed multi year palm hiatus, so this is the first time I’ve seen this thread, super impressive work you’ve done there. Wow! Been sitting here drooling all day going through this thread. I’m stuck in quarantine since I currently have a case of covid, so this was a great read today while I’m sick. 

How’s that B. compacta doing? I have a similar one and it’s been a slow grower.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

On 11/19/2019 at 6:58 PM, Josh-O said:

Dypsis 'white triangle' is a gorilla now

Cabadae x decaryi

5.jpg.87b675007fe447c82bc87f0d936496a0.jpg

Man that's beautiful! I Definitely have to get me one!

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:43 PM, Josh-O said:

since creating this thread sooo many years ago lots of my bigger palms have out grown their original locations. I had planted this copernicia curtissii blue form under low hanging power lines thinking it would never get that tall. Boy! Was I wrong.. lol  It grew very fast for me in my red sandy DG soil. This particular species produces pups at the base which is very unusual for the copernecia genus.  The blue form of curtissii is very hard to come by. I'm feeling grateful to have such a rare gem to look at when I walk my fairviewnursery.com nursery display garden

IMG_5495.jpg.139896508f79c5af5e3ae38867a8b7f6.jpgIMG_5506.jpg.cdf649dfad5d926e4f14f18a5d6071a0.jpgIMG_5508.jpg.fba306146c13cc7e580f2b7893c23801.jpgIMG_5511.jpg.69f3fbfad5ffffb8209f3dd5400c7cd4.jpg models.

You mean those Pups couldn’t have been put into a 3ga Pot w my Name written on one when you transplanted that monster? Lol

I enjoyed trawling through this thread this morning. Thank you for sharing!

(Is it weird to admit I enjoyed the concrete work in your nursery almost as much as the palms?)

On 11/26/2020 at 10:39 AM, Eastendr said:

I enjoyed trawling through this thread this morning. Thank you for sharing!

(Is it weird to admit I enjoyed the concrete work in your nursery almost as much as the palms?)

it is quality work :) It really sets apart my garden in a ton of ways

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

On 11/26/2020 at 1:22 AM, Briank said:

You mean those Pups couldn’t have been put into a 3ga Pot w my Name written on one when you transplanted that monster? Lol

hahahaha

you can come look at it any time you want :)

Sunset zone 24

On 11/25/2020 at 5:31 PM, freakypalmguy said:

Been on a self imposed multi year palm hiatus, so this is the first time I’ve seen this thread, super impressive work you’ve done there. Wow! Been sitting here drooling all day going through this thread. I’m stuck in quarantine since I currently have a case of covid, so this was a great read today while I’m sick. 

How’s that B. compacta doing? I have a similar one and it’s been a slow grower.

Matt

The butia compacta is a beast now. Its probably the bluest palm in the nursery garden now

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Josh-O said:

The butia compacta is a beast now. Its probably the bluest palm in the nursery garden now

get well amigo!!

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

Zombia A is is starting to go vertical. This has been an extremely slow grower for me but well worth the wait :)

IMG_5523.jpg.46dd169ec8fe95fb1e805fd2133faebe.jpgIMG_5524.jpg.a4d6897b5a2f1c062749ccbdbf57d370.jpgIMG_5526.jpg.246f1ee9bfbc3dfb962d0a933f595a47.jpgIMG_5527.jpg.b81ae21e6f8f066fb73313a0d8521243.jpg

• Like 5

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Josh, How did the Accoelloraphe handle its transplant? Did you dig it in one day, or root prune it over time? I have a decent sized one that is in a bad spot at my house that I want to move to a different spot but I don’t wanna kill it, any tips? Thank you

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 2 months later...

Hi Josh, I’ve been doing a couple of pages per night for the last few nights and I’m pretty sad that I finished the thread! By far the best thing I have seen on the internet! Your garden project is amazing! I love the effort you put in and the different types of palms you have sourced, I’m pretty jealous you have access to such cool palms especially all the dypsis hybrids! I live on the costa Blanca south in Spain near Elche and we have a very similar climate and your project is a great motivation for me and has given me lots of cool ideas. We are very limited here so I’m trying to get as many types of seed as possible and this year hope to build a decent green house ( nothing like what you have lol) just for personal use. Keep up the good work and if I even manage to get over to California one day I would love to visit! 

again.... such an awesome place you are creating! Someone should come and make a video for you like what they have done for Floribunda B)

Edited by TropicalGardenSpain
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Josh- trying to find a way to contact you. I got a new phone and for some reason FB doesn’t recognize me. 
Temporarily please use my gmail

dmgweiss@gmail.con

Thanks, Denise

On 11/25/2020 at 11:22 PM, Briank said:

Love curtissii . Have a few of these and a small one in the ground . Awesome growers in full inland sun . 

• 1 year later...

Time sure do fly by fast these days. It seems like yesterday that I started this thread when I was building my garden.  I have not posted any pictures for many years but I must say there are a lot of big 'ol trunking palms, Dypsis ETC in the garden now.  

Who's  ready for a garden update??

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

These are my favorite threads, please post photos! They are the best part of this site is seeing what people can do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Time sure do fly by fast these days. It seems like yesterday that I started this thread when I was building my garden.  I have not posted any pictures for many years but I must say there are a lot of big 'ol trunking palms, Dypsis ETC in the garden now.  

Who's  ready for a garden update??

Hell yes!

• Like 1

Oh great….more pictures to see how perfectly grown plants can actually look. (As I turn around to look at my work in confusion and frustration) 🤬

-dale. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Billeb said:

Oh great….more pictures to see how perfectly grown plants can actually look. (As I turn around to look at my work in confusion and frustration) 🤬

-dale. 

🤣

Sunset zone 24

Decided to plant a 2 fer Dypsis nauseosa today. I’ve had these palms in the greenhouse for over 5 years and they still aren’t that big but, they are fully rooted out and ready to get grounded

1A8A5A08-0EC7-4992-8D95-A0149ACFEC6E.jpeg

86A8F9C6-90B2-4D6D-A64A-B408190E4966.jpeg

6739522B-2CA4-4EAD-85EC-40E62A92F5FB.jpeg

E61ABCEB-2D7E-4537-BCDE-C7EA0D25C9DD.jpeg

• Like 18

Sunset zone 24

When I planted this Dypsis hybrid ‘White Triangle’ ( Cabadae x decaryi ) it wasn’t that big. Now it’s almost 18’ tall with monster sized trunks. It towers in the garden rather nicely making it an excellent canopy tree

BCA36D81-CAD3-4CFB-9CDA-86E5B7044908.jpeg

435B40F2-8A06-4970-A3DC-6CBAE6BE57FA.jpeg

• Like 21

Sunset zone 24

6 hours ago, Rob123 said:

Post more of your Dypsis Josh! Pretty please 😜

I’ll ad more pics in a couple days 

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

6 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Let’s see the tahina . 

It’s getting big now :)

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

Josh,

It is nice to have you back!

I am definitely ready for an update! 😀 

Greetings from Okinawa -

Lars 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Josh,

It is nice to have you back!

I am definitely ready for an update! 😀 

Greetings from Okinawa -

Lars 

Thanks Lars

I’m back now. Drifted to the far side  of social media and missed this place 

Sunset zone 24

I Added another unique Dypsis hybrid to the garden collection. Dypsis cabadae x lutescens made its way  between to Variegated Agave ‘Super Nova’s’ I grew this from a tiny seedling and waited until I made sure it was the real McCoy. Now it’s in its forever home

6FA3C7C7-1629-42AC-946A-4E2CCFD1961C.jpeg

B5919B4A-8A91-48AD-A9F9-1A5BB3923E7D.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Basselinia pancheri With multiple rings of trunk were  finally grounded today in a filtered light area where I hope to see them get big one day .

705A76BC-FDF6-45C9-86FC-10D0713F0AC7.jpeg

45EF5614-0B45-4E5E-91E4-1D3063B81CA7.jpeg

• Like 11

Sunset zone 24

Dypsis Beff finally put up a couple flowers. Freaking took long enough.. 😂 I’m guessing this double is around 17 + years old now from seed.

7BF447B6-2D1B-4313-AF7F-2D91FA873BB2.jpeg

115AAF44-CCE7-4B61-B40A-F53B6C6043F6.jpeg

27853804-C127-4637-A76C-5B61147E54A4.jpeg

B71B1A50-539A-494A-BB20-D105E768AD43.jpeg

• Like 11

Sunset zone 24

13 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Great to see you posting updates Josh!  Keep them coming! 

Thanks Jason I’m officially back 🙂 it’s been far too long and I was starting to miss this community 

• Like 3

Sunset zone 24