IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

What Dypsis?

Plumosa?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What Dypsis?

Plumosa?

Dypsis Decipiens silly Doom.:mrlooney: you looking for some too?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

What Dypsis?

Plumosa?

i'm like dopey

i'm into EVERYTHING

Edited by DoomsDave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What Dypsis?

Plumosa?

i'm like dopey

i'm into EVERYTHMG

hahahahahaha, let me know when you want one. I have around 25 5 gals' growing up very nicely :) 

Sunset zone 24

What Dypsis?

Plumosa?

i'm like dopey

i'm into EVERYTHMG

hahahahahaha, let me know when you want one. I have around 25 5 gals' growing up very nicely :) 

Shoot me A PM

As silly as it may seam, that is not a "true" super DD. A red spear is found throughout DD as are green. So that is not the identifying characteristic. Mardy Darian coined super DD based off an adult's appearance. It had much more color in the crownshaft, red spear, some had opening reddish leaves, but the hardened off leaves on Super DD are glaucous. One thing I have noticed from smaller super DD is that the leaflets are regular where other DD are irregular like yours shows. I said "silly" because obviously people are going to provide their own labels and in the end it is still just a DD. Just a different looking forum someone added a title to. But if people are looking for a DD like the Super DD Mardy coined and found in his garden, this ain't it. Plus only a few people had this plant available for sale here, one being Mardy. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Does anyone have any problems with their dypsis decipiens??  I've killed 6  really big 25 gal's in the last 2 years. They are very fussy and root sensitive and hate to be over watered. your in put would be greatly appreciated :greenthumb::greenthumb:

I just planted out two 25 gals today and I hope I don't have any more problems in the future.

decipiens_3.thumb.jpeg.0a7cc42462576386d

decipiens_4.thumb.jpeg.64f74c23108cb3157

decipiens_2.thumb.jpeg.bcf309d2967db01a5

I lost a 24" boxed DD a few years ago at the old place.  I left in the open lawn for a month and when I went to plant it, it was already sending roots through box and into the ground.  There was some root damage and it only went backwards from there and died.....I cried.  I can't image loosing 6, that should require some sort of special memorial.:crying:

rip.jpg

• Like 1

Carl

Vista, CA

Does anyone have any problems with their dypsis decipiens??  I've killed 6  really big 25 gal's in the last 2 years. They are very fussy and root sensitive and hate to be over watered. your in put would be greatly appreciated :greenthumb::greenthumb:

I just planted out two 25 gals today and I hope I don't have any more problems in the future.

decipiens_3.thumb.jpeg.0a7cc42462576386d

decipiens_4.thumb.jpeg.64f74c23108cb3157

decipiens_2.thumb.jpeg.bcf309d2967db01a5

I lost a 24" boxed DD a few years ago at the old place.  I left in the open lawn for a month and when I went to plant it, it was already sending roots through box and into the ground.  There was some root damage and it only went backwards from there and died.....I cried.  I can't image loosing 6, that should require some sort of special memorial.:crying:

rip.jpg

I was pissed then san then pissed then sad then very pissed and F#*%ing sad..lol 

Sunset zone 24

Josh, looks nice, sorry about your DDs...

What amendments do you add to your soil around the rootballs? There are piles of blue bags of something on your pictures, and is the formula different for each species?

Hi Ando, those are actually bags of mortar for the stone work that is being done in the garden. :) 

As far as amending the soil......I  dont. The soil where my garden is absolutely phenomenal. I really lucked out.

Sunset zone 24

I Just planted  a really nice Sea shore palm (allagoptera arenaria) Wednesday morning at  the VISTA garden.This palm was strategically planted under the J. Caffra so they would not compete for space. I never liked this palm until I saw them in habitat in Brazil. You can say I had a change of heart...lol

enjoy the pic's :) 

sea_shore_1.thumb.jpeg.0433d1ebce1abb4ef

sea_shore_2.thumb.jpeg.533d5ca118036728c

Edited by Josh-O

Sunset zone 24

Josh, looks nice, sorry about your DDs...

What amendments do you add to your soil around the rootballs? There are piles of blue bags of something on your pictures, and is the formula different for each species?

Hi Ando, those are actually bags of mortar for the stone work that is being done in the garden. :) 

As far as amending the soil......I  dont. The soil where my garden is absolutely phenomenal. I really lucked out.

Sunset zone 24

That's awesome, Josh!

Thanks Ando!!

This project has been over whelming to say the least. It's fun to see a blank canvas transform into a tropical oasis. 

Call or PM me if you would like to have a personal tour?

:) 

Sunset zone 24

OMG

I haven't caught up with this thread since my last post on the first page..... :o CRAZY CRAZY stuff Josh. Never have I seen a D. managerensis planted at such a size :o!

Too many great specimens to name but the all the Coccothrinax, Copernicia and most of the Dypsis (Not including Plumosa ;)) are bloody rippers!!!! Great stuff!! I'm sure there is more to come, I remember a thread about a large Ravenea xerophila that you dug a while ago...... I'm expecting to see that palm in the ground soon?

:greenthumb:

I keep laughing watching this thread... (in a good way Josh)... I wonder which one of us will finally make it to the others place to see their gems.. (although I did get to your Carlsbad pad)

Looking great my friend!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Call or PM me if you would like to have a personal tour? :) 

Thanks Josh, I'll keep in touch, looking forward to it! Looks like about a 15 minute drive from me...  :)

OMG

I haven't caught up with this thread since my last post on the first page..... :o CRAZY CRAZY stuff Josh. Never have I seen a D. managerensis planted at such a size :o!

Too many great specimens to name but the all the Coccothrinax, Copernicia and most of the Dypsis (Not including Plumosa ;)) are bloody rippers!!!! Great stuff!! I'm sure there is more to come, I remember a thread about a large Ravenea xerophila that you dug a while ago...... I'm expecting to see that palm in the ground soon?

:greenthumb:

You have a great memory. I'm planning on putting the Ravenea X erophila in the ground in about 2-3 weeks. Its almost rooted into the 30" i put it in over a year ago.

Thanks for the kind comments :) 

Sunset zone 24

I keep laughing watching this thread... (in a good way Josh)... I wonder which one of us will finally make it to the others place to see their gems.. (although I did get to your Carlsbad pad)

Looking great my friend!

Can I stop by next week? Every time I google a particular palm I always come across some pictures of your garden...then I start to drool..lol :drool:

Sunset zone 24

Call or PM me if you would like to have a personal tour? :) 

Thanks Josh, I'll keep in touch, looking forward to it! Looks like about a 15 minute drive from me...  :)

15 or 20 min max

Sunset zone 24

Here is a not so common and a very hard to find palm that was planted at the VISTA garden last Wednesday. Its a brahea Moorei that was in a 24" box. No doubt this is a specimen size plant and I was very lucky to get one this size. My helper and I took great care in planting this in its final resting place. It took a long time to plant it since they are very root sensitive as most braheas are.

Please enjoy the pictures :) 

Moorei_1.thumb.jpeg.0553c00390808d3905d1 before (attalea cohune to the left of the hole for scale)

moorei_2.thumb.jpeg.5a4b393ed2d2fe57696fgot it in position

moorei_3.thumb.jpeg.353c519c42f46dfdb0a8got the sides off the box and the fronds are tied up.

moorei_4.thumb.jpeg.c0edcfcfc59144514cfbleaf detail. they are so silvery white on the undersides

moorei_5.thumb.jpeg.cb2023aa19dcda45af49after, the spread is almost 5' across

Edited by Josh-O
  • Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Here is a not so common and a very hard to find palm that was planted at the VISTA garden last Wednesday. Its a brahea Moorei that was in a 24" box. No doubt this is a specimen size plant and I was very lucky to get one this size. My helper and I took great care in planting this in its final resting place. It took a long time to plant it since they are very root sensitive as most braheas are.

Moorei_1.thumb.jpeg.0553c00390808d3905d1 before (attalea cohune to the left of the hole for scale)

moorei_3.thumb.jpeg.353c519c42f46dfdb0a8got the sides off the box and the fronds are tied up.

moorei_4.thumb.jpeg.c0edcfcfc59144514cfbleaf detail. they are so silvery white on the undersides

I love this palm!  I remember checking it out thinking it was something other than a Brahea.  I need to get one of those on the hill so I can look up it from the patio.

Carl

Vista, CA

I love this palm!  I remember checking it out thinking it was something other than a Brahea.  I need to get one of those on the hill so I can look up it from the patio.

They are extremely hard to find. It took me years to find this one and I had to dig it out of a garden.

Sunset zone 24

They are extremely hard to find. It took me years to find this one and I had to dig it out of a garden.

Sunset zone 24

Just planted this monster (for California standards) dypsis madagascariensis lucubensis thingy on Thursday. It's no doubt a cool and colorful palm. The new emergent spear is orange and the leaf arrangement is very plumose. 

please enjoy :) 

dypsis_madagascarensis_1.thumb.jpeg.3929

dypsis_madagascarensis_2.thumb.jpeg.f2db

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

In a word... WOW! Incredible soil,mature material;instant garden.I also like how you plant a little below grade.When covered with mulch,those trunks will be sprouting new roots leading to faster growth and healthier palms.VERY WELL DONE!!!!!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

In a word... WOW! Incredible soil,mature material;instant garden.I also like how you plant a little below grade.When covered with mulch,those trunks will be sprouting new roots leading to faster growth and healthier palms.VERY WELL DONE!!!!!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Thanks Scott. You nailed exactly what I'm trying to achieve..

It's not easy to get big mature specimens to start with here in California or anywhere in the west coast.

Nobody has big mature dypsis for sale here in california. I'm trying to change the Norm here so to speak of..

I have lots of big dypsis for sale currently.

Thanks for the kind note.

Sunset zone 24

most of the palm talkers who have visited the garden are calling the "dypsis ankaizinensis" or "dypsis type B" what ever it is is bad ass!! :D

It's a fun to look at palm for sure..

Thanks for looking :)   I hope you have enjoyed the pictures so far. I'm always open to feedbag and you comments...

Cheers,

Josh-O

Sunset zone 24

Congratulations! Wonderfull work, palms and project!

Does Vista get some frost? What about your microclimate (totaly frost free)?

Do you plan to plan some Encephalartos and other cycad?

All the best.

Jean-Michel

HOLY CRAP!!!!! That's an instant mature garden. You put some work in that's for sure. Looks crazy good. Can't wait to see it. When are you going to crane in the 40foot washies?  

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

When are you going to crane in the 40foot washies?  

Yea Josh, what's a SoCal garden without the washies; I have two just waiting to be dug - it'll be fun!

Edited by Pando

Congratulations! Wonderfull work, palms and project!

Does Vista get some frost? What about your microclimate (totaly frost free)?

Do you plan to plan some Encephalartos and other cycad?

All the best.

Jean-Michel

Hi Jean-Michel,

The lower parts of my property can get a light frost on those rare cold events that California can occasionally get. Where the garden is planted is on top of the hill (405'), south facing and really good micro climate. I'm planting lots of canopy trees to give it that rain forest feel.

I'm not certain about cycads yet. I still have not been bitten by that bog yet.

Thanks for you awesome feedback.:) 

Sunset zone 24

HOLY CRAP!!!!! That's an instant mature garden. You put some work in that's for sure. Looks crazy good. Can't wait to see it. When are you going to crane in the 40foot washies?  

hahahaha.. I have a couple 40' wasies I may cut down? come on over for a tour my friend! its still a work in progress

Sunset zone 24

Yea Josh, what's a SoCal garden without the washies; I have two just waiting to be dug - it'll be fun!

LMAO....:rolleyes:

Sunset zone 24

How about the Washie "grandis"  or "peltata variant?  You know you want one.

IMG_20150928_120235.jpg

IMG_20150928_120333.jpg

• Like 1

Carl

Vista, CA

How about the Washie "grandis"  or "peltata variant?  You know you want one.

IMG_20150928_120235.jpg

IMG_20150928_120333.jpg

that's to funny Carl!! 

Sunset zone 24

^^ now THAT's funny. Must be W. var. Vistawongii

lol.....

Sunset zone 24