IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

8 hours ago, Moose said:

Can't seem to locate Triode in any of the pics ? :huh:

:huh:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Josh-O said:

no, just my helper and Dennis with a bunch of palm talkers pitching in their time to help out.

getting ready to plant a monster black stem. I'm sure I'll post pictures?

Sunset zone 24

Holy cow, Josh.  I just tuned into this project and my jaw has dropped. This is massive....the labour, the $$$, wow.  You can never sell this place once it becomes your personal paradise.  

I can't wait to see it once the understory plants are in the ground and the pathways are installed. I usually don't like stamped concrete, but the grey samples shown early looked surprisingly natural. The fake flagstone actually looked like real flagstone.

All you need is a tiki bar so you can serve your friends drinks while overlooking the island paradise. If you build it far enough from the tenants, you won't have to worry about getting a little rowdy. That property looks huge, man!

Can't wait to follow this thread into 2016. Wow, what a project!

2 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Holy cow, Josh.  I just tuned into this project and my jaw has dropped. This is massive....the labour, the $$$, wow.  You can never sell this place once it becomes your personal paradise.  

I can't wait to see it once the understory plants are in the ground and the pathways are installed. I usually don't like stamped concrete, but the grey samples shown early looked surprisingly natural. The fake flagstone actually looked like real flagstone.

All you need is a tiki bar so you can serve your friends drinks while overlooking the island paradise. If you build it far enough from the tenants, you won't have to worry about getting a little rowdy. That property looks huge, man!

Can't wait to follow this thread into 2016. Wow, what a project!

Thanks Sandy Loam,

this truly has been a labor of hard core love.. My new garden idea has been in the works for over 2 years now and I made it a reality this spring and went crazy planting already mature specimens. Originally I was not gonna post anything on Palm talk but I got bullied into starting a progressive thread showing conception -birth- to some day maturity. My garden is always open to Palm talk visitors for a little PRA ( Palm related activities) I truly have strived to put in very attractive and rare species for us in Southern California. 

I decided not to go with stamped concert after all. I'm gonna go for the heavily brushed broom effect. I think this will complement the garden better and not get distracted by fake stamped patterns and will give the pathways a natural flow.

i have a 650 sqft granny house that I'm gonna turn into a big tiki bar/office when I get things up and running next to the garden. I love entertaining guests and will have cold beer and mai Thais on hand at all times. Thanks for the super kind feed back. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right for once :) 

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

Thanks Sandy Loam,

this truly has been a labor of hard core love.. My new garden idea has been in the works for over 2 years now and I made it a reality this spring and went crazy planting already mature specimens. Originally I was not gonna post anything on Palm talk but I got bullied into starting a progressive thread showing conception -birth- to some day maturity. My garden is always open to Palm talk visitors for a little PRA ( Palm related activities) I truly have strived to put in very attractive and rare species for us in Southern California. 

I decided not to go with stamped concert after all. I'm gonna go for the heavily brushed broom effect. I think this will complement the garden better and not get distracted by fake stamped patterns and will give the pathways a natural flow.

i have a 650 sqft granny house that I'm gonna turn into a big tiki bar/office when I get things up and running next to the garden. I love entertaining guests and will have cold beer and mai Thais on hand at all times. Thanks for the super kind feed back. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right for once :) 

YEEEAH MAI TAIS!

i-am-captain-kirk.jpg

Carl

Vista, CA

Josh, I come back to this thread often just to check out the pics. Thanks for taking the time to share all this. 

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

It makes me feel like I'm doing something right for once :) 

If necessary, I too confirm you do a wonderful garden and a very interesting thread by kindly posting pictures of all that work.
Many thanks.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

52 minutes ago, nachocarl said:

YEEEAH MAI TAIS!

i-am-captain-kirk.jpg

Sunset zone 24

52 minutes ago, nachocarl said:

YEEEAH MAI TAIS!

i-am-captain-kirk.jpg

Sunset zone 24

1 minute ago, Josh-O said:

53 minutes ago, Pete in Paradise Hills said:

Josh, I come back to this thread often just to check out the pics. Thanks for taking the time to share all this. 

my pleasure Pete :) 

Sunset zone 24

52 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

It makes me feel like I'm doing something right for once :) 

If necessary, I too confirm you do a wonderful garden and a very interesting thread by kindly posting pictures of all that work.
Many thanks.

Thanks Philippe :) 

some day I will have a tropical jungle like rainforest

Sunset zone 24

56 minutes ago, nachocarl said:

YEEEAH MAI TAIS!

i-am-captain-kirk.jpg

Sunset zone 24

Dude, you've got a deal.  When I'm in Orange County next summer (June 8-12, 2016?), I will spend a day slaving shovel-in-hand in your Vista garden if you promise mai-tais as payment.    

1 hour ago, Sandy Loam said:

Dude, you've got a deal.  When I'm in Orange County next summer (June 8-12, 2016?), I will spend a day slaving shovel-in-hand in your Vista garden if you promise mai-tais as payment.    

Consider it done! 

By then I'll have a bunch more palms planted and the tiki bar will be roaring.

Sunset zone 24

On 11/25/2015, 2:34:52, Josh-O said:

Thanks Keith :greenthumb: It will be interesting to see how the garden evolves over the years.. So far I have a huge head start with big instant trees.

You do indeed have one heck of a head start, I was searching the lottery winners earlier to find your name, lol

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

On 11/27/2015, 9:30:42, _Keith said:

You do indeed have one heck of a head start, I was searching the lottery winners earlier to find your name, lol

Gosh. If I won the lottery I would have started a garden on the big island of Hawaii.:D

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

On 11/27/2015, 9:30:42, _Keith said:

:) 

Sunset zone 24

gonna plant some palms and canopy trees tomorrow.

I decided to plant a bunch of rainbow eucalyptus, schizolobium parahyba, Acacia dealbata, enterolobium (from Mardy D's garden) ETC

Is anyone else using these trees for canopy?

The all have extremely fast growth rates.

Sunset zone 24

Josh, I have Syagrus cearensis in my beach garden. Mine is a double and I really like the glaucous blue hue the leaves have. It is slower than I would have guessed.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

1 hour ago, scottgt said:

Josh, I have Syagrus cearensis in my beach garden. Mine is a double and I really like the glaucous blue hue the leaves have. It is slower than I would have guessed.

Scott,

yours sounds like a real beauty. When you get a chance post a picture.

Mine is also super slow..

Sunset zone 24

On 11/26/2015, 10:55:43, Josh-O said:

You can either find him in the vacuum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triode

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

3 minutes ago, _Keith said:

You can either find him in the vacuum.

The vacuum of DOOM???

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I decided to plant a bunch of rainbow eucalyptus, schizolobium parahyba, Acacia dealbata, enterolobium (from Mardy D's garden) ETC

Sweet :greenthumb:

I'd like to try a rainbow eu here. I want something that gets very high quickly. I recently bought some large bamboo for that and I'm excited to see it get big and fill in the corner where I planted it.

1 minute ago, Danilopez89 said:

Sweet :greenthumb:

I'd like to try a rainbow eu here. I want something that gets very high quickly. I recently bought some large bamboo for that and I'm excited to see it get big and fill in the corner where I planted it.

I think you could pull off a Rainbow euc?  I would start off in some protection and then let it punch through and it will provide some good canopy in a few years.

are you growing any acacia's? they love your climate.

Sunset zone 24

1 minute ago, Josh-O said:

I think you could pull off a Rainbow euc?  I would start off in some protection and then let it punch through and it will provide some good canopy in a few years.

For sure give the Rainbow a go.  Here in Zone 9a, I am pulling off an EarPod tree which is rated at best Zone 9a and most say 10a.   It even made it through the winter from hell, and it is a truly unique here.   

4 minutes ago, _Keith said:

For sure give the Rainbow a go.  Here in Zone 9a, I am pulling off an EarPod tree which is rated at best Zone 9a and most say 10a.   It even made it through the winter from hell, and it is a truly unique here.   

I just love the way  Enterolobium "earpod trees" look

I had no idea they were that cold hardy?

I have a bunch I germinated of Dr. Mardy D's.tree that are now in 1 gal pots. They are pretty fast growers.

How big was yours that survived your winter from hell.

Sunset zone 24

17 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Mine was still relatively small, about 10 feet.  The winter from hell had 3 days in a row around 21-22, a week later an ice storm, and a couple week after that 3 more days around 22-23.   I would guess 90% of the queens in the area were dead.  Even my CIDP was hit with 75% frond loss.   Don't get me wrong, the EarPod took a beating, but today, 2 years later it is nearing 20 feet.  Grows like a weed.

Just now, _Keith said:

Mine was still relatively small, about 10 feet.  The winter from hell had 3 days in a row around 21-22, a week later an ice storm, and a couple week after that 3 more days around 22-23.   I would guess 90% of the queens in the area were dead.  Even my CIDP was hit with 75% frond loss.   Don't get me wrong, the EarPod took a beating, but today, 2 years later it is nearing 20 feet.  Grows like a weed.

Hot Dam!! I'm stoked to hear this about your earpod tree. I always thought it was to sensitive to grow inland. My Vista garden can get near freezing temps to about a degree or two below freezing during super cold events in the open with out canopy. Under canopy it rarely gets below 35F.

I'm gonna plant a bunch of them tomorrow and I'll post pictures when I do :) 

Weed indeed with that growth rate:greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

2 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Hot Dam!! I'm stoked to hear this about your earpod tree. I always thought it was to sensitive to grow inland. My Vista garden can get near freezing temps to about a degree or two below freezing during super cold events in the open with out canopy. Under canopy it rarely gets below 35F.

I'm gonna plant a bunch of them tomorrow and I'll post pictures when I do :) 

Weed indeed with that growth rate:greenthumb:

Go for it.  I should add this is about only 4 years from seeds bought off of eBay.    If we had not had that 15 year record low winter, I have no doubt it would easily top 30 feet or maybe more.

Just now, _Keith said:

Go for it.  I should add this is about only 4 years from seeds bought off of eBay.    If we had not had that 15 year record low winter, I have no doubt it would easily top 30 feet or maybe more.

Whoa! talk about a fast growing canopy tree.

I saw them this year when I was in El Salvador and some were over 80' tall with trunks 8' wide

Sunset zone 24

50 minutes ago, Pando said:

Earpod tree...... you're gonna need a bigger yard   :o

8736269211_93873b02b1_n.jpg 

original.jpg

WOW!!!!

I wonder how old that behemoth is Ando?

I saw them that size when I was in south america in march.

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Have you seen "Sea Hibiscus" grown out there? I really like it! It has big heart shaped leaves and looks pretty cool and tropical. It can also be grown as a canopy provider if you let it get tall.

I found it as I was wondering around a local nursery down the street from my house. I was explaining to the nursery man that I wanted something that looks "tropical". He says "something like this" and points up. To my surprise, a tree that I hadn't ever seen around here and was instantly in love with those huge heart shaped leaves:wub:

IMG_20150907_50664.thumb.jpg.2a0d25c8ff3

Not a great pic to showcase it's beauty but it should give you an idea of what kind of canopy they can grow(google pics mainly show short bushy trees). The nursery man told me he had just trimmed about half off the top because it was giving too much shade to some other plants around. 

Here's some cool pics I ripped from Google...

IMG_20151201_46977.thumb.jpg.523b6bf0231IMG_20151201_10540.thumb.jpg.b0ff9b0b5a0

IMG_20151201_370.thumb.jpg.205399e8a1009

awesome tree!!  I've seen these many times but never have given them a second look. Now I want to plant some :wub:

great suggestion Danny :) 

Sunset zone 24

39 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

They grow on the beach... "sea hibiscus"

IMG_20151201_34330.thumb.jpg.448f3d111e4

IMG_20151201_53388.thumb.jpg.a38b57b4690IMG_20151201_2162.thumb.jpg.52cc06c1176e

awesome tree!!  I've seen these many times but never have given them a second look. Now I want to plant some :wub:

great suggestion Danny :) 

Sunset zone 24

The Hibiscus tiliaceus is a amazing small tree. I saw a few and fall in love.it makes yellow flowers in the morning, turning to orange in the afternoon.

Two good options more, are Acacia cyanophylla, fast and drought tolerant and with deciduous leaves, Pauwlonia tomentosa, the fastest tree i've never saw.

I planted one with only 20 cm in April and in October it had 4 meters.

Edited by Monòver

9 hours ago, Monòver said:

Two good options more, are Acacia cyanophylla, fast and drought tolerant and with deciduous leaves, Pauwlonia tomentosa, the fastest tree i've never saw.

Warning:  Many negative reviews for Pauwlonia tomentosa due to its invasiveness:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/391/

15 hours ago, Monòver said:

The Hibiscus tiliaceus is a amazing small tree. I saw a few and fall in love.it makes yellow flowers in the morning, turning to orange in the afternoon.

I really like the yellow flowers on the  Acacia cyanophylla when it blooms. I'm gonna look into this tree for the garden.

My old neighbor had a Pauwlonia tomentosa and it destroyed the driveway.

thanks for the suggestions. :) 

Sunset zone 24