Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas


Josh-O

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, foxtail said:

Sorry Chuck, Josh is my new hero! !!

tumblr_lyqknseG4M1qf087qo1_500.jpg.a9f47

That is Fing Hiiiiilllllarious...:floor:

  • Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

That is Fing Hiiiiilllllarious...:floor:

Lmao

  • Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, foxtail said:

Lmao

:floor:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally got around to do some planting this week at the Vista Garden. I have finally decided to plant a very special palm (copernicia curtisii) I have had for some time now. It took a bit longer than I expected because I wanted to plant it in the right location. I must have walked the garden 50 times to pick out the perfect spot before I dug the hole and doped it in the ground. now it is happy in its new location..

please enjoy the pictures :) 

IMG_5549.JPG.46f67d8cce7b2a8ad2cc53f4b7cIMG_5550.JPG.d87f3665ae66e038add43fd0804IMG_5546.JPG.4045932ee2eb94e486645483954IMG_5547.JPG.ca42b1763e066805bb89015e737IMG_5548.JPG.1ef18269accc8ff0c1c853ed7a2IMG_5545.JPG.3aecae87ab0a7acd480511e99cf

  • Upvote 4

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Josh,

yes, I enjoyed the pictures - an interesting looking species!

The spot looks well chosen, the second and the last picture are showing it very well (at least in my opinion).

Thank you very much for sharing -

best regards

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Josh,

yes, I enjoyed the pictures - an interesting looking species!

The spot looks well chosen, the second and the last picture are showing it very well (at least in my opinion).

Thank you very much for sharing -

best regards

 

 

thanks for looking :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had to plant one of the following first what should it be? I have slacked way off in planting more palms in the ground at the Vista garden. some nudges would be helpful.. :) 

1. blue decipiens

2. kentioposis oliviformis

3. copernicia curbeloi

 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

If I had to plant one of the following first what should it be? I have slacked way off in planting more palms in the ground at the Vista garden. some nudges would be helpful.. :) 

1. blue decipiens

2. kentioposis oliviformis

3. copernicia curbeloi

 

#1 & #3 are tied, as both will be relatively slow around here.  The K oliviformis will catch up with the others (assuming they are relatively similar in size at planting), if you wait to get it in the ground until the other two are planted.  Get out the night lights and get on it Josh!

  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tracy said:

#1 & #3 are tied, as both will be relatively slow around here.  The K oliviformis will catch up with the others (assuming they are relatively similar in size at planting), if you wait to get it in the ground until the other two are planted.  Get out the night lights and get on it Josh!

all 3 are in 15 gal containers..

I need some motivation to dig some holes

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I'm still moving massive amounts of dirt around to properly elevate the planter beds in the garden. One of the details we overlooked while doing the garden pathway project was elevation and excavating dirt last minute to raise and lower pathways forms before concrete was going to be poured. This has severely set me back from planting 3/4 of the garden. here are some pictures to illustrate my frustrations ...lol :) I hope to start planting some more palms next week??

IMG_5842.JPG.ea32de6c1b4601239b9e4599871IMG_5843.JPG.729649582ec6c3ea998fadd2cbb

so far it has taken over 30  truck loads of dirt and 2 people working on this I'm no were even close to being finished.

IMG_5863.JPG.3fad4c6f92a80c25bf995dab3a3some of the areas require 1'1/2 feet of fill dirt

IMG_5864.JPG.772e14a51fafe2f7ebfe4a821c5 looking back on past progress

IMG_5865.JPG.a878e0068837b5147cc7d625b3efuture work that needs to be done 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to give you an Idea of how much work this has turned into this planter took 6 truck loads of dirt alone. Now its ready for some plantings fiiinnaalllllllly!.

Not sure what I'm going to plant but it will be something real nice I hope?

IMG_5888.JPG.7a02b70e78c2df18e711bb91a6cIMG_5889.JPG.7d6c577758ee4d795d32781b5b6IMG_5890.JPG.8ce1a77a75cb88b0fec70686edeIMG_5897.JPG.a82f8b0a01db7b60be5e55334ceIMG_5898.JPG.010b5563187a29c500b9498aaaf

  • Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Just to give you an Idea of how much work this has turned into this planter took 6 truck loads of dirt alone. Now its ready for some plantings fiiinnaalllllllly!.

Not sure what I'm going to plant but it will be something real nice I hope?

IMG_5888.JPG.7a02b70e78c2df18e711bb91a6cIMG_5889.JPG.7d6c577758ee4d795d32781b5b6IMG_5890.JPG.8ce1a77a75cb88b0fec70686edeIMG_5897.JPG.a82f8b0a01db7b60be5e55334ceIMG_5898.JPG.010b5563187a29c500b9498aaaf

Josh you can't go wrong but I vote blue ddecipiens . Just keep an eye out for gophers as they love those deep roots.... 

  • Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Josh, who likes to go "Full Throttle", hope ya drinkn lots of water in the day , to rehydrate , not only coz yr working in the heat but the amount of Beer you like to consume ea night :) 

Josh are you going to heavily mulch with lucerne hay or whatever mulch you desire to keep the ground continually moist ?  Love the curvey pathways:greenthumb::greenthumb:  Pete :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I do love the look of the mulchless soil though...

The palms will "stand out" much more with thick mulch and do better, plain dirt looks a bit "dusty" to me :)  Pete

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Pedro 65 said:

The palms will "stand out" much more with thick mulch and do better, plain dirt looks a bit "dusty" to me :)  Pete

Ha! It looks lush and dreamy to me...almost like you could lick it. :P

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Pete in Paradise Hills said:

Josh you can't go wrong but I vote blue ddecipiens . Just keep an eye out for gophers as they love those deep roots.... 

I'm going to defiantly plant a blue D Decipiens next week for sure :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Josh, who likes to go "Full Throttle", hope ya drinkn lots of water in the day , to rehydrate , not only coz yr working in the heat but the amount of Beer you like to consume ea night :) 

Josh are you going to heavily mulch with lucerne hay or whatever mulch you desire to keep the ground continually moist ?  Love the curvey pathways:greenthumb::greenthumb:  Pete :) 

I'm going to mulch very heavily. I'm going to have HUGE dump trucks deliver multiple loads in the coming months.

My soil already retains good moisture while maintaing excellent drainage. I just want to keep the weeds suppressed by mulching.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I do love the look of the mulchless soil though...

I also like this look but I hate pulling weeds. Its like a full time job since this garden is big

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Ha! It looks lush and dreamy to me...almost like you could lick it. :P

shall I mail you some soil?:floor:

  • Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I'm going to mulch very heavily. I'm going to have HUGE dump trucks deliver multiple loads in the coming months.

My soil already retains good moisture while maintaing excellent drainage. I just want to keep the weeds suppressed by mulching.

what are weeds?

As Gilles Clément https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Cl%C3%A9ment declared: "une herbe n'est pas mauvaise, elle est"

…. A plant is never a weed, it just is… :lol:

that brings me to:

"to be or not to be" ? is the weed wondering.

 

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

 

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

what are weeds?

As Gilles Clément https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Cl%C3%A9ment declared: "une herbe n'est pas mauvaise, elle est"

…. A plant is never a weed, it just is… :lol:

that brings me to:

"to be or not to be" ? is the weed wondering.

 

:D

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doranakandawatta said:

what are weeds?

As Gilles Clément https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Cl%C3%A9ment declared: "une herbe n'est pas mauvaise, elle est"

…. A plant is never a weed, it just is… :lol:

that brings me to:

"to be or not to be" ? is the weed wondering.

 

I'm willing to bet many people thought of me when reading this quote... :interesting: :innocent:

 

and Josh, with all that dirt moving, all I could think was "the Shawshank redemption".. lol

 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I'm willing to bet many people thought of me when reading this quote... :interesting: :innocent:

 

and Josh, with all that dirt moving, all I could think was "the Shawshank redemption".. lol

 

I love that movie Bill. lol....

 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I'm going to mulch very heavily. I'm going to have HUGE dump trucks deliver multiple loads in the coming months.

My soil already retains good moisture while maintaing excellent drainage. I just want to keep the weeds suppressed by mulching.

I read your mind Josh. :)  Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

I read your mind Josh. :)  Pete

:D

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carpobrotus sp come in so many colours ( Pigface) would add some great colour and make a great ground cover here n there Josh, do cordylines do well there?  Pete   :)  

carprobrotus glaucus pigface aussie rambler

 

                                                      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Carpobrotus sp come in so many colours ( Pigface) would add some great colour and make a great ground cover here n there Josh, do cordylines do well there?  Pete   :)  

carprobrotus glaucus pigface aussie rambler

 

                                                      

cordylines do very well here. although I'm not a big fan of them..

I ripped out a ton Carpobrotus when I first started this project. pretty purple flower but the rats and mice love to nest in this stuff here.

 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

cordylines do very well here. although I'm not a big fan of them..

I ripped out a ton Carpobrotus when I first started this project. pretty purple flower but the rats and mice love to nest in this stuff here.

 

What are you low growing fav's you "may" add later, Blue Cycads / Broms or do you want to mainly "focus" on palms at this moment in time ?

Pete :) 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great stuff Josh! Would be cool to shoot over there one day and check it out!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jastin said:

Great stuff Josh! Would be cool to shoot over there one day and check it out!

Your more than welcome to cruise by. If you could shoot me a PM with your cell and I'll give you a call.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy Josh.....this thread is so active I only check it out every now and then. Amazing stuff mate..... Truly impressive!!!!! Everything about it screams seriousness and it makes me want to make the loooong trip over there to see it myself one day.

I know you don't need me to tell you but keep on charging!! :greenthumb:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2016, 11:16:17, Pedro 65 said:

What are you low growing fav's you "may" add later, Blue Cycads / Broms or do you want to mainly "focus" on palms at this moment in time ?

Pete :) 

right now I'm focusing on palms and rare trees..

Broms to come soon :)

  • Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Howdy Josh.....this thread is so active I only check it out every now and then. Amazing stuff mate..... Truly impressive!!!!! Everything about it screams seriousness and it makes me want to make the loooong trip over there to see it myself one day.

I know you don't need me to tell you but keep on charging!! :greenthumb:

thanks buddy :)

It's truly a labor of love.....

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2016, 10:48:05, Jastin said:

Great stuff Josh! Would be cool to shoot over there one day and check it out!

sounds good to me :)

anytime...!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Larry Black the newly elected president of the PSSC came for some palms and a tour recently. It was a fun day and the weather was amazing for a garden and nursery tour.

Not to mention Larry left with a few gems to add to his personal collection...

thanks for looking :)

IMG_5854.JPG.b5727ebea252fe0edd9d0299decRavenea X

IMG_5855.JPG.c23662ed96ce78b24ca3b342fce

IMG_5856.JPG.f34621ac83c07ce63c1c055e926copernicia curtissii

IMG_5857.JPG.545eedc02fc16ce02fe3afcde69copernicia curtissii suckers starting to form

IMG_5858.JPG.6798a217b4bac2a194eb7ea13f9copernicia maccroglossa

IMG_5859.JPG.f8f1e366537677b06706fc0854c

IMG_5860.JPG.3a4df263d338e6672525bdcb37fTri-bear dypsis hybrid

IMG_5861.JPG.837aa456f89522f063e112e2a81Dypsis sp. beff

IMG_5851.JPG.56938df36c845f5f591e29ea507cramming in some goodies into the Truck

 

 

IMG_5852.JPG

  • Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The garden is looking pretty amazing Josh.......

  • Upvote 1

Orange, Ca USDA Zone 10a Elevation 246'

Sunset Zone 23

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Forellan said:

The garden is looking pretty amazing Josh.......

thanks Tim

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Well....

I decided to edit my first palm at the Vista garden. It was bound to happen someday.............

I did not like how one of my dypsis plumosa was growing so  I hacked it down with a crooked grin.. The funny thing is that  it did not bother me at all to edit this palm out of the picture...LOL!

I planted a baby Raphia Austraulis in its place. I think as the raphia gets bigger I will cut down the other D. Plumosas in the future??????

 

This is the first palm I have added to the garden in a couple months. Felt good to play in the dirt again :)

IMG_6302.JPG.9a168de7a343e20bb5d5fe73fcbbefore

you can really see how the trunk decided to neck out and started to look FUGLY..

IMG_6304.JPG.e0e3b4915279842261148ef4eb5after

IMG_6305.JPG.a897071311b8091e82a984a6016

 

  • Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

finally got around to planting this Dypsis carlsmithii in the ground. It was a long overdue project for sure. that Carlsmithii thread a few weeks ago gave me some motivation to move on mine.

here is my little guy.

enjoy the pic's

IMG_6569.JPG.1d6d8bad76171685a5e35ee92d1IMG_6570.JPG.e66e51505c27a6c362ceab42133IMG_6571.JPG.05bc88d0bb6d65a2bbdf53758b6IMG_6572.JPG.02f8c179ba79b5be344e8bc0106

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...