IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for Mule palm

Laaz

Same situation here in the FL Panhandle, only seen them at a local nursery once. Other than that, nada- even at Home Depot/Lowes. Not sure why, as I bet they would go like hotcakes, people in a marginal climate like mine (and where you're at) are starved for good tropical looking palms.

Edited by Opal92

They'll be more common soon. I've driven past rows of field-grown mules in central FL.

Drive by photo, but you can see they put a bunch in behind the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, FL.

I'm looking for one too, if anyone's selling them.

post-841-0-67955400-1440338204_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-18505700-1440338301_thumb.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I have a couple 1000 Mule palm seedlings left for the season. 3 gallons will not be rooted out until early next summer.

I'm not in SC, but others are talking about these too, so it never hurts to mention it. At least, I have some good information. I have about 4-5 really good sized ones that I am happy to sell. Two are flowering with fat trunks. I'd have to go out and measure, but like 4-5 feet of trunk. Then there a few other ones that are over all about 7-8 feet tall. They are all in containers from 25s and a 45. All need to be stepped up or put in the ground. The big ones used to wholesale for $100 a running foot, but I do know they have gone down a bit on price since then. If anyone is seriously interested in really big ones, I'd entertain selling them.

I've known people who grew these for 30+ years. Even long before Merrill Wilcox wrote his papers and articles on how to cross pollinate the palms to make these. When you read about how cold hardy they are, you get an over all look at all the plants. Just like when the first silver bismarks started coming out, genetics makes all the difference in the world. In that case you would look for the small plants that turned the darkest purple on the stems in the winter. In this case, you will see that some look a lot like queen palms and some look more squatty like a pindo. The best ones have fat trunks with a slight purplish color and the tops look more pindo in shape. These will be easily more cold hardy. They will laugh at lower 20s. 4 and 3 winters ago we had some of the worst freeze events I have seen in 35 years. The first year I had 9 nights in the teens with the lowest at 15. The next year, not as many events, but it did go to 16. A nursery about a mile away from me had queens, and Washingtonians that were just trashed where my mules showed no burn at all. Those and the needles laughed at 15.

It is interesting,people from the city of Charleston have driven down and bought cold hardy cycads from me for about 17 years, every once in a while. Somewhere out there, there are Ceratozamia hildaes and latifolias, coonties and edules. The same guy would usually come down and we would talk a lot. We compared all the major freeze events we both have had and he said my specific location was exactly the same as Charleston. I may not be exactly right on distance, but he did day it was much colder 4 or 5 miles inland where the first few miles were much better for growing what he was buying.

Definitely a foundation palm for our zone ...this one laughed at the Polar Vortex two winters back.post-97-0-57985600-1440888715_thumb.jpg

BTW check out the massive spear on the C. macrocarpa on the right by the pool!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I hear you. All the nurseries I talk to here say they won't deal with a "unproven" palm.

They better not use that excuse at the big box nurseries in my area because they sell queens, spindle, pygmy date, foxtails, and even coconuts... Many a time you can kiss those goodbye before December even comes...

Definitely a foundation palm for our zone ...this one laughed at the Polar Vortex two winters back.attachicon.gif20150829_174845.jpg

BTW check out the massive spear on the C. macrocarpa on the right by the pool!

I can't believe you get some of those really tender ones to survive up here in the frigid north, it wasn't until I came on this site that I found out areas near the beaches in NW FL can be considered 9a. Do you still have any queens left? Basically all I've seen in the area are toast. The ONLY queen I saw that has survived is right by Joe's Crabshack in Destin- it was on the south side and pulled through remarkably well (wasn't even fully mature). Even other queens that close to the beach are gone- maybe a hardier individual.

I think if you truly want a REALLY tropical look in NW FL, the mule is going to be the glue that holds it together. Sorry, but mass plantings of sabals and pindos don't cut it (like they do so much in Destin).

Edited by Opal92

This guy is a joke, says he has a few thousand seedlings left & when I ask how much he says "Oh, I only sell wholesale". Sorry but I'll avoid this company like the plague.

I knew that Laaz, that of why I mentioned that others were talking about it, so if anyone was interested, I had some. As your post mentioned, you were really looking up there for them.

I have a friend that I taught the pollinating procedure that has about 40 sitting around, but I don't know the quality and size. If he had a smaller one like a 3 to 5 size, would you want one shipped up, or not really? I'm guessing that if he has one that size, it might not be the best quality because if it was a good one, it would be bigger. I'll see him tomorrow night at "hot pepper night", if you want me to ask. I would think shipping would prohibitive.

This guy is a joke, says he has a few thousand seedlings left & when I ask how much he says "Oh, I only sell wholesale". Sorry but I'll avoid this company like the plague.

Sorry you feel that way. It is not worth our time running to the post office everyday for $20.00. You did not avoid me like the plague when I traded seeds with you. We are a two man operation and I have all ready left for the season and my partner is not willing to do anything but wholesale while I am gone. I will have some 3 gallons rooted out next spring if that is what you need.

Mules are worth the trouble to find.

Yes yes yes.

Hee-haw.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.