IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

7 hours ago, Monòver said:

Allagoptera arenaria???

Yes, It a very large multi trunked trucked Allagoptera arenaria 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

12 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Ground cover palm!

It has a nice ring to it

Sunset zone 24

On 4/3/2016, 8:13:37, Josh-O said:

I have gophers pop up on occasion. I have become a real pro on killing those suckers.

Not to mention I own a gopher X machine

Can I call you when my neighbor's gophers start coming under the fence?  Thus far my dog seems to encourage them to stay on the other side.  Everything is looking good, looking forward to visiting the new garden sometime.  You definitely have a lot more space than in your Carlsbad home!!!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Can I call you when my neighbor's gophers start coming under the fence?  Thus far my dog seems to encourage them to stay on the other side.  Everything is looking good, looking forward to visiting the new garden sometime.  You definitely have a lot more space than in your Carlsbad home!!!

Call me on my cell phone if you need help with your gopher problem. Having a 3 acre property with the nursery and garden on it you learn very quickly how to deal with these pets. My guess is your dogs might detour for a while but I bet anything you have tunnel systems in your yard with gophers going through that you don't even know about. These little bastards are sneaky and quick

Sunset zone 24

Wow. Nice freebie man. Bret with a killer hookup. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

18 hours ago, LJG said:

Wow. Nice freebie man. Bret with a killer hookup. 

I was very happy with my gift. I can see why Brett wanted it dug out because it's so wide and it was encroaching on the sidewalk and driveway creating a possible tripping hazard. I'll take them anyway I can get them :-)

Sunset zone 24

59 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I was very happy with my gift. I can see why Brett wanted it dug out because it's so wide and it was encroaching on the sidewalk and driveway creating a possible tripping hazard. I'll take them anyway I can get them :-)

Hey Josh, you're most welcome. It already looks happier being able to stretch it's arms a bit. I tell people that one of the (many) reasons I love palms, is their relative predictability. Generally speaking, they go straight up. Sure the teenage palm may be in the way for some time, but eventually they get up & out of the way. Which allows you at least have some idea of what the final look of the "canvas" might look like. The Allagoptera was just way more palm than the space could handle, and it was never going to get overhead. So now all is well, the palms wayward fronds don't get run over by my wife's car & she can actually make a straight run into the garage. And it's part of an amazing project that you've got going on..

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Hey Josh, you're most welcome. It already looks happier being able to stretch it's arms a bit. I tell people that one of the (many) reasons I love palms, is their relative predictability. Generally speaking, they go straight up. Sure the teenage palm may be in the way for some time, but eventually they get up & out of the way. Which allows you at least have some idea of what the final look of the "canvas" might look like. The Allagoptera was just way more palm than the space could handle, and it was never going to get overhead. So now all is well, the palms wayward fronds don't get run over by my wife's car & she can actually make a straight run into the garage. And it's part of an amazing project that you've got going on..

Thanks again for the gift I'll make sure you get full visitation rights :greenthumb:

The funny thing was I have been struggling on what to plant there because I have telephone wires directly above that space. When you sent  me a picture of that palm I knew exactly where I was going to plant it so it was basically an answer to prayer.

thanks a million once more

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Looks great!

Thanks Cindy

Sunset zone 24

I decided to do a little planting today. First up is a sausage tree I planted between 2 boulders. I fell in love with tree when I was in Africa in 2005. This will be an excellent tropical canopy tree that will be a cool accent piece to the garden. There are a few really nice specimens growing here in San Diego. This tree grows really fast and in 6-7 yrs time I should have a 30' tree with a 40' spread.

Fimage.jpg.1d81611437ed060d090aa7395352f6image.jpg.2a86b61f072023e5dda94047ecd631

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

I finally decided to plant this 15 gal Dypsis albofarinosa today I have been growing from a 1 gal for 3 yrs now. It is really starting to take off and needs to go in the ground. This Palm in particular has grown almost 2 times faster than the other 12 I have growing. I wonder if it got crossed with something else? Maybe it's just got good genes? Enjoy the pictures

image.jpg.18714d34adb48129d565a9fbc4fd95image.jpg.cc3dc243d712756336754fcecc6122image.jpg.535c8cc32ae3bd5310c7a8257df273

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Here is a Dypsis robusta cross I have been growing for almost 4 years. The leaves are starting to go plumose. This is one of only a few that came out of Hawaii back in the day. Please enjoy the pictures :) 

image.jpg.040b6d9dec056c0483fa2b50da5ab6image.jpg.1a6b06fb0b2815be643d6fd63620ac

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Planted this Dypsis betafaka today. This guy is painfully slow. I grew it from a liner 5 years ago. I hope it grows faster in the ground?

image.jpg.11d3ad895e63dde014d516185a5e04image.jpg.3454d28195f764bcfdf591cc6f2405image.jpg.39e349a836d201d4ec8a0d6a9fff66image.jpg.b83f10bcb977cc851806a3ac26e3b8

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Planted this Tri-Bear today. I made sure to give this guy some really good space knowing how big these get.

image.jpg.821475a37f7f635c5d8dd7b1df2e3cimage.jpg.ad7c258979fbc18091b9aa83c5c0dbimage.jpg.c3436ec87b31730d7fc02dd44f1c85image.jpg.503e8ea35d5ec31d6aedd4376767f0

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Last but not least....... Ladies and gentlemen I give you...chryosphyllum imperiale.

this truly is a HOLY grail fruiting evergreen tree I have been after for quite some time. I'm super excited to have planted it yesterday and I hope it will grow up to be a big strong healthy tree for me in the garden. I hope you have enjoyed these pictures :) :greenthumb:

image.jpg.86ed3a025db1f18e7ab36c6109542bimage.jpg.5f7cff52c3c1e415264ec464e8d24aimage.jpg.932e155c8e93a2e3603f5fb89f78deimage.jpg.0ec2b09591fdf75dabfcffae5de676

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

On 2 September 2015 at 10:13:40, Josh-O said:

Ill post a couple more pic's tomorrow.

That Jubaeopsis is officially the first palm to planted in the garden

Hey well done... My partner doesn't understand the palm sickness either... But at least he goes with it! 

how did that Pondoland Coconut go getting transplanted? are they easy? 

FYI I am African born in South Africa but my home town is Port St Johns.. But only an hour south of where Jubaeopsis caffra comes from ... Used to see them a lot and to be honest till the Palm fever hit .. I had moved out and I was long gone .. Never returned :( if only I knew back then 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cassowaryhill said:

Hey well done... My partner doesn't understand the palm sickness either... But at least he goes with it! 

how did that Pondoland Coconut go getting transplanted? are they easy? 

FYI I am African born in South Africa but my home town is Port St Johns.. But only an hour south of where Jubaeopsis caffra comes from ... Used to see them a lot and to be honest till the Palm fever hit .. I had moved out and I was long gone .. Never returned :( if only I knew back then 

They are very easy to transplant 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

On 13 September 2015 at 13:46:12, Josh-O said:

Here is a nice triple planting of my least favorite solitary dypsis. They are kind of sparse with their leaf structure so I decided to plant theses big ol' boys in a triple setting to give them a bit of depth and fullness. All three of these are mature and flower giving off viable seed. My helper and I had a hard time planting these since they only weighed a million tons and were in a very heavy soil medium.

enjoy :winkie:

marking out the holes 

dypsis_plumosa_2.thumb.jpeg.e26e18dfe6d4

just finished the digging the holes

Dypsis_plumosa_3.thumb.jpeg.79598f248681

Got the dypsis lined up to make sure they are in the proper position

Dypsis_plumosa.thumb.jpeg.6b4493e396cca8

and presto whamoo baaam!! Got them tucked in their new beds

dypsis_plumosa_4.thumb.jpeg.1d4fec1c5887

Not gonna lie, this took a lot out of us to dig and plant these SPECIMENS in the ground. wee were pooped to say the least.

I have a couple 25 gals left if any one is interested in buying one, just send me a PM if interested.I was original going to do a planting of 5 but decided against it.

happy viewing :winkie:

What Dypsis sp is this? 

5 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Last but not least....... Ladies and gentlemen I give you...chryosphyllum imperiale.

this truly is a HOLY grail fruiting evergreen tree I have been after for quite some time. I'm super excited to have planted it yesterday and I hope it will grow up to be a big strong healthy tree for me in the garden. I hope you have enjoyed these pictures :) :greenthumb:

image.jpg.86ed3a025db1f18e7ab36c6109542bimage.jpg.5f7cff52c3c1e415264ec464e8d24aimage.jpg.932e155c8e93a2e3603f5fb89f78deimage.jpg.0ec2b09591fdf75dabfcffae5de676

Magnificent plant. Have you ever seen the cannonball trees (Couroupita guianensis) at Fairchild? It's like nothing else in terms of flowers and (inedible) fruit. I think it would match your desired vibe.

17 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

Magnificent plant. Have you ever seen the cannonball trees (Couroupita guianensis) at Fairchild? It's like nothing else in terms of flowers and (inedible) fruit. I think it would match your desired vibe.

Yes, such a great tree

i wish I could grow them here in California

a bit to tropical for my climate :( 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Yes, such a great tree

i wish I could grow them here in California

a bit to tropical for my climate :( 

I don't think that's right. They're fine in zone 10a, as far as I know. I've got one out front that's been hammered by salt-laden east winds (it was a terrible spot for it), but it hasn't batted an eye at lows in the high 30s and multiple days with highs in the low 60s followed by nights in the 40s. You should find a nice protected spot and try one. I really think it would work for you, especially with your excellent soil.

Wow. I haven't look at this thread for a whole  -- lots of changes!  Those 3 acres are going to fill up quick at this rate.

The allagoptera arenaria won't ever grow a real trunk, will it?

This is going to be an amazing collection some day --- maybe in just 3 years for the fast ones! I'm so glad you're documenting the wholr project on this forum.

Cool, Josh!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

I don't think that's right. They're fine in zone 10a, as far as I know. I've got one out front that's been hammered by salt-laden east winds (it was a terrible spot for it), but it hasn't batted an eye at lows in the high 30s and multiple days with highs in the low 60s followed by nights in the 40s. You should find a nice protected spot and try one. I really think it would work for you, especially with your excellent soil.

That sound more like zone 10B to me

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

31 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

Wow. I haven't look at this thread for a whole  -- lots of changes!  Those 3 acres are going to fill up quick at this rate.

The allagoptera arenaria won't ever grow a real trunk, will it?

This is going to be an amazing collection some day --- maybe in just 3 years for the fast ones! I'm so glad you're documenting the wholr project on this forum.

Cool, Josh!

Thanks for the kind words :) 

this project is really starting to take shape. I was at it again today 

see the pictures below.

Sunset zone 24

Just dug out this 10' tall Kentiopsis pyriformis today. I was surprised how well it dug. I was able to get a huge rootball loaded with roots. I'm very excited to have this impressive specimen in the "Vista garden" as a show pice Palm.

enjoy the pictures :) 

image.jpg.f563feb8cdf6f0413bb5c88b77f219image.jpg.3d27980170dfa46118bbe66c2cfdc8image.jpg.1ebc196bbb27572a7933030221ce9aimage.jpg.f341e00d49ba82ee9d125fb8b97794

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 4

Sunset zone 24

On April 26, 2016 at 10:55:56 PM, cassowaryhill said:

What Dypsis sp is this? 

Dypsis plumosa 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

12 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Dude, you're an animal..

My head hurts

my back hurts

i need a shower and a cold beer.

it was a very long day

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

18 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

My head hurts

my back hurts

i need a shower and a cold beer.

it was a very long day

And a loooong Massage! :evil:

• Upvote 1

On 27/04/2016, 7:56:43, Yunder Wækraus said:

Well Done Mate ! 

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

13 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

And a loooong Massage! :evil:

That is a great idea

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Well Done Mate ! 

Thanks buddy it's definitely a labor of love out there

Sunset zone 24

13 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Dude, you're an animal..

A very tired animal

Sunset zone 24

So many nights I make the same dream:

I am the lucky owner of a big land sitting on the gentle slope, with good soil. good hardscaping and lovely paths I already built, a lot of space available I can fill with beautiful palms I get already as mature and beautiful plants, in a wide choice of rare species.

Day by day ( still in the same dream) I decide I dig few holes and fill these holes with any lovely palm coming suddenly in my property. At the end of the dream, I post many pictures on Palmtalk and I become a palmy star.
Suddenly I wake up and have to go to work… office is waiting for me, I am late, its' not a dream. :unsure:

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

9 hours ago, Josh-O said:

A very tired animal

You recovered nicely, looked like you were back to yourself today.  Speaking of animals, thanks for all the advice this afternoon on the gopher/mole attack!  I'm ready now to engage the bloody little buggers.  It's war time.  Two more projects, get you down for a visit and surf in Leucadia, and drag myself up to Vista to see all your work in person!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Crazy project Josh.  I gotta get up there to see it.

That Chrysophyllum is insane.  I thought those were impossible to germinate.  Some super stud must have grown it.... :)

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

23 minutes ago, Matt in SD said:

Crazy project Josh.  I gotta get up there to see it.

That Chrysophyllum is insane.  I thought those were impossible to germinate.  Some super stud must have grown it.... :)

Matt

I'm telling you that guy was a big surfer type stud :)

Sunset zone 24