IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Floribunda order has arrived!!! So excited!

Kai

15 minutes ago, Kai said:

Hi Pal, I am currently researching how to obtain the pine bark 2-8mm. I have contacted several suppliers in the Netherlands of the redsun product. All suppliers have no more stock and tell me that redsun stopped production of the product. I might have to come to Germany for some grabdekor. When I have found a reliable supplier I will start a 2nd repotting event and the Syagrus ruschiana will be repotted as well. Picture of the roots will follow then.

Another option which would be better than leaving it as it is now: Mix the old soil with ca. 1/3 Seramis + ca. 1/3 ±crushed LECA, so that the drainage gets ver fast and the soil does not get soggy.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 27.7.2016, 21:57:55, Kai said:

20160624_205643.thumb.jpg.99ecf3ada1b22d

@Kai Hello Kai, as I see on the pic of your Astrocaryum you have still a couple of little L hoehnei babies. I can give you 20 or 40 litres Grabdekor in exchange for one or two of your smaller Hoehnes (only with plumules). What do you think?

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

@Kai Hello Kai, as I see on the pic of your Astrocaryum you have still a couple of little L hoehnei babies. I can give you 20 or 40 litres Grabdekor in exchange for one or two of your smaller Hoehnes (only with plumules). What do you think?

Of course Pal, we wil help eachother. I will contact you this weekend and we can discuss how we can make this exchange work.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I will soon be placing my first Floribunda order and keeping all my plants in pots so I've thoroughly enjoyed this! Please continue with the updates! I've also taken note of what you suggest for potting media.

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016‎ ‎6‎:‎07‎:‎09‎, Missi said:

I will soon be placing my first Floribunda order and keeping all my plants in pots so I've thoroughly enjoyed this! Please continue with the updates! I've also taken note of what you suggest for potting media.

Your going to be impressed!

my 3rd order this year will be here tomorrow 8/11

• Upvote 1

I just placed my small order yesterday. I made a huge splurge and ordered a Sabinaria magnifica :wub: I also ordered Johannesteijsmannia magnifica, Calyptrocalyx leptostachys, and a Phoenicophorium borsigianum. The order will ship out after Labor Day as they just left for vacation.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Missi said:

I just placed my small order yesterday. I made a huge splurge and ordered a Sabinaria magnifica :wub: I also ordered Johannesteijsmannia magnifica, Calyptrocalyx leptostachys, and a Phoenicophorium borsigianum. The order will ship out after Labor Day as they just left for vacation.

Anyone knows if they post to Sydney as well?

18 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Anyone knows if they post to Sydney as well?

Yes, they ship international. Read their website! Minimum order amount for international orders is $300 but add a Sabinaria magnifica or two and you're there in a jiffy ^_^

http://www.floribundapalms.com/order.lasso

12 hours ago, Missi said:

Yes, they ship international. Read their website! Minimum order amount for international orders is $300 but add a Sabinaria magnifica or two and you're there in a jiffy ^_^

http://www.floribundapalms.com/order.lasso

Ma'am, if only life were as grand as a Floribunda order . . . .

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Ma'am, if only life were as grand as a Floribunda order . . . .

I love it! I agree!! :lol:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Tempatures were going down to -6.1C/21F this morning and stayed below 0C/ 32F this whole day, so I thought it might be a good moment to think about an update on my palms

from the Floribunda order.

Kai did an amazing job organizing this and kept us well informed through the whole proces.

On July 25th 2015 we had the possibility potting up our palms in the west part of our country, so I did not hesitate to join the party.

Unfortunately a big storm was raging through the coutry that day, so I had to drive carefully and avoid many fallen branches/ small trees ,but arrived safely.

We had a fantastic day and I came home in the evening as a proud owner of many nice palm species. Many thanks to Kai and Jeff Marcus.

Some pictures: the first pictures are from November 2015, the second ones from January 2017. Most palms in the second pictures are already repotted in bigger containers.

Laccospadix australasica : grows slowly but steadily

586fbb0a9bcfb_Afbeelding002.jpg.b213ce6f

586fbb92864c2_Afbeelding007.thumb.jpg.bb

Pinanga speciosa

586fbc82bb251_Afbeelding018.jpg.3b092ee7

586fbcc78f3a0_Afbeelding006.thumb.jpg.34

Heterospathe woodfordiana:  grows pretty fast.

586fbd9392346_Afbeelding014.jpg.fa83f07b

586fbe01a6da1_Afbeelding001.thumb.jpg.c5

Lytocaryum (Syagrus) hoehnei :

586fbf0c872de_Afbeelding005.jpg.9f908950

586fbf562f03e_Afbeelding004.jpg.4826054c

Pinanga caesia: a little spidermite infestation last winter, but good recovery.

586fc0351237f_Afbeelding016.jpg.435629b9

586fc0795e23e_Afbeelding003.thumb.jpg.70

Chuniophoenix hainanensis

586fc19e97ba7_Afbeelding009.jpg.306045e8

586fc1d7271b6_Afbeelding002.jpg.b172a2ef

More to follow...

• Upvote 4

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_simpleblack_both&

Dypsis leptocheilos

586fc36fea7aa_Afbeelding004.thumb.jpg.92

586fc3ab8f9a1_Afbeelding009.jpg.32084071

Cyphosperma trichospadix

586fc412c7b7d_Afbeelding008.thumb.jpg.1b

586fc447d3e1a_Afbeelding008.jpg.dc1be4da

Hydriastele rheophytica

586fc4c76a784_Afbeelding023.jpg.77837da1

586fc51131723_Afbeelding010.thumb.jpg.13

Pinanga adangensis, Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus, Heterospathe longipes and Pinanga phillipinensis didn't make it unfortunately.

At first I wasn't sure Asterogyne martiana was going to survive especially after emerging of a brown new spear.

But it did survive and it's growing surprisingly fast, but with smaller leaves.

Asterogyne martiana

Afbeelding.thumb.jpg.69eafca19d0b94d0624

Burretiokentia hapala

586fc922d2e51_Afbeelding035.jpg.7bd26d98

586fc97a36e6a_Afbeelding011.jpg.fb490963

All of this palms are inside during our winter in a room with warmer temperatures and high humidity; during late spring/ early summer they're placed outside .

Cheers,  Henri

• Upvote 5

• 3 months later...

One of the Heterospathe woodfordiana is doing great. Two new leaves after the last update.

Showing a bit of colour right now.

Afbeelding%20031_1.jpg

Cheers, Henri

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Kajsa12 said:

One of the Heterospathe woodfordiana is doing great. Two new leaves after the last update.

Showing a bit of colour right now.

Afbeelding%20031_1.jpg

Cheers, Henri

Good growth Henri! Thanks for your update!

Will you be in Haps in June this year?

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I always forget to photograph some, but here are most of my Hawaïan palms:

Licuala ramsayi

tmp_8951-20170424_1106501866374751.thumb

Not doing very well on my window sill. Probably the air gets too dry from the heating radiator. I will replace it to my unheated plant room and hope for healthier growth.

Astrocaryum alatum

tmp_8951-20170424_110602-2122473403.thum

Doing awesome on my window sill.

Syagrus ruschiana and botryophora

tmp_8951-20170424_110522-625724307.thumb

These took some time to recover and are now slowly making new leaves. Still all in the strapleaf stage.

Astrocaryum aculaetissimum

tmp_8951-20170424_1104511197003968.thumb

Back from the dead and finally picking up some speed.

Lytocaryum hoehnei

tmp_8951-20170424_1104261954115601.thumb

Awesome plants and doing great indoors!

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

2 hours ago, Kai said:

Licuala ramsayi

tmp_8951-20170424_1106501866374751.thumb

Astrocaryum alatum

tmp_8951-20170424_110602-2122473403.thum

Blessed the cat! Sleeps very quietly

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Nice update, Kai.:greenthumb:

12 hours ago, Kai said:

Will you be in Haps in June this year?

Yes, I'll be there.

It looks like temperatures will finally go up this weekend. Time to put some Floribunda palms outside.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2017, 4:21:19, gyuseppe said:

Blessed the cat! Sleeps very quietly

and nibbleth not on the fronds . . .  :rant:

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone confirm whether they've successfully received a Floribunda order into Australia? I know our customs can be strict on live plant material.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

• 3 months later...