IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Syagrus growth in 5 1/2 months

meteorologistpalmguy

Gosh.  I tried searching for jub x queen on this forum before I posted another thread about jx queen.  Came up empty-handed.  So sorry for my post from yesterday with same topic.   

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:03 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Looking good!  I will have the 2-year update on mine to come in May.

Cant wait to see the pics very interested in getting my hands on one of these

T J 

• 1 year later...

F2C4B905-A1AD-4F02-B767-70FED2A45DC3.thumb.jpeg.44a259f2a21bb85574806df091738f98.jpeg

Well it has been about a year... so here is an update on this palm.   Picture is from the second story of my house, and the Jubaea seen to the right of the JXS is likely twice the age (if not more) of the JXS.  Its growth rate is just insane. 

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

I've seen this palm in person and it is magnificent.  Great job!!!

That palm is already a beast! Great job!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Hi Beau,

So I posted these pics before of my Jubaea x Syagrus as of this year, the large one has been in the ground about 6 years and the small one believe it or not is the same age it just languished in a pot for too long and only went in the ground last year. The girth of the trunk of the large JxS is about 28 inches and has a circumference of over 7 feet.  My soffits are about 7 feet off the ground so that might give some perspective, I estimate the tip of the tallest frond to be around 18 feet maybe thereabouts.  The crown spread is about 23 feet.  I am hopeful maybe it might flower this year I'll have to wait and see.  I know there are several of this cross growing in the south east and all over the USA and beyond. Maybe others can share their pics.

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

where can I buy this?

• Upvote 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Patric Shaffer generates these crosses but I have not seen this hybrid on his recent availability palm lists. But you can contact him and see when he might next have them available. They are basically about 2 blades of grass for about $150 and the slightly larger ones where going for $225, so they are not cheep, however they are rockets once in the ground. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 12:38 PM, meteorologistpalmguy said:

F2C4B905-A1AD-4F02-B767-70FED2A45DC3.thumb.jpeg.44a259f2a21bb85574806df091738f98.jpeg

Well it has been about a year... so here is an update on this palm.   Picture is from the second story of my house, and the Jubaea seen to the right of the JXS is likely twice the age (if not more) of the JXS.  Its growth rate is just insane. 

Did this beauty make it through the great freeze? :unsure:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RJ said:

Did this beauty make it through the great freeze? :unsure:

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately!), he no longer lives there. I hope the current owners don't take the saw to it too early... I would give it all summer.

I dug my much smaller ones out of the ground, which I now regret. The smallest one looks okay, but the bigger one looks rough. I thought these would transplant as well as mules, but I guess I was wrong. :( We'll see.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Crazy, didn’t realize he had moved. I guess that explains the lack of posts from him.

Same here didn't realize that either. Must of been hard to leave that palm behind! 

2 hours ago, RJ said:

Same here didn't realize that either. Must of been hard to leave that palm behind! 

I bought his other one, and subsequently sold it 6 months later. Talking to him it sounded like that was his dream home, but plans change. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2021 at 9:43 AM, Meangreen94z said:

I bought his other one, and subsequently sold it 6 months later. Talking to him it sounded like that was his dream home, but plans change. 

You SOLD it OH MY... It May be the only known one left in TX? I sure hope they SAVED it from the Freeze even if they had to place it under the covers of their bed to keep it a JUBILATION!!!

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

8 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

You SOLD it OH MY... It May be the only known one left in TX? I sure hope they SAVED it from the Freeze even if they had to place it under the covers of their bed to keep it a JUBILATION!!!

Did it ever make it in the ground? Any pictures ? 

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

Did it ever make it in the ground? Any pictures ? 

Hey, I just decided two months ago I wasn’t moving or know I wasn’t dying.

Now, where just to put it…. and what is it going to turn into. They are a bit variable, and it’s having a potassium or other issue. I am working on it, and it’s working on giving me some new fronds. So we are working it out. 

Thank you! 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 6 months later...
46 minutes ago, Skiptomylouguru said:

Where can I get a Jubaea x Syagrus ? I really want one of these. 

Patrick, the only chap that I know that makes(d) this cross lost his access to a flowering Jubaea last I knew. So the only ones for sale are from folk who purchased them prior who still have them potted. 

I’ve got one I would let go for oneeee milioooon dollars 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Patrick, the only chap that I know that makes(d) this cross lost his access to a flowering Jubaea last I knew. So the only ones for sale are from folk who purchased them prior who still have them potted. 

I’ve got one I would let go for oneeee milioooon dollars 😂

Hahaha darn you.