Land Search

RainForestt Robert

The search for land on a small island is extremely frustrating.  After taking family, work, commute and money available into consideration I can't afford much land that would be attached to single family dwelling.  Our present home (uncompleted) is on just 5500 sq feet.  The footprint of the house takes up most of the yard.  No room for a bismarckia  :( !

The cost of land is escalating dramatically.  Ours appreciated over 100 percent in the last 3 years.  And the cost of construction has also doubled.  (Did I say the house is not finished?)  Townhouses, almost unheard of a few years ago are sprouting up all over.  Meanwhile, there is a 3/4 acre empty lot next to me, owner residing overseas, waiting to return to Trinidad one day.

OK, enough background.  I am looking for agricultural land to grow palms, cycads, heliconias.  Heck, I need to turn this hobby into a business so that when I retire, hopefully at 50, I can build a house on a few acres in the country.  So I am looking to field grow palms that can then be sold to municipalities and homeowners.  When I looked at Ryan's photos of the bottle palms I was salivitating.

Two weeks ago I looked at some land that was available for lease, but it was so far away and the roads were so bad, water not available that I considered it no more.

Last week I checked out another plot that seemed to have a bit more potential.  It is about 20 - 25 minutes from where we I live.  Let's take a look around.

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Driving through the Mon Desir area I noticed that there are numerous farming operations, mostly family owned and producing short term crops, like lettuce, tomatoes, peppers etc.

DSC_0078.jpg

Sorry if the images are less than sharp.  I have not mastered taking photos from moving, jolting vehicles.

We traveled along a ridge that gives an overview of the area.

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

We are in the middle of the dry season now, but there were a few clouds and sprinkles around that day.

Apart from the crops mentioned earlier, some citrus is also produced in the area.

DSC_0045.jpg

I'm not too knowledgeable, but I think the fields could do with some clearing.  To the right you can see a small house where the owner resides.

Water is not available in this area, so ponds are dug, filled in the rainy season and hopefully, last until the rains come in June.

DSC_0048.jpg

The owner of this property, which is adjacent to the one I was looking at was a nice guy.  He ringed his pond with Coconuts.  He drew water from the pond via a pump driven by the engine of his tractor.  Water was pumped into a tank on the trailer of the tractor and then taken to different parts of the fields.  In the photo of post 2 the farmer is watering his plants with water taken from a pond that is behind the trees.

End of the road?  Not quite, under all that burnt brush, there actually is a paved road.  The owner of the land did not want to dirty his brand new Honda CRV, so we did the last bit on foot.

DSC_0004.jpg

Scenes along the way.

Acromia acuelatas are a pretty common sight.

DSC_0026.jpg

As is this Desmoncus orthocantus

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Finally we arrive at the location.  Previously the owner grew papayas, peppers etc.  The land is to the left of the Acromias.

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

More later.