IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

No April Fools?

happ

New month & a giant step closer to heat  :P

Lots of growth everywhere. All natives in full leaf/bauhinia peak/heliconia color.

Sunny in the Southwest & warm  :cool:

How is it in your part of the world?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Just basking the same warmth you are happ. Enjoying a sunny window before the marine layer returns. The plants are loving the attention... all trimmed and fertilized.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

In SoCal, we even seem to have a slight touch of the "June Gloom" quickly giving way to bright hot sunshine just right for the palms to grow, thrive, multiply, leap, and be - in general - very palmy :cool: .

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Not so fast says weatherman over here. This week a drop in temps with a low of 53ºF sometime this weekend!  :P

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Frank

"53" isn't particularly cold  :laugh:  Of-course in Florida, anything below 60 is considered cold by April, right?

March Data 2007

Aver Max : 76.5 [Normal : 73F/22.7c]

Aver Min : 54.4 [Normal : 54F/12.1c]

Downtown

Max : 73F/22c

Min : 53F/11.6c

Rainfall

March : 0.04

Year : 4.40 [Jul/Jun]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

You are correct Happ.  After two weeks with nothing below 65F, 53-54F will feel like snow is about to fall.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Its heading for 18C here on the South Coast of England today and a news item in a newspaper pictured deserted beaches in Southern Spain and guys flocking to the coast here!

Maybe it wont last that long but March as a whole was one of the warmest recorded and our Met office has predicted a very hot summer.

I dont know; but our Met Guys have certainly been steadily getting fairly accurate in recent years.

Regardez

(sun screen, shades and aloha shirts all ready!)

Juan

West Sussex Coast

Southern England

Juan

Juan, How was your rain totals this winter? Average, above, or below? I'm just curious. I've heard so much about it being the warmest winter there in quite a while.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Not so fast says weatherman over here. This week a drop in temps with a low of 53ºF sometime this weekend!  

Yeah, unfortunately, that translates to 33f for us :(    This weekend is gonna suck.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

No more spring for us after Tuesday. Despite almost every tree leafing out the forecast has snow for Thursday and a low on Friday of 20*F!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

It is April right??!!

It's also spider mite season too! :P

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It is April right??!!

According to the Calendar, Ray... but by this weekend, it's gonna feel like early February around here :(

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Yes it is spider mite season.  Crotons just love that.

It's 80F here right now, but the forcast looks bleak for the weekend.

Saturday night weather.com has us getting down to 28F.

Long Island is predicted to be 27F

Tampa:  55F, then 52F on Sunday.

I already trimmed and fertilized my Trachy.  Hopefully this cold won't do damage.  I guess I got ahead of myself there.  The five day forcast looked good on the local news as of Friday.  I was out of town all week last week, so I didn't check the extended online.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Hi,

It's nice and warm again, today was a little colder. But after the mildest winter ever, the think again dat the summer go to be avery hot, and long summer. They have now al say that we gonna get the warmest year ever ...

And if you see, to the tempeture i have got, every month is higher then normal, en get a place in the top 10 from warmest month's ... Almost every day we are 1C above normal, but i have got also day's that are almost 10C aboven normal average... it looks like the netherlands, maybe northwast europe is going to a other climate ...

If i see my winter, it was a looking like winter for the north of Spain.

Robbin

Southwest

I already trimmed and fertilized my Trachy.  Hopefully this cold won't do damage.  I guess I got ahead of myself there.  The five day forcast looked good on the local news as of Friday.  I was out of town all week last week, so I didn't check the extended online.

See, Steve.... This is why I HATE April.... It gives you a false sense of security.. One day can be 80, and the next 45.... really sucks....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

We're on our way for a 60 degree temperature drop from today to Friday morning. Woo hoo!

For JakeK and all other soon-to-be southerners:

Weather.com upped its lows for the next week by about 5 degrees all around - Could there be some hope yet?  20F would be nearly record lows.

Scott,

below average rainfall and no hard frosts here on the South coast tho its always surprising what a divergence of climatic conditions we get in such a tiny group of Islands and others no doubt have had it quite different.

Tomorrow we are looking at 19C.

Regardez and good growing

Juan

Juan

(happ @ Apr. 01 2007,21:07)

Frank

"53" isn't particularly cold  :laugh:  Of-course in Florida, anything below 60 is considered cold by April, right?

March Data 2007

Aver Max : 76.5 [Normal : 73F/22.7c]

Aver Min : 54.4 [Normal : 54F/12.1c]

Downtown

Max : 73F/22c

Min : 53F/11.6c

Rainfall

March : 0.04

Year : 4.40 [Jul/Jun]

Happ,

I just computed my numbers for March.  My thermometer is not in the best location, so I'm not sure how trustworthy my data is, but it seems pretty close to yours.  I'm missing the first six days, so here's what I got for Mar 7-31...

Avg max: 24.5C (76F)

Avg min:  11.0C (52F)

Highest max: 36C (97F)

Lowest max:  17C (63F)

Highest min: 17C (63F)

Lowest min:   8C  (47F)

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Brian,

Actually the forecast has been downgraded for Cincinnati. We are now expecting a low on Saturday morning of 17*F!

Near record warmth of 80*F on 4/3 with record cold of 17*F expected on 4/7. It will be a 60+ degree drop in temperatures in 72 hours, with a 40 degree drop from yesterday to today.

(elHoagie @ Apr. 04 2007,13:09)

Happ,

I just computed my numbers for March.  My thermometer is not in the best location, so I'm not sure how trustworthy my data is, but it seems pretty close to yours.  I'm missing the first six days, so here's what I got for Mar 7-31...

Avg max: 24.5C (76F)

Avg min:  11.0C (52F)

Highest max: 36C (97F)

Lowest max:  17C (63F)

Highest min: 17C (63F)

Lowest min:   8C  (47F)

Jack

Jack

Here are my readings March 1-6

66F/18.8c / 48F/8.8c

73F/22.7c / 48F

79F/26.1c / 49F

83F/26.3 / 57F/13.8c

83F / 57F

87F/30.5c / 62F/16.6c  

Northeastern foothills surrounding the basin enjoy the best of both worlds. Pasadena maximums & downtown minimums  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

No April fools, this is real: Did I hear upper 40s for Friday/Saturday night? ???

And Larry this is for you!

post-47-1175780101_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

No April fools, this is real: Did I hear upper 40s for Friday/Saturday night?

Frank, this is absolutely RIDICULOUS for April... We're getting around 30 for a low for the next few nights.... This cold has got to stop.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I'm in denial.  The Sealing Wax Palm stays out this go round.  I'm sick and tired of moving this damned palm around for anything below 49.99999999 degrees F.

Ray

Strange to see al that cold in that part of the world ... where it's normally warmer. Over here, we gonna get a beautifull sunny weekend with nice tempeture's! between the 15-18C/59-64.4F and dry ... Also next week looks like it's gonna be a very nice, warm, sunny week and again dry, the say tempeture going to the end of the week rising above the 20C/68F ... But that's to far to say it is ... so i will see next week ... But for sure it is, we gonna get dry and sunny weather! :)

Farmers give the plants already water, because the dryness, the last two weeks we haven't got any rain, and sunny day's with a dry east wind .. and the rest of march haven't been so wett ... so time for watering :)

52d05509db.jpg

Southwest

Hi again,

Oke the new weather forecast is inside ... and it's a little far to count on that but if that's happend, next week the tempeture are rising to 20C/68F and more, maybe at the end of the week for the south of the netherlands 23-24C/73.4-75.2F ... That's so much above average, if you know normal average is 11C/51.8F for the day.

It looks like that climate changing is going faster here in Northwest Europe then somewhere else ... Scandanivie looks to have now our weather ...

I have read already messeges from other peopthe the are afraid for again a very hot,long,dry summer ... just like 2003 and 2006... if the tempeture keep this rising level... I don't afraid, and also my palms not, maybe i can plant over a couple years more diffrent palms! And i don't need to move to a other country :D

Robbin

Southwest

I'm in denial.  The Sealing Wax Palm stays out this go round.  I'm sick and tired of moving this damned palm around for anything below 49.99999999 degrees F.

Ray, this is ridiculous for April... I don't understand what the hell is going on.....  40's in FL, 30's here... Snow in parts of Texas...

but I'll bet DK down in the amazon is warm :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I'm also puzzled by this cold event.  Record lows are predicted  & breaking records for latest freeze :o

Erratic behavior suggests atmospheric turmoil  :o

There is talk of possible rain this weekend & a thunderstorm did occur around 4:00AM in San Fernando V [mostly lightning]

Yeager doesn't have very high accuracy  ???

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-bl....=yeager

Basically "May Gray/June Gloom" in April  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Apr. 04 2007,18:45)

Jack

66F/18.8c / 48F/8.8c

73F/22.7c / 48F

79F/26.1c / 49F

83F/26.3 / 57F/13.8c

83F / 57F

87F/30.5c / 62F/16.6c  

Northeastern foothills surrounding the basin enjoy the best of both worlds. Pasadena maximums & downtown minimums  :P

Thanks Happ, it looks like the average for the first six days was the same as the average for the whole month.

April has been grey, it feels like I haven't seen the sun all month...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

The low has been lowered further ... 45F for tonight... 42 for tomorrow night! I broke down and brought the ultratenders in.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

(Trópico @ Apr. 05 2007,09:35)

No April fools, this is real: Did I hear upper 40s for Friday/Saturday night? ???

Frank-

I am 34689.....but this is what weather.com says as of earlier tonight :angry: Its currently 62.2F at 12:15AM with some realtively stiff (12 mph gusts) winds.

If we actually get down to 37F, it will most certainly be an all time record for this time of year.

4-6-2007.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Man, this polar plunge is quite unusual for April.  Hard to image frost so late in the year in the South.  :o  Texas was cookin all March [very warm days/mild nights].  Anyone have info on how this event compares to past records.  Good luck folks  :(

This morning is totally overcast/spotty drizzle.  Spread of temps only 5-10 degrees lately.

Friday 68F/20c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

happ

Our all time record for today in Houston is 32F back in 1971, 34F in 1939.  We're supposed to get to 38F tonight, so no record, but definitely un-springlike, and with the drizzle damnably uncomfortable.

I understand that Altanta is supposed to break a 100 year cold record tonight or tomorrow night.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

49.3F/9.6C here this morning. I did not think it would get below 50F again until November. I guess I was wrong  :(

On the bright side, after one more cool day and night, it looks like perfect palm weather for the forseeable future  :cool:

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Right with you over here Bill.....49.6F at 740AM.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Were looking at high 80's for next week. 88 for Thusday with a chance of some rain. Ahhh bring it on. I think this WILL be the last of the cool weather for us here.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(BobbyinNY @ Apr. 06 2007,09:28)

Ray, this is ridiculous for April... I don't understand what the hell is going on.....  40's in FL, 30's here... Snow in parts of Texas...

but I'll bet DK down in the amazon is warm :)

Bobby,

It is nice you remember me sweating it out at the end of the Manaus winter season.  It has been raining a lot still which is normal for this time of the year.  By June the summer season should be kicking in with less and less rain.  Then the daytime temperatures will start coming in from 95 F to 100 F from August through October.  I have been reading up on climate change a lot as the UN IPCC claims that Amzon forest  may disappear by 2080.  Of course it will be unlikely be around then.  But, then I am not too worried about it as I don't think political biased reports made into calamities do much more than generate more grant money for those making them.  If you watch the news it is enough just give up and end it all now.  But, that would be no fun.  So I will just enjoy the weather.

dk

Easter.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(elHoagie @ Apr. 06 2007,11:10)

(happ @ Apr. 04 2007,18:45)

Jack

66F/18.8c / 48F/8.8c

73F/22.7c / 48F

79F/26.1c / 49F

83F/26.3 / 57F/13.8c

83F / 57F

87F/30.5c / 62F/16.6c  

Thanks Happ, it looks like the average for the first six days was the same as the average for the whole month.

The same local San Diego  forecaster, John Coleman, that predicted a possibility of no rain for the next six months (a month ago) also said at the same time, it looked like we were going to get a fair amount of "June gloom" fairly early and it might be outta here by June. Somewhat like last year. So far, he's been pretty right on. No more than a "trace" of rain/drizzle if we get any. At least here in coastal Oceanside.

Jack, Happ,

As an aside, where do you all have your temp sensors? In your coldest spot or your warmest spot?   I want to know the coldest, So I post my backyard cold temps. My frontyard is roughly 2F warmer (on the cold nights)

And yes, switching sensors nets the same results. :)

Thanx-

Bill

And you other folks- hang in there!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!