IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

For in-ground palms I like the Dig 0-10 GPH adjustable drippers on a stake, they are in packs of 10 and 25 at HD. This is for the fact that they are adjustable, they stay put, tube goes in on the side, they can remain slightly elevated from dirt, can be cleaned by just unscrewing the cap, and work quite well.

680756a7-1767-4e57-9aad-a52cadce76e6_145

Smaller plants I have use the Dig 1 or 2GPH button drippers, but sometimes you are not quite sure if anything is coming out of them or not...

Ando, I use those exact drip emitters at my Carlsbad garden where I live. I'm considering using these in Vista? They are very versatile since they GPH range is so broad.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I use the DIG stuff too. I mostly use the button drippers but I have to keep a close eye. They'll get clogged and then pop off the tubing making for a mess. I've found that soaking the tubing in hot water helps attach it to the drippers. Overall it's a good setup and the price is right. 

Matt, What GPH out put do the button emitters put out? I'm not sure those will work for me since I cant run the 3/4 poly tubing close enough to many of the palms.

Sunset zone 24

I use 1, 2 (mostly), or 4gph, depending on the plant, but I have a relatively small garden so I'm able to run the tubing pretty close to everything and then I use the 1/8" tubing directly to the button drippers. 

Edited by Matt in OC
  • Upvote 1

I use 1, 2 (mostly), or 4gph, depending on the plant, but I have a relatively small garden so I'm able to run the tubing pretty close to everything and then I use the 1/8" tubing directly to the button drippers. 

Thanks for the feed back :) 

Sunset zone 24

Well, it finally happened. My  dypsis mananjarensis is officially trunking. I carefully pulled two of the old leaf bases off yesterday morning. I was very surprised to see how orange the trunk actually was. this is my favorite palm in the "vista garden" 

enjoy the pic's :) 

mealy_bug_3.thumb.jpeg.609534eb70268d07fbefore

mealy_bug_trunk_2.thumb.jpeg.06d68db7c39after

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

I decided to go with Ando's recommendation with the drip emitters. I worked all day last Thursday and was only able to complete 2 of the 12 irrigation zones I need to hook up.

I'm still working on grading the pathways in preparation of having concrete poured. Thanks everyone for all your awesome PM's and reply's to this progressive thread.

Cheers :) 

image8.thumb.jpeg.309b74990970824bfdceadimage7.thumb.jpeg.5778c51ea13c5a0bdad05aimage5.thumb.jpeg.700d09239f0f7b2c8bc485image6.thumb.jpeg.6b66f3bc104fef2bc355d8

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Looks nice Josh! :)  I should get there sometime to check this project out.

One more recommendation - before pouring concrete, put some empty 3/4" pvc pipes across the path at strategic places and cap them. You never know when you need to run more irrigation lines or wires for low voltage landscape lighting. PVC is cheap, and it will save you the headache of trying to push things under the concrete later on.

• Upvote 3

I decided to go with Ando's recommendation with the drip emitters. I worked all day last Thursday and was only able to complete 2 of the 12 irrigation zones I need to hook up.

I'm still working on grading the pathways in preparation of having concrete poured. Thanks everyone for all your awesome PM's and reply's to this progressive thread.

image8.thumb.jpeg.309b74990970824bfdceadimage7.thumb.jpeg.5778c51ea13c5a0bdad05aimage5.thumb.jpeg.700d09239f0f7b2c8bc485image6.thumb.jpeg.6b66f3bc104fef2bc355d8

In few months, it will look like Gardens by the Bay Singapore, wonderful garden :)

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

In few months, it will look like Gardens by the Bay Singapore, wonderful garden :)

Thanks Philippe :)  I still have a lot to put in the ground before our planting season comes to an end. When the pathways go in the garden it should really come alive with character. 

Cheers

Sunset zone 24

gonna be planting tomorrow...

stay tuned peeps!!!

Sunset zone 24

Well, I put planting off for a couple weeks to work on getting the pathways laid out to get ready for concrete. I had a couple of PRA helpers in the garden today to help out.

The weather was perfect for getting the hands dirty.

IMG_2933.thumb.JPG.7e118378547f6ef31a124Dennis W. and Adam M.(Akamu on palm talk) discussing palms on a quick break.

Adam showing off his manly muscles while tamping the pathway. (my hero:D

IMG_2935.thumb.JPG.53007c0e7f6885ee3f23d

thanks again fellas for coming out and dropping some sweat in the garden!!

Edited by Josh-O

Sunset zone 24

Nice work by the lads there Josh!!! 

BTW... has the mealy bug managed the "magic 3" "  of push on the spear yet?  That way I would be reasonably safe it made it from the transplant..

(Sorry if you already mentioned it... this is a big thread! :D )

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nice work by the lads there Josh!!! 

BTW... has the mealy bug managed the "magic 3" "  of push on the spear yet?  That way I would be reasonably safe it made it from the transplant..

(Sorry if you already mentioned it... this is a big thread! :D )

Hi Bill, Since I planted it it it has pushed 20 inches of new spear. I marked it last month when Len was over and it has moves 6 inches since then. I think I'm in the clear.

The only palm I'm a bit concerned about is that ravenea sp. kengahli (how ever you spell it) I have lost 9 fronds. It has seemed to have stabilized now and still has about 10 fronds left.I have treated that palm twice just as a preventive measure. 

Sunset zone 24

Josh, I had to quit watching for a while when you put in the giant Clinostigma, the SoCal envy was getting too bad. :)  Your place is solid awesomeness and win!  Keep the pics coming, please.

Josh, I had to quit watching for a while when you put in the giant Clinostigma, the SoCal envy was getting too bad. :)  Your place is solid awesomeness and win!  Keep the pics coming, please.

Thanks Don. It defiantly a labor of love :) 

Sunset zone 24

It defiantly a labor of love :) 

Josh, a nice Freudian slip there, perhaps? :D

hahahahahaha :)  funny..

Sunset zone 24

Amazing job Josh.  This is very inspiring to see you build such a great garden starting with these specimens.   I can only imagine what it will look like in time. I would love to come out for a visit soon.  Go BIG Dypsis or Go Home!

More pics please!!!

Amazing job Josh.  This is very inspiring to see you build such a great garden starting with these specimens.   I can only imagine what it will look like in time. I would love to come out for a visit soon.  Go BIG Dypsis or Go Home!

More pics please!!!

Hi Jwad, you are always welcome to the garden. text me when your ready to swing on by. :) 

Sunset zone 24

I got side tracked today and did not get any palms in the ground instead I opted for a PRA

Eddie Green payed a visit today and had a blast as always. here are some pic's from today's adventure.

Enjoy :) 

IMG_2955.thumb.JPG.c028fccdaa93e404db58aflowering pseudophoenix sargentii

IMG_2959.thumb.JPG.5ea22b7ff1d7979cee26eslick willy (dypsis sp. Beff)

IMG_2960.thumb.JPG.39617a9e8d2edc71ce5f8trunking mealy bug palm

IMG_2961.thumb.JPG.a09410583011a03bc2091seeding Tri bear

IMG_2962.thumb.JPG.25c4fae5d727de35d5221in between a white triangle (left) and D. Prestoniana(right)

Thanks for coming By Eddie :) 

Sunset zone 24

Since we are slated for a mother of all winters. We have been working overtime to get the pathways carved out so we can pour concrete ASAP. I don't want all this hard work to go to waste :( and wash down the hill.

Here are some pictures of the pathways that have been laid out.

oct_2015_(2).thumb.JPG.4affa145d75b7a257

oct 2015 (3).JPG

Sunset zone 24

there is going to be roughly 800 ft of pathways when completed. 

I hope you enjoyed the pictures :greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

Man, that is a ton of work. Looking amazing, Josh!

Thanks Matt, I can honestly say that I'm very soar. lol 

been dropping  sweat over there

Sunset zone 24

OMG, did you leave one or two palms in Gardens By the Bay? It must look very bare now!

Philippe

OMG, did you leave one or two palms in Gardens By the Bay? It must look very bare now!

lol... this is the other side of the garden. I have not planted any palms there yert. It's still a blank canvas and I'm not sure what to plant yet. all the palms are still there.

your garden is amazing BTY :) :drool:

I love looking at you morning and evening garden posts. Keep them coming!!:greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

How big is the lot?

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

woooooooooow! so good and beautiful palms you've got, and bravo for the good job you've done in your garden :)

I mean (and I am jocking): did you take all the palms from Singapore Gardens by The Bay ? (where I have been very impressed by all the mature palms they planted around 2011). 

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37247-silver-garden-in-gardens-by-the-bay-singapore/#comment-581671

And , starting Doranakanda gardens only with seedlings, I admire the beauty of more adult palms you plant. In fact, I am very jealous (lol)

Philippe

How big is the lot?

John, it's 3 acres total. I'm only going to plant out a little over an acre.

Sunset zone 24

I mean (and I am jocking): did you take all the palms from Singapore Gardens by The Bay ? (where I have been very impressed by all the mature palms they planted around 2011). 

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37247-silver-garden-in-gardens-by-the-bay-singapore/#comment-581671

And , starting Doranakanda gardens only with seedlings, I admire the beauty of more adult palms you plant. In fact, I am very jealous (lol)

:) some fell into my lap

Sunset zone 24

woooooooooow! so good and beautiful palms you've got, and bravo for the good job you've done in your garden :)

Thanks Sam! It's been a labor of love :) 

Sunset zone 24

Its your dream garden so I guess your sold on the concrete pathways. I would have made the paths with hardwood mulch? It would only improve your soil overtime and looks really cool. It works really well in Jeff Searle's garden. 

When are you planting the monster Dypsis 'Black Stem'?

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B