IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

»Before & After« Pix of Potted Palms

Pal Meir

9 hours ago, earthworm73 said:

Pal is there any organic "soil" in the mix in those photos?

The Easter egg photos show Syagrus insignis (Lytocaryum insigne) seedlings with their special fast draining soil mix, consisting of 1/2 Seramis® + 1/2 French pine bark (2-8 mm) + a layer of LECA on the bottom.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

WOW fantastic thread awesome growing skills !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Syagrus weddelliana (Lytocaryum weddellianum) N°1301 exactly 3 years after germination in a 2 litre pot (14.8×17.4 cm) with soil mix 2/3 pine bark (2-8 mm) + 1/3 Seramis® + LECA layer on the bottom, compared to the 1/2 year old and 50 days young seedling in an 8×9 cm clay pot with 3/5 pine bark (2-8 cm) + 1/3 Kokohum® + 1/3 Seramis®:

56fe4f301d6d6_SyagrusweddellianaN1301201

56fe4f34397df_SyagrusweddellianaN1301201

56fe4f390926c_SyagrusweddellianaN1301201

• Upvote 4

Nice Pal. I always enjoy your potted palms posting and the fact that you include the growing medium info as well. Is that a palm that requires excellent drainage? BTW do you happen to have pictures of the root systems of your palms growing in that mix to share?

Edited by earthworm73

31 minutes ago, earthworm73 said:

Nice Pal. I always enjoy your potted palms posting and the fact that you include the growing medium info as well. Is that a palm that requires excellent drainage? BTW do you happen to have pictures of the root systems of your palms growing in that mix to share?

I had best results with fast draining light acidic soils (pine bark 2-8 mm as main substrate), regular watering with lots of soft water (± strong diluted mineral fert), and avoiding wet feet. The first time I added also Kokohum® (fine coir), but when replanting the seedlings into larger or plastic pots I didn’t add coir any more. The missing humidity indoors (esp. during the heating period) was never a problem to this palm species. – Below a pic of the roots from 2011, I don’t have a newer one.

56feb35dde6d0_Syagrusweddelliana2011-04-

• Upvote 3

Wow those are some serious roots. "White" and nice and fat. That's my goal for all of my palms still in pots. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Washingtonia (robusta?) before (1982-06-16 in 6x6cm peat pots) and after 1½ year (1984-01-08 in 12x12cm plastic pots):

579b9025e0360_Washingtonia1982-06-16N06-

579b9029f3449_Washingtonia1984-01-08.thu

Nice!! So much growth in such a short amount of time. I'm glad I decided to take progress pics of my Washy. The first photo was taken the day it emerged from the soil.

• 1 month later...
On July 10, 2015 at 2:52:06 PM, Pal Meir said:

(9) Before & after 19 years:

Chamaedorea metallica 1983 & 2002

post-10467-0-74441100-1436554264_thumb.j post-10467-0-51011200-1436554296_thumb.j

What are the two in front of the Metallica?  Thanks!  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

1983: Ch metallica x 4, Phoenix rupicola (right)

2002: Ch metallica x 3 (var. pinnata x 2)

Thank you so much!   I didn't realise thet Metallicas come In pinnate form.  Learn something new every day!  I love the Metallicas, and love he pinnate ones ever more.    Now where can I get one?  :-).  If anyone knows a good source please let me know.  

1 hour ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Thank you so much!   I didn't realise thet Metallicas come In pinnate form.  Learn something new every day!  I love the Metallicas, and love he pinnate ones ever more.    Now where can I get one?  :-).  If anyone knows a good source please let me know.  

My Metallicas were grown from own seed:

57d5d72bab7b5_Chamaedoreametallicapinnat

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

My Metallicas were grown from own seed:

57d5d72bab7b5_Chamaedoreametallicapinnat

Amazing!   If you have any the side of that smaller one to sell....  :-).    Seriously I would life to find one though.  

Pal:

That great photo reminds me of the three tall, bifid form C. metallica that I grew in my office in Guatemala for ages. I also generated plenty of good seed from that trio over the course of the years. Kept pollen-loaded male infls dry in paper bags until females were receptive. I had a trio of elegans from high elevation accession in single large pot there as well. Did OK, but nothing like the metallica that always looked leaf perfect. Benefitted from huge glass windows running the length of the office providing lots of indirect light all day. This species really is a winner for indoor growers. Can't imagine why people insist on persisting with things that will never thrive indoors.

J

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

I gave all Metallicas away in 2008 (and almost all other palms too). :(

Awe.  That makes me sad.   Those were beatiful.    I can't find a thing on Metallica var pinnata.  Are they rare?

No, not particularly rare since they occur randomly but with some frequency in seed batches from bifid mothers. I understand they do breed fairly true to form if both parents are pinnate. They are not a variety in the strict sense. The are a leaf form. Some metallica have a combination of both types, or have fishtail terminal pinnae and few additional pairs. There are many normally bifid-leaf palms (as adults) that have pinnate leaf forms, even within siblings.

@DCA_Palm_Fan I found another photo of a perfectly pinnate Metallica (7 years old). And in a hidden corner of a recent photo from a birthday party I discovered one of my »given-aways«, now ca. 15 years old and not so happy and now less pinnate … :(

57d6cb77b00b0_Chmetallica2006-09-15IMG_0

57d6cb7ae43f6_Chmetallica2016-03-05P1010

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

@DCA_Palm_Fan I found another photo of a perfectly pinnate Metallica (7 years old). And in a hidden corner of a recent photo from a birthday party I discovered one of my »given-aways«, now ca. 15 years old and not so happy and now less pinnate … :(

It still looks great to me though.  I wonder what caused it to become less pinnate?   That's very interesting.   Is it revering to its regular form?  

Still, I love it tough! 

17 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

It still looks great to me though.  I wonder what caused it to become less pinnate?   That's very interesting.   Is it revering to its regular form?  

Still, I love it tough! 

I guess it could be the too dark position :rant: in a hidden corner of a livingroom.

• Upvote 1

Not in pots, but before & now. First pic is three years after I planted these in 2008 as 3 gal Robusta's. You can see the sereona's pushing their first leaves from seed. Second pic is 2012 & third is this morning.

o10e2a.jpg

33xvmme.jpg

244tkzn.jpg

Edited by Laaz
  • Upvote 7

Chamaedorea Elegans :  purchased in 2009.  Photos in this order.

1- 8/2010

2- 9/11/2016 (before repot - see other thread on air layering)

3- 9/12/2016 (after repot) 

IMG_7931.JPG

IMG_8048.PNG

IMG_8049.PNG

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a before and after per se, but a before pic.   My small raphis excelsa still in its nursery pot, has opened a new leaf!   Woohoo!    This leaf was a spear that was barely 1/3 the way poking out when I bought it back in September.    Hope this one is a little faster  growing.  It's already nicely developed it's characteristic brown fibrous trunk.  It has 8 leaves and the opening spear will be it's 9th.  This new one and the two before it have 6 leaf segments.     

This is only the second one I've had.  The first one was like a decade ago and roughly the same size.   Unfortunately that one didn't make it.  Any tips on it's care other than the usual?    Cheers!  

IMG_1157.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Sabinaria magnifica one year later; @Kai it is longing to be back in Amsterdam, because it gets here only Young Gouda without a Dutch lullaby:

5948fbeca516a_N15112016-06-20P1010858.th

5948fbf230f37_N15112017-06-20P1030755.th

It will be growing in a wooden shoe underneath a windmill next to the tulips :floor:

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

On 6/20/2017, 6:44:39, Pal Meir said:

Sabinaria magnifica one year later; @Kai it is longing to be back in Amsterdam, because it gets here only Young Gouda without a Dutch lullaby:

5948fbeca516a_N15112016-06-20P1010858.th

5948fbf230f37_N15112017-06-20P1030755.th

It has grown so nicely! Mine is nice, but not growing quickly at all. What are your tricks? Fertilizer? How much light? Perhaps I'm not giving mine enough light...

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 4 weeks later...

I think you have everyone beat. Lol.   Those palms are as old as me! :)

And here the story of a sad looking :( Chamaedorea elegans which lost all of its leaves after a severe frost in February 2002. The photos show the palm when it was two years old (1972; black & white), 12 years (1982; most left) and 32 years (2002). After that year I cut the stem twice because it grew too tall for indoors. In 2008 I gave the (2x cut) palm away. It is a female plant. I don’t know if it is still alive.

59727f0752304_Chamaedoreaelegans82N07-01

59727f10f32de_Chamaedoreaelegans2002-08-

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...