IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane coming to Florida?

Ed in Houston

Tropical storm Danny in the Atlantic is headed this way and possibly could become a hurricane.

at201504_ensmodel.gif

at201504_model_intensity.gif

Ed in Houston

Tropical storm Danny in the Atlantic is headed this way and possibly could become a hurricane.

at201504_ensmodel.gif

at201504_model_intensity.gif

Ed in Houston

Odds are it will fizzle before it reaches the western Atlantic. Wind shear will kill it.

This storm will curve into the gulf and only affect Houston...lol :mrlooney:

Round and round she goes, where she lands nobody knows. I am going to go consult my Ouija board, have a seance, and break out the voodoo chicken bones and cast the demons out of the Gulf and Atlantic.

Ed in Houston

This storm will curve into the gulf and only affect Houston...lol :mrlooney:

Round and round she goes, where she lands nobody knows. I am going to go consult my Ouija board, have a seance, and break out the voodoo chicken bones and cast the demons out of the Gulf and Atlantic.

Ed in Houston

You have voodoo chicken bones? :mrlooney:

Danny is a tricky one because it has slipped into a crease, a very small one.

Can I get some? :hmm:

97L on the other hand can be influenced with more simple spells. African Fairy Dust will work.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Hope it builds and builds. Then moves about 300 miles off the florida coast and just spins there for a week giving us unlimited groundswell. Then, after we are all surfed-out, the thing gently drifts northeast and dissipates having never made landfall. It that too much to ask for?

Like the way you think Jason.... my wish as well except replace Atlantic with Gulf. Never seems to happen that way for us over here. Danny is taking a low track....that's always concerning. Seems when you have a house and garden 200 mtrs from the coastline ... surfing just doesn't seem as important as it did in my youth.....

That being said....would be great to get some real waves....just don't want to have to hurricane cut the Washies and watch everything else get thrashed.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Category 3 now :bummed:

I like how the weather people are trying to downplay this storm because it is small and weakening currently. What bothers me is that the current track is heading it into the Gulf. Any tropical system, even if is just a low pressure, going into the Gulf this time of year can and often does rapidly gain intensity once hitting the warm Gulf waters.

I'm going out on a limb with my long term prediction that if the track takes it into the Gulf it will explode into at Cat 2 or 3 storm again.

You guys in Houston must have taken quite a beating in Ike.

Hurricane Ike came straight up Galveston Bay making a direct hit on Galveston with the center passing 20-30 miles east of downtown Houston.

HurricaneIkeBigView2-orient.jpg

At landfall the maximum winds were 110 MPH.

The storm surge was 10-15 feet. At 30 feet elevation, I escaped the storm surge and rainfall flooding.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/hgx/projects/ike08/images/IkeStormSurge_HarrisCounty.JPG

I am about 30 miles from the gulf and the center of the storm passed about 20 miles to my east in Galveston Bay. I estimate the winds to have been about 80-90 MPH peak at my place. My house withstood this wind with no damage but I had to replace $8K in fencing. Most sturdy houses seem to be able to take about 100mph before they come apart. The yard was trashed severely with large tree limbs downed. Some in the neighborhood had large trees come down into their living rooms and others had large trees come down into their dying rooms.

The worst damage to property was done from the storm surge near the coast and the bay.

Bush%20Hurricane%20Ike.JPG

One favorite thing to do with the downed trees was to turn them into carved wooden sculptures.

9e966fcc3e7449f1044c4bb272774b05.jpg

P1050060a.jpg

galveston_tree_carving.010-001.jpg

Ed in Houston

You guys in Houston must have taken quite a beating in Ike.

Hurricane Ike came straight up Galveston Bay making a direct hit on Galveston with the center passing 20-30 miles east of downtown Houston.

HurricaneIkeBigView2-orient.jpg

At landfall the maximum winds were 110 MPH.

The storm surge was 10-15 feet. At 30 feet elevation, I escaped the storm surge and rainfall flooding.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/hgx/projects/ike08/images/IkeStormSurge_HarrisCounty.JPG

I am about 30 miles from the gulf and the center of the storm passed about 20 miles to my east in Galveston Bay. I estimate the winds to have been about 80-90 MPH peak at my place. My house withstood this wind with no damage but I had to replace $8K in fencing. Most sturdy houses seem to be able to take about 100mph before they come apart. The yard was trashed severely with large tree limbs downed. Some in the neighborhood had large trees come down into their living rooms and others had large trees come down into their dying rooms.

The worst damage to property was done from the storm surge near the coast and the bay.

Bush%20Hurricane%20Ike.JPG

One favorite thing to do with the downed trees was to turn them into carved wooden sculptures.

9e966fcc3e7449f1044c4bb272774b05.jpg

P1050060a.jpg

galveston_tree_carving.010-001.jpg

Ed in Houston

Now those are cool! :)

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Tropical Low Danny is staying due west and below the islands....no north turn yet....we have not seen the last of this system.

The remnants of Danny will likely stay away from FL, according to the computer models. This is just like every other Cape Verde system in the past 10 seasons. They either go way south, dissipate, or turn north.

At least the islands are getting much needed rain from this system.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Looks like Erika might hold together, and models show it getting very near S. Fla with 80 mph winds...

FORECAST VALID 29/0600Z 21.4N 72.4W
MAX WIND 50 KT...GUSTS 60 KT.
50 KT... 40NE 20SE 0SW 0NW.
34 KT...100NE 70SE 20SW 50NW.

EXTENDED OUTLOOK. NOTE...ERRORS FOR TRACK HAVE AVERAGED NEAR 150 NM
ON DAY 4 AND 200 NM ON DAY 5...AND FOR INTENSITY NEAR 15 KT EACH DAY

OUTLOOK VALID 30/0600Z 24.0N 76.5W
MAX WIND 60 KT...GUSTS 75 KT.

OUTLOOK VALID 31/0600Z 26.0N 79.5W
MAX WIND 70 KT...GUSTS 85 KT.

Erika has possibility. We cancelled a trip to Miami Beach this weekend because of it. Now to fill gas cans for the generator - just in case.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.