IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

the funny thing was when we were digging the hole we hit a can in the dirt.  we realized it was a 1970's coors beer can with a Rav X root inside looking for a drink.

too funny...

IMG_4336.JPG.3ab6807401ffc9f93e47ff50740IMG_4337.JPG.bd4b3fe5ab6286920a33256f847IMG_4338.JPG.dd6c05c203e16ea466964412624

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I have been reading and watching this thread so many times and I never knew when to

jump in to leave a comment - it always seemed to be the wrong moment or time, with

all those ongoing small dialogs here and there and follow up comments...

However better late than never:

Josh, this an amazing piece of work! Absolutely great! Seeing so many palms in such a good shape

is not just nice to watch, I think it is helpful to learn how to distinguish one from another in detail, not

to mention the enormous scientific value at all - growing them all so far from their origin areas in the 

world.

I wish you all the best with this project and I hope that all of your "babies" will do very well in their new

habitat!

best regards

palmfriend

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Wow...I am not sure I have ever seen Rav X that big...

I'm praying it will make it. The one I dug out over a year ago at Victors garden is now on it 4th frond. these are much larger and I will be happy if just 1 pulls through

Sunset zone 24

8 hours ago, palmfriend said:

I have been reading and watching this thread so many times and I never knew when to

jump in to leave a comment - it always seemed to be the wrong moment or time, with

all those ongoing small dialogs here and there and follow up comments...

However better late than never:

Josh, this an amazing piece of work! Absolutely great! Seeing so many palms in such a good shape

is not just nice to watch, I think it is helpful to learn how to distinguish one from another in detail, not

to mention the enormous scientific value at all - growing them all so far from their origin areas in the 

world.

I wish you all the best with this project and I hope that all of your "babies" will do very well in their new

habitat!

best regards

palmfriend

wow! thanks for the very kind words Palmfriend. I'm glad you showed up on my thread :) 

this garden project has truly been fun but very trying at times. My goal is to plant only rare palms and trees for everyone to enjoy.

cheers,

Josh-O

Sunset zone 24

More amazing palms planted those Ravenaea X are outstanding

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

12 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Any luck on that drone footage??

I have not had time yet. but when I do I'll give Jim a call for a flyover.

Sunset zone 24

8 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

More amazing palms planted those Ravenaea X are outstanding

Thanks Troy.

I spent about 1 hour root pruning and cauterizing. I hope they make it ??

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to report  each ravenea xerophila has pushed 1 new inch of spear. I know I'm not out of the woods yet but its exciting to see the spears actually move. It has now been 21 days since I dug those monsters up.

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

I decided to do a little planting this week in the Vista garden. The sun was shining and the birds were chirping so I was a bit motivated to play in the dirt...lol....I decided to plant a couple pseudophoenix palms in the Caribbean section of the garden. thanks for looking :) 

56fea8ebcf9be_IMG_4564(4).JPG.ac1cb9d305bottom left is a pseudophoenix eckmanii and top right is a pseudophoenix vinifera

• Upvote 4

Sunset zone 24

sorry about the sideways shots. maybe Pando can fix them? 

pseudophoenix eckmanii  close up shots

IMG_4559.JPG.9a88b1f4f6648fdb90414e4f3d0IMG_4560.JPG.f125d23457926634517ef6f0043

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Josh-O said:

sorry about the sideways shots. maybe Pando can fix them? 

LoL, a few mai tais takes care of that automagically

Just now, Pando said:

LoL, a few mai tais takes care of that automagically

:floor: mai tais' 

I always use my iphone. and for some reason when I up load the pictures from my phone they all tilt sideways. On my computer they are all straight. I don't know whats going in?

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Josh-O said:

:floor: mai tais' 

I always use my iphone. and for some reason when I up load the pictures from my phone they all tilt sideways. On my computer they are all straight. I don't know whats going in?

Age-old problem with this forum software. It doesn't properly recognize the orientation metadata (portrait/landscape). The solution is to open the file in Windows Paint and save it (without editing). Then it will upload properly.

2 minutes ago, Pando said:

IMG_4559_JPG_9a88b1f4f6648fdb90414e4f3d065ea8.jpg

IMG_4560_JPG_f125d23457926634517ef6f004380a8d.jpg

can you explain in detail how you are doing that?

Sunset zone 24

1 minute ago, Josh-O said:

windows paint?

Sunset zone 24

I saved the attachments from the forum (they appeared straight in Windows). Open them in Paint, then save. Then upload the photos and they're straight. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by Pando

4 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

thanks pando!!!!

IMG_4561.JPG.41c37cbda4ebc1f2708db71422eIMG_4562.JPG.a53f93b447804fe0188dd482ac9

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

It works like this:

You take a photo with your iPhone and it's 1200x800 pixels. But because your phone was held vertical, the picture is still saved 1200 wide x 800 high, but the orientation metadata is set to "Portrait" (because the phone knows which way you hold it).

You copy the file to Windows and it knows how to handle the metatadata, and the picture appears correctly.

You post the file to forum and that software isn't aware of the "Portrait" metadata, so it displays 1200 x 800 (landscape mode), appears sideways.

But, if you open the file in Paint and then save it, it will actually rewrite the image as 800x1200 without the "Portrait" metadata. When you post that to the forum, it appears correct.

Edited by Pando

just planted this OCWS (Orange crown-shaft white stem)yesterday. This was a very heavy palm with a large root ball that 3 of us could barley move around.

I have been looking for this palm in any size for almost 5 yrs now. When the opportunity came up I jumped on it. is anyone else growing this big dypsis?

IMG_4556.JPG.38a5d9011e08acb6413526637373 x 2 hole

IMG_4573.JPG.b253165426ae7a04f8e14fe589f just dug it up

IMG_4583.JPG.7fc2c19600895eef9dd51aea7ecalmost to its final resting place

IMG_4584.JPG.9c08eda4bcc96061a8a726a8dcewe about died slowly putting it in that bis explictive hole we dug

• Upvote 4

Sunset zone 24

IMG_4585.JPG.6b2f4a74a480023c661f75a4459 this is why its called OCWS

IMG_4586.JPG.4099b9e87e5f8f83f5f0a5b2077IMG_4588.JPG.041c0d0de90ad7609d93f5186b2 finished product.. Yipeeeee!!

• Upvote 7

Sunset zone 24

Wow, this place is seriously going to be a rare palm museum. In ten years, can you imagine a video tour of it on PalmTalk?

• Upvote 1

That`s indeed a heavy looking "guy" - but a really good looking one as well!!

It is very interesting to see how the background of your pictures is more and more filled

with the plants you have placed before. I am sure, one day you can get up every morning,

walking around your garden and can endlessly discover new things (new spears, opening leafs,

a few more inches of trunk, species which need more attention etc.) - a wonderful imagination!

Please keep going with this project and keep us updated (even if it takes more time with every new

placed beauty) :D

best regards

• Upvote 1

Josh, I have found the OCWS to not be nearly as tolerant of dry weather as the big Curley type.. The shade you have there is a GOOD thing.. :)

• Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 3/11/2016, 8:20:50, Josh-O said:

so you can say I was a busy guy yesterday.......

I dug to freaking HUGE specimen ravenea xerophila yesterday morning.:drool:

I'm hoping and praying they will survive the dig.

I took all precautionary measures while digging. 

1) large root ball

2) hydrated plants

3) sharp cutting sheers for root pruning

4) sharp sure shot digging shovels

5) blow touch for root cauterizing 

6) tightly wrapped root balls with necessary supplies

7) the skill and know how to transport the precious cargo

etc...................

they are now tucked away in their permanent spots?? I HOPE..

sorry about the sideways pictures buy my computer will not let me rotate them :( 

IMG_4326.JPG.1e1695f27cd2c45cb626cc830bbIMG_4328.JPG.fd3ff4bdee1ccc83ded7313b24aIMG_4330.JPG.ae10aaaa34b4d2fd702168296ffIMG_4331.JPG.ad632a45627404c9b10c1958ada

I remember when Gary used to like Palms... ;)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

15 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Wow, this place is seriously going to be a rare palm museum. In ten years, can you imagine a video tour of it on PalmTalk?

I never thought of it like that but I guess it would a pretty cool place in 10 yrs

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, palmfriend said:

That`s indeed a heavy looking "guy" - but a really good looking one as well!!

It is very interesting to see how the background of your pictures is more and more filled

with the plants you have placed before. I am sure, one day you can get up every morning,

walking around your garden and can endlessly discover new things (new spears, opening leafs,

a few more inches of trunk, species which need more attention etc.) - a wonderful imagination!

Please keep going with this project and keep us updated (even if it takes more time with every new

placed beauty) :D

best regards

thanks for the kind words :) 

I plan on running this thread for years to come. The garden is only 1 year old and has lots of really big rare palms planted out. If you look on the first few pages of this thread you can see I used a crane to bring in many of these palms.

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

;)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Gary can still visit his garden by going to Josh's. :)

• Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Don't think I remember this thread .... will go back to the beginning when I got an hour or so....do you have problems with gophers where you live?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

1 hour ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Don't think I remember this thread .... will go back to the beginning when I got an hour or so....do you have problems with gophers where you live?

I have gophers pop up on occasion. I have become a real pro on killing those suckers.

Not to mention I own a gopher X machine.

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

On 4/2/2016, 11:37:27, LJG said:

Gary can still visit his garden by going to Josh's. :)

;)

Sunset zone 24

here is another gem of a palm I planted this week at the vista garden.

dypsis basilonga

This was a very east dig and I pray that it makes it. I was able to get a huge intact root ball. It took three of us to lift it out of the hole and dam near broke all our backs in the process. I believe the bigger the root ball the better.

I also have a very large specimen growing at my carlsbad garden but it pale in comparison to this one below.

enjoy the pictures. :) 

IMG_4577.JPG.219d5d8171d30114bf02525b934 before

IMG_4576.JPG.97071b4c050c531061b7483e775

IMG_4575.JPG.4fd1e674805ff9011bc939b7706

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

IMG_4578.JPG.115572515596ab8429ae4f9f05cIMG_4579.JPG.e518069739f998002b08047d6c1IMG_4580.JPG.f8749a6e3e69fd167771349921b

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

IMG_4581.JPG.dcc6c0b719bbdcb729863dc9750 after picture.... It planted very well. the root bal remained in-tact untill the very end of the process

IMG_4582.JPG.259bdf1608431747e5bdc0f1d6dBasil leaves in their full glory

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

anyone else growing this palm?

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I was gifted a huge 10 foot wide seashore palm from a fellow palm talker "Quaman"It was relatively easy dig for two people. The root ball weighed around 300 pounds and was super tough to load up in my lifted up truck. Unloading it was a snap of course. I am posting these pictures to my iPad so I hope they come out OK? This was strategically planted in a pathway intersection. This truly is a statement piece and thanks again Brett!

image.thumb.jpg.4939d9b31ee6f02fa0b5f2f0image.thumb.jpg.7a99f182f584a2c52fc7ff75image.thumb.jpg.effad657dc595ce58112c4ab

• Upvote 5

Sunset zone 24