IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

»Before & After« Pix of Potted Palms

Pal Meir

Pal, your pics show your "keenness" :greenthumb: , so are you using "grow lights" or a "heated" Hot house to get great growth with many of those palms since winters are so "freezing cold" @ 52 deg Nth of the Equator??

Keep Keen :)

Pete

After the seeds had germinated I don't use bottom heat (I did this only in arlier times, but it wasn’t good for the roots at all; pic 1) or a special greenhouse for the seedlings, but placed them on the floor of a living room (pic 2) or on a window sill (pics 3). When the winter (or even the summer) was too dark here, I placed some palms e.g. under a reading lamp (pics 4&5). Other palms like Chamaerops and Trachycarpus were all the year outdoors; only during heavy or long lasting freezes I put them into a greenhouse (pics 6&7). As I like to live together with palms I have them in my living room (as you can see also with the Phoenix rupicola (pic 8), that I had carried into the garden only for taking a better photo.

I have 'leider' to disagree with this statement as a general rule. I have very positive results for many more tropical palms and even Chamedorea plants when i combine bottom heat with a cold frame with open windows in winter. 'Ansonsten' great job as other people have pointed out already, kudos!

Edited by Phoenikakias

Livistona chinensis var. subglobosa, before & after 7 years

Have you any saved picures of the supposed subglobose seeds? I try in vain to find any pictures in google.

Pal, your pics show your "keenness" :greenthumb: , so are you using "grow lights" or a "heated" Hot house to get great growth with many of those palms since winters are so "freezing cold" @ 52 deg Nth of the Equator??

Keep Keen :)

Pete

After the seeds had germinated I don't use bottom heat (I did this only in arlier times, but it wasn’t good for the roots at all; pic 1) or a special greenhouse for the seedlings, but placed them on the floor of a living room (pic 2) or on a window sill (pics 3). When the winter (or even the summer) was too dark here, I placed some palms e.g. under a reading lamp (pics 4&5). Other palms like Chamaerops and Trachycarpus were all the year outdoors; only during heavy or long lasting freezes I put them into a greenhouse (pics 6&7). As I like to live together with palms I have them in my living room (as you can see also with the Phoenix rupicola (pic 8), that I had carried into the garden only for taking a better photo.

I have 'leider' to disagree with this statement as a general rule. I have very positive results for many more tropical palms and even Chamedorea plants when i combine bottom heat with a cold frame with open windows in winter. 'Ansonsten' great job as other people have pointed out already, kudos!

My remarks are focussed on the roots of Lytocaryum (Syagrus) weddellianum. But I think also that the heating system I used then wasn’t the best one …

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Have you any saved picures of the supposed subglobose seeds? I try in vain to find any pictures in google.

I can’t (leider) find neither an old photo nor old seeds which didn’t germinate, but only the photo of the Japanese parent tree in habitat:

post-10467-0-39181400-1440194649_thumb.j

In every case I am thankful to you for your efforts. Have you personally experienced any difference in growing habit and/or morphology of the subglobosa compared with the regular Chinensis?

In every case I am thankful to you for your efforts. Have you personally experienced any difference in growing habit and/or morphology of the subglobosa compared with the regular Chinensis?

In habitat or as road trees I saw only the Japanese (on Aoshima/Kyûshû) and the Ryûkyûan (on Okinawa, Ishigaki, and Iriomote) type of L. chinensis. Other L. chinensis I saw stood in botanical gardens or parks in Asia, Australia, and Europe. The differences I could see belonged only to the different climates of the locations, as I had no chance to compare other details like fruits, seeds, or blossoms.

On Flickr I have found this link with good photos of (Taiwanese) L. chinensis var. subglobosa seeds:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingiweng/5369679034

Just as I thought, fruits are slightly to inconspicuouly more rounded than those of regular chinensis, but seeds look very similar.

Great pics Pal

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Just as I thought, fruits are slightly to inconspicuouly more rounded than those of regular chinensis, but seeds look very similar.

But to me normal (i.e. non-subglobosa) seeds look more elongated; maybe yours are seeds from a L. ch. subglobosa?

Normal (non-subglobosa) L. chinensis seeds:

post-10467-0-43136000-1440328676_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Syagrus weddelliana = Lytocaryum weddellianum Before & After 2 years:

2013-10-01, half a year since germination, encircled the 3 palms #1302, 01 (back), and 04 (front middle) (in 8×9cm clay pots inside 8×8×9 cm plastic pots)

Syagrus_weddelliana_2013-10-01.thumb.jpg

2015-10-01, the 3 palms #1302 & 01 (back) and #1304 (front) (in 14.8×17.4cm plastic pots; on the right an old clay+plastic pot for comparison)

Syagrus_weddelliana_2015-10-01_P1000921.

Syagrus_weddelliana_2015-10-01_P1000927.

• Upvote 4

Your Lytocaryums look pretty good Pal! These are also my favourite palm ever since my interest in palms began...when I was 10 I think.

In 2006 I bought some seeds from a Frenchman and got some seedlings out of that.

Lytocaryum_weddellianum_24-02-2008.thumb

Today plant has grown and looks like this...

20140524_100006.thumb.jpg.906a56e2d62aa8

• Upvote 4

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Hello Kay, so your photos are Before & After 9 years:greenthumb: Most potted Lyto wedds don’t live so long. I had many Lytos in the past too, but because I had to be often a long time out of home (in other continents far away) I saw also most of mine dying. :( Therefore my "oldest" Lyto wedds are now only from April 2013, only 2 and a half year young.

This was also in my case the palm I liked most since I was a child (or not still an adult). :wub:

Yes Pal, these pictures are before and after 9 years. It's the same plant.

I had the misfortune myself for some time to not be able to take care of my palms and this is the only palm from my old collection that I was able to keep. With thanks to my uncle who took care of it for the years I was forced out of the hobby. He did a great job! It's actually trunking now.

Your 2013 plants are right at that age that they are going to speed up, so you'd better start making some room... I have another one about that size and it's growing about 6 mm (sorry for you non-metric people) a day and still speeding up. (Call me crazy, but I actually keep up with its growth patterns in an excell file)

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

The speed of growth seems to depend on several factors: Although I treated e.g. these 2 year old 3 Lytos in the same way their growth rate is totally different. The left one is a slow grower, the middel one (#1304 in the photo above) is a normal average grower, and the right one (#1301 above) a very fast grower, much faster than any other of the over 100 Lytos I owned in the past. (The clay pots in the photo below have an diameter of 12 cm.)

Syagrus_weddelliana_2015-04-07_P1000461.

• Upvote 2

Pal Meir, Guten Morgen. 

How is Ptychosperma macarthurii doing, is it still alive?  Do all Ptychosperma like to grow in part shade? If so this might be a good indoor/out palm for me. 

Roger. 

The small(est) palm on the left is the same as the 3rd one in the front row of the 2013-10-01 photo.

Never mind about the smaller size. It may be 'klein' and 'gemein' at the same time. It's occured to me quite often that fast growers have, alas, also proved fast diers. I adore seeing pictures of individual palms in timeline. Lytos here are very slow, they do not like hot, they do not like dry air, they do not like alkaline soil, they do not like summer sun etc. But they detaste also winter, which is colder than they would prefer,  accompanied also usually by  a 'healthy' desiccating northern wind, good for drying the laundry, bad for understory palms! I mean every palm that performs poorly here during summer, is a slug.

Pal Meir, Guten Morgen. 

How is Ptychosperma macarthurii doing, is it still alive?  Do all Ptychosperma like to grow in part shade? If so this might be a good indoor/out palm for me. 

Roger. 

I don’t know how it is doing now. When I moved in 2008 I gave it away together with almost all my other palms to something like a zoo for birds (Weltvogelpark Walsrode). Though it grows indoors it needs a light, half-sunny place. And it will become very tall soon. So if your rooms don’t have a high ceiling you will enjoy only the suckers.

The small(est) palm on the left is the same as the 3rd one in the front row of the 2013-10-01 photo.

Never mind about the smaller size. It may be 'klein' and 'gemein' at the same time. It's occured to me quite often that fast growers have, alas, also proved fast diers. I adore seeing pictures of individual palms in timeline. Lytos here are very slow, they do not like hot, they do not like dry air, they do not like alkaline soil, they do not like summer sun etc. But they detaste also winter, which is colder than they would prefer,  accompanied also usually by  a 'healthy' desiccating northern wind, good for drying the laundry, bad for understory palms! I mean every palm that performs poorly here during summer, is a slug.

Yes, you are right: My tiny "bonsai" palms (esp. Chamaerops) have the longest lifetime. – As to L. weddellianum: Did you ever try L. insigne? It seems to be much tougher than its delicate sister. Even my one and a half year old seedlings did endure direct sun here in Germany with temps over 40°C (photo somewhere above in this thread). But during its juvenile stage (the first 2 years) L. insigne is very "syagrussy", that means only undivided simple leaves, very different to L. weddellianum which looks already with only 3 leaves like a "real" palm tree.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

that's awesome Pal... congrats :), as always enjoy watching/ reading your threads and learn many many things...

one of the main issue I am having with keeping palm inside beside all other matters is " unhappy wife"with many pot inside...any suggestion for this one ?:P

3 hours ago, Mohsen said:

that's awesome Pal... congrats :), as always enjoy watching/ reading your threads and learn many many things...

one of the main issue I am having with keeping palm inside beside all other matters is " unhappy wife"with many pot inside...any suggestion for this one ?:P

If I would know I should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, I think. :innocent:

• Upvote 2

One way to get at least 6 months of "peace" is to move the palms to the greenhouse or outside during the summer months. At least, that is what I do.

• Upvote 1

Frank

Syagrus weddelliana before & after 28 months:

(1) 6 months old (2013-10-02) in an 8x9cm clay pot with soil mix ca. 60% pine bark (2-8mm) + 30% Seramis® + 10% Kokohum®.

(2) 34 months old (2016-01-31) in a 14.8 x 17.4cm plastic pot with ca. 60% pine bark (2-8mm) + 30% Seramis® + 10% LECA as substrate on the bottom for better drainage.

56ae11b455883_SyagrusweddellianaN1301201

56ae11bc714c3_SyagrusweddellianaN1301201

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...