IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

No April Fools?

happ

49.6F over here in the artic icebox of Titusville! Not damaging cold by any stretch but pretty damn cold,for this time of year here!

I thought it was April?

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Thankfully....my last frost date was 2/14/2006

Oh, yeah.... that St. Valentine's day Massacre.. that was a mess up here - St. Patricks day as well, and now this past Noreaster was 4/15.. hmm....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Apr. 17 2007,12:46)

Thankfully....my last frost date was 2/14/2006

Oh, yeah.... that St. Valentine's day Massacre.. that was a mess up here - St. Patricks day as well, and now this past Noreaster was 4/15.. hmm....

Fortunately 2/14/06 was only a mild spanking in my yard :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Yes whine, whine, whine.  I'll have some cheese to if you've got it.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(BS, Man about Palms @ Apr. 16 2007,22:35)

(elHoagie @ Apr. 16 2007,13:37)

(Scott @ Apr. 16 2007,10:00)

Again they had predicted really high winds and cold but so far... knock on wood.... it's been pretty nice Sunday and now on Monday AM. It would be nice to have some rain though.

Hmm, I had a decent amount of rain before sunrise on Sunday, enough to get the soil wet.  I guess you didn't get any over in the valley?

I also got the cold and wind :angry:

I got just enough drizzle in Oceanside to smear the dust on my workvans windows............  :(

Bone dry :(   It's overcast today, but my hope for rain - or even a drizzle aren't high at all.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Fortunately 2/14/06 was only a mild spanking in my yard  

Mine was a full-fledged Beating :(

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

I don't know if I should even read this thread as it so far away from my daily reality.  I will be in South Floriday around May 18th, I trust by then things should be pretty pre-summerish.  Here in Boa Vista where I am now it is moving into the winter (rainy season) but, that does not mean a lot as far as minimum temps go.  Only the maximum temperatures are affected.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

This is a winter afternoon in Boa Vista where I am now.  It rained a lot during the night and I almost had to turn the A/C off.

dk

AcrossRioBranco2.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Apr. 17 2007,21:08)

This is a winter afternoon in Boa Vista where I am now.  It rained a lot during the night and I almost had to turn the A/C off.

dk

AcrossRioBranco2.jpg

Damn Don, that is an amazing shot  :P

The sheer height of the cumulonimbus  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

AT LAST!!!! It's Raining :P  

Never thought I'd be so glad for rain. But it's been raining steady for almost two hours now.

Those palms that are in pots were moved out so they could see what real rain is like.  :D

I'd love it if it kept up for the day, but that's too much to hope for.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

FINALLY..... some decent weather here in New York.......

4-day forecast:

Saturday, Apr 21,

Nice with plenty of sunshine

Low: 50 °FHigh: 76 °F

Sunday, Apr 22

Mostly sunny and pleasant

Low: 54 °FHigh: 78 °F

Monday, Apr 23

Mostly sunny and warm

Low: 54 °FHigh: 82 °F

Tuesday, Apr 24

Partly sunny

Low: 50 °FHigh: 74 °F

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Happ,

Here are the clouds that were hanging over Manaus when I drove into town on Thursday of last week. It has been a very wet april.  I don't know the accumulated rainfall, but I would bet that it could get close to 400 mm this month.  One thing we get here are a lot of big clouds.

RainyskiesoverManaus.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Absolutely beautiful stormclouds - what pictures!  Keep posting - love your photos.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

This is the coolest April I can remember.  It's finally warming up, but I can't recall another spring when my petunias lasted this long without starting to fry.

The drought is getting very bad, though.  I'm praying it won't be like last time, several years ago.

Here is the KBDI for FL.  I tried to post the graphic, but got an error message, so am posting the link instead:

http://flame.fl-dof.com/fire_weather/KBDI/index.html

And this link shows the drought situation for the whole US:  

http://wildfirenews.com/kbdi/

Edited to add that I was very surprised to see that Broward Co. is even worse off than we are - this probably caused the wildfires in the western part of the county.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny,

One of the things I always liked about living in South Florida was the summer skies and the effect as a thunder storm was on the move.  That is unless I was on I 95 at the home driving from work in Miami to my house in Fort Lauderdale.  Around here they can be even more dramatic.   You do not want to be out in the middle of a river when they hit. It has been mostly cloudy here and rained a bit since Thursday.  One thing that I learned while watching the national weather on one of the local networks was the affect that the water temperatures in the southern Atlantic (which has a cold current running north) have on our weather patterns.  If the South Atlantic is cooler than normal, like this year, there is less rain in Northeastern Brazil.  But, there is more rain in Northwestern Brazil where I am.  There is the dymaics of the El niño and La niña pulling on one side and the South Atlantic temperatures on the other.  This impacts the shifting of the intertropical convergence zone as it moves north or south depending the seasons in the hemispheres.  The Amazon is a major rain maker due to the high humidity over the area and this is pulled one way or another due to this effect.  Even though I am very close to the equator, 3 degrees South this shift moves us from rainy season to dry season.  And, up where I work a lot in Roraima, the first picture above, it is now moving into the rainy season due to the shift in this Intertropical convergence zone.  I mentioned this above already, but is interesting to see the seasons flip in a 9 hour drive by car.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Beautifull pics!

For here ... we have summer tempeture's that we get normally summer ... it's going to look like april 2007 will break al the records, like sunshine, dryness, heat, dayrecords oef .... And the new weather forecast is again warmer ... :D

Normal average

Day: 14C/57.2F

Night: 5C/ 41F

Tomorrow 24-04

Day: 25C/77F

Night: 10C/50F

Sunny and dry

Wednesday 25-04

Day: 27C/80.6F Maybe 30C/86F on local places ;)

Night 14C/57.2F

Sunny and dry

Thursday 26-04

Day: 26C/78.8F

Night: 13C/55.4F

Sunny and dry

Friday 27-04

Night: 11C/51.8F

Sunny and dry

Saturday 28-04

Night: 13C/55.4F

Sunny and dry

Sunday 29-04

Day: 27C/80.6F

Night 14C/57.2F

Sunny and dry

I think we get more heat at the end of the week, that every time, but we will see ... it looks like summer :D How would the real summer be? :D

Robbin

Southwest

Yesterday afternoon in the indian reservation between Manaus and Boa Vista.  It was  typical rain and sun sort of day on the equator.  I was about 1 degree South Latitude at the moment.  The pictures are looking both ways on the road.  The sign says Indian Reservation.  When I stopped there were some macaws making a racket next to the road.  There were quite a few indians hunting along the road with bow and arrows.  After the rain game tends to come out on the the roadway.

dk

Weatherapril26reserva.jpg

Weatherapril26Reserva2.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don

It's great having an observer at the Equator  :P

April ended uneventfully but there were several interesting developments [ie 4/20 record cold max 58F/14.4c.  More rain than in any other month but in a year of record drought  :o

MAX 73.8F/23.2C NORM 76F

MIN 53.8F/12c  NORM 56F

RAIN 0.81'

TOTAL 5.21

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ,

My maximum on April 20 was only 12C, and it happened at midnight!

My numbers for the month are:

Avg Hi - 24C (75F)

Avg Lo - 11C (52F)

Extreme Hi - 34C (93F)

Extreme Lo - 7C (45F)

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...