IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

6 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Warning:  Many negative reviews for Pauwlonia tomentosa due to its invasiveness:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/391/

I agree. I've seen this tree destroy drive ways and sidewalks. 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I planted this little guy on Wednesday. I took a break from the boring irrigation work and slid this puppy into the ground.

its 2 25 gal Copernecia berteroana I had laying in the ground that needed to find a good home in the garden.

enjoy the pictures.:greenthumb:

IMG_3321.JPG.4c1169733910e3117bac04edb83IMG_3324.JPG.5c67226bda99b4c061ebbf8200c

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

I finally decided to plant a very nice 20 gal Syagrus Ruschiana specimen this week. I have been toying with this palm for over a year now and just now decided to plant it in the garden. This is a very unique suckering syagrus that boasts slender trunks, wispy plumos leaves and doesn't grow to big here in California.

is anyone else in growing this palm?

IMG_3323.JPG.ed5707858fbe2695cb945767ea1IMG_3327.JPG.1b7412591cd72067f2e1f78786d

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

just planted a double Ravenea glauca the other day. This is a super easy grow here in southern california and are just awesome looking when they mature.

enjoy the pictures

IMG_3316.JPG.4afbc9120df56bdfb9e688511cfIMG_3317.JPG.f635f7873730a79763151f6fd40

Sunset zone 24

IMG_3338.JPG.ba39e2421d04679a0e84cb1340b here is the finished product. If you look closely to the left you can see the pathways really starting to take shape. thanks for looking :) 

Sunset zone 24

Some serious plantings and palms.  Your soil is very good for Socal.  I wish mine is half as good.  I hit claypan after a couple of inches.

1 hour ago, BigFrond said:

Some serious plantings and palms.  Your soil is very good for Socal.  I wish mine is half as good.  I hit claypan after a couple of inches.

Where in San Marcos do you live? I'll be at the garden late morning/early afternoon if you want to stop by for a tour?

The dirt at the garden is very dreamy :wub:

Sunset zone 24

Did you plant the two ravenea glauca super close so that they curve away from each other?  Cool plan.

Edited by Sandy Loam

Josh-

whats the tally ?

whats the total # of palms planted so far and what is the approx ultimate total ?????????????????????????????

1 hour ago, trioderob said:

Josh-

whats the tally ?

whats the total # of palms planted so far and what is the approx ultimate total ?????????????????????????????

Whats the happiness you have seeing this Palmetum taking forms and life?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

23 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Did you plant the two ravenea glauca super close so that they curve away from each other?  Cool plan.

I sure did, I thought it would ad character to the garden when they start to curve away from each other. This Palm has grown on me this last year. I was thinking of actually planting a quad instead of a double.

Sunset zone 24

13 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

When are the trunking Cocos Nucifera gonna get planted...?:yay:

Gosh, I think the spot where I was going to plant a coconut I'm now going to plant a Sabrina magnifica:D

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Whats the happiness you have seeing this Palmetum taking forms and life?

This new garden has brought me great joy thus far, although It's not even close to being done. I'm seeing a vision come to fruition :)

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, trioderob said:

MANY

Many many many. I don't know how many I now have in the garden to date. I almost don't whant to know

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Josh-O said:

Many many many. I don't know how many I now have in the garden to date. I almost don't whant to know

Because if one dies then I will know what the actual count will be minus one :crying:

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

On 12/8/2015, 10:10:31, Josh-O said:

epic

18 hours ago, trioderob said:

epic

I was planning on planting a couple more palms today but its raining pretty darn hard.

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I was planning on planting a couple more palms today but its raining pretty darn hard.

When It Rains, us Clay Palm Guys go running outside to dig! LOL.  Lucky you can choose to stay inside with that love soil you got up there!

I think you guys are getting more rain than we did.  My yard didn't even get wet under canopy.  Little better than drizzle, this one.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Briank said:

When It Rains, us Clay Palm Guys go running outside to dig! LOL.  Lucky you can choose to stay inside with that love soil you got up there!

true that Brian! the soil is truly dreamy at the vista garden but at my house is a different story. I just lost a very holy grail dypsis at my Carlsbad garden due to poor drainage in clay :( 

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I think you guys are getting more rain than we did.  My yard didn't even get wet under canopy.  Little better than drizzle, this one.

I thought you got nailed with rain ?

Sunset zone 24

2 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I thought you got nailed with rain ?

Not here...I think it must have been further north.  Nothing steady and nothing heavy here.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

5 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

true that Brian! the soil is truly dreamy at the vista garden but at my house is a different story. I just lost a very holy grail dypsis at my Carlsbad garden due to poor drainage in clay :( 

Noooo! What was it? 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

2 hours ago, LJG said:

Noooo! What was it? 

a very large dypsis canaliculata. :( I'm still crying ..booo hooo

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Not here...I think it must have been further north.  Nothing steady and nothing heavy here.

I just saw the 5 day report. looks like we are in for some cold nights ahead :( 

Sunset zone 24

Here are some pictures of our fellow palm talker Mr. Brian K.

He visited the garden this Thursday for some palms, a PRA, and a little fun:)

IMG_3420.JPG.78f2aa686158e6f30dfba646d4f Brian with a very blue copernicia prunifera

IMG_3421.JPG.16e8afd87ed08df902689924cdbflowering pseudophoenix sargentii

IMG_3422.JPG.1e3416f578adb5e19ffbee8da98trunking dypsis saintelucei

Thanks again for stopping by Brian 

Sunset zone 24

Your new garden just keeps looking better and better. Good work Josh!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

9 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I just saw the 5 day report. looks like we are in for some cold nights ahead :( 

No freezes expected, I'm good with that...

Ben Rogers

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

No freezes expected, I'm good with that...

Amen to that. I'd rather have cold nights with out any freezing temps.

We got hammered with rain down here in San Diego yesterday:greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Your new garden just keeps looking better and better. Good work Josh!

Thanks Steve :) I've planted about 20 more palms in the ground since you came by last. I'm starting to put in some canopy trees now.

Sunset zone 24

Looks awesome ! Palms everywhere, palms galore! Gonna be a magical place! Makes me wanna go buy another property with more space after seeing what the imagination can do! Keep it up, will be back soon to see more progress and buy more palms! Thanks for showing me around and inlighten me on more stuff I could grow! 

25 minutes ago, Briank said:

Looks awesome ! Palms everywhere, palms galore! Gonna be a magical place! Makes me wanna go buy another property with more space after seeing what the imagination can do! Keep it up, will be back soon to see more progress and buy more palms! Thanks for showing me around and inlighten me on more stuff I could grow! 

My pleasure Brian!

Sunset zone 24

here are a few canopy trees I planted recently in the garden. All these will be very fast growers except acacia tortilis. this one is slow but well worth the wait.

IMG_3308.JPG.a3849aa4046d627cd9be98ce43facacia dealbata

IMG_3309.JPG.a5c927a7cf4b6a87207467ac52facacia tortilis

Sunset zone 24

IMG_3310.JPG.9616fd356a2c2f0ea30653b06dbrainbow euc. Its hard to believe this was a 1" inch seedling just 4 months ago. It's now over 2' tall

IMG_3311.JPG.a03b6d6f4aa9e922300977df9d0schizolobium parahyba

Sunset zone 24

IMG_3312.JPG.aba6e8ea43ec6ffc2589dbf9a3danother acacia dealbata. this little bugger is only 51/2 months from seed and is almost 3' tall already. They are rocket ship fast.

Sunset zone 24