IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trunking Livistona in Columbia, SC?

smithgn

On another palm message board, I saw a post made by a guy that included various pictures of palms throughout the Columbia area. Most of them featured Butias, Palmettos, Serenoa Repens and some Filibustas. What really caught my eye was one Livistona. Above the picture in the thread he says it's a Livistona Decora. I'm not sure whether it's a Decora (Decipiens) or a Chinensis, but either way, it's pretty amazing that there's a surviving Livistona, much less, a trunking 15 to 20 foot Livistona in the Columbia area. The picture was taken in 2012 so I'm not sure if it survived the harsh winter last year and the winter before last, but just wanted to get everyones thoughts on it and possibly whether they think it's a Decora or a Chinensis? And even better, if you know where it is, please let me know!! Lol

Here she is:

IMG_6453_zpsloqo6xfe.png

Chinensis don't even get that tall, do they? Leaves are very deeply divided...looks more like Decora to me?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Looks like I've got my answer!

"The Livistona decora is at the Riverbank Zoo and Botanical Garden. As you probably know, the zoo/garden is situated on a bluff above the Congaree River, which I'm sure moderates the temps quite a bit. The palm also benefits from being planted within the brick walled courtyard with its many fountains and extensive hardscaping. Despite such a wonderful microclimate, the palm seems to defoliate most winters.

I don't think any Livistona would make it long term in the Columbia area without a great microclimate and occasional protection when temps get too low. The immediate coast from Charleston southward are probably the best locations to try the hardier species of the genus."

Chinensis don't even get that tall, do they? Leaves are very deeply divided...looks more like Decora to me?

Eventually, very slowly, they do get up to 20 feet or so? At least in our Southeast climates they do from pictures I've seen of them in Florida. But I dont think they're an overly tall species, although Pal Meir's picture seems to display a rather tall one in it's native country. Looks like you're right though, Ben!

A tall L. chinensis on Ishigaki island (Ryûkyûs) where it is native:

attachicon.gifLivistona chinensis 1987-08-21 0709.jpg

Interesting picture. I'd almost mistake it for a Palmetto although it's leaves aren't as costopalmate as the Palmetto's is.

Australis and Decoras are so similiar that I get them confused, but Decora it is!

It looks pretty good for defoliating every winter!

I can't even imagine how old the chinensis is in that native picture, to be that tall.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

They can be very tall.

Wow how neat is that! So considering where it is.. what kind of cold do you think it has seen ? I read somewhere that decora is the hardiest in the genus? If they grow fast enough that might be an alternative to a robusta..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

That is a L. decora.

Livistona chinensis can get 30ft or taller. Here are some very tall ones at Leu Gardens

img_5122.jpg

2ce7.jpg

d2f0.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wow how neat is that! So considering where it is.. what kind of cold do you think it has seen ? I read somewhere that decora is the hardiest in the genus? If they grow fast enough that might be an alternative to a robusta..

It's most likely gotten down into the low teens. As Dwayne said (the guy that took the picture), it is in a pretty good microclimate. The zoo is in a great area and is a palm haven. I've heard there's a rather large Brahea Armata there as well. I don't know how I haven't noticed it! I think the Decora and the Nitida are neck and neck for the most hardy of the Livistona bunch. Both of the species grow just as fast as the W. Robusta. I have 2 Nitidas at home that went through a mishap in early spring, but have bounced back well and has been putting out fronds left and right.

Columbia is in a "heat bowl" microclimate. I'm not surprised that this decora is growing there, It looks really good.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Impressive. I should drive an L. decora up to Wilmington, NC or thereabouts.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us