IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor Wakulla Dwarf or Blountstown Dwarf

NorthFlpalmguy

Sabal minor Wakulla Dwarf or Blountstown Dwarf- Does anybody have these and any additional info on them besides what a google search will bring up?

I have 4 Blountstown dwarf and 2 Wakulla dwarf.

My largest Blountstown has set fruit for the 2nd time after skipping last year. The other 3 are juveniles in my garden lot and have just started going palmate. My largest is truly dwarf: 17-18" tall and 3' wide. Its leaves form only 60 degree angles compared to the full leaves of other Sabals and tend to lie flat near the ground. From what I've read this dwarf grows true from seed but I haven't confirmed that. In any case, it is very cool - a "rock garden palm" as the saying goes. I know of someone in Iowa who grows one in a pot and has it flower and set seeds. Most Sabals are poor candidates for pot culture. I hope to germinate more of them to scatter around my property, as they are so compact. Because it is a dwarf palm it produces far fewer seeds than large Sabals. This mutation was discovered in forest near the town of Blountstown in NFL, hence its name

I know very little about the Wakulla dwarf, except its dimensions should approximate those of Blountstown. It also was discovered near the town that gives it its namesake. Are these two varieties closely related or even the same genetically? I don't know. My two are still strap leaf juveniles. I planted them on my garden lot near the 3 Blountstowns (I'm not concerned about hybridization) and I hope eventually to compare these varieties.

Both of these little palms show great promise, esp. for palm lovers in cold climates.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I agree Meg and thanks for the info! Both locations are relatively close so I bet they're closely related (if not the same).

I was offered some seeds this upcoming year ( I live relatively close to both places) and told they grow true as well. Just haven't heard of much about them but knew someone here had to.

• 4 months later...

Meg, do you have any recent photos of yours you can post? We're thinking of ordering a few and wondering what they look like after a few years in the ground.   

Also wondering if anyone in northern Calif is growing either of them in their garden?

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

1 hour ago, WestCoastGal said:

Meg, do you have any recent photos of yours you can post? We're thinking of ordering a few and wondering what they look like after a few years in the ground.   

Also wondering if anyone in northern Calif is growing either of them in their garden?

I have both, Debbie.  But small...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks Ben. I'll be curious to see how yours do in our area in the coming years. How long have you had yours? I haven't found many photos of either and from what I saw of the Wakulla dwarf it looks like it has fuller shaped fronds and maybe more fronds than the Blounstown but don't know if that's a true representation or if it's just the age of the plant in the photo. I'm thinking of using them in one of our palm beds as kind of an understory plant for our mule and trachycarpus. The area gets some sun and partial shade so think it will do well there. We have 2 S minors and they are both doing well in our hot, dry climate here so sure these dwarfs will be happy too. 

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

40 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Thanks Ben. I'll be curious to see how yours do in our area in the coming years. How long have you had yours? I haven't found many photos of either and from what I saw of the Wakulla dwarf it looks like it has fuller shaped fronds and maybe more fronds than the Blounstown but don't know if that's a true representation or if it's just the age of the plant in the photo. I'm thinking of using them in one of our palm beds as kind of an understory plant for our mule and trachycarpus. The area gets some sun and partial shade so think it will do well there. We have 2 S minors and they are both doing well in our hot, dry climate here so sure these dwarfs will be happy too. 

Yes, I just got mine this summer when I found out about them.  I am trying one in full sun, and one mostly shaded.  Should be interesting to see how they do!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I was not aware that these are two different varieties of Sabal Minor. Bear in mind that Blountstown is only 53 miles from Crawfordville (Wakulla), so I am not sure how genetically different they could be.

7 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I was not aware that these are two different varieties of Sabal Minor. Bear in mind that Blountstown is only 53 miles from Crawfordville (Wakulla), so I am not sure how genetically different they could be.

They look pretty similar to me.  I wanted to try them in a couple of different places/conditions, so no harm in getting more than one!

Ben Rogers

I notice I never posted photos of mine - my bad. Will rectify that tomorrow.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the pic Redbeard. I we are both close to 'ground zero' for these. I've seen quite a few of the Wakulla dwarfs (I suspect) now in habitat but never in cultivation.