IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus x fortunei ? (big box store tag ID)

Joe NC

post-13669-0-15078200-1434729608_thumb.j

Saw this label at a big box store. Is this just the result of them not having a clue, or is it possible it is actually a hybrid of some sort. If so, why not list both species in the cross (like fortunei x wagnerianus)? The plants may have had stiffer leaflets than windmills of the same size I have bought in the past, or I may have just wanted to think that. Either way I added one more Trachy to the mix in my yard.

post-13669-0-42641700-1434729706_thumb.j

the "Trachycarpus x fortunei"

You don't see many trachycarpus hybrids so I would say a mislabeling. That definitely looks like a waggie and both species are hardier than 30 on the label :floor:

Commercial tags are almost always wrong or misleading. This is a mistake on their part.

I worked in the garden center at HD for four years and saw things like this all of the time. Mislabeles, wrong hardiness zone, wrong sun exposure, and wrong name. Once they had a Pygmy date palm labeled hardy to -4F lol!

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Thanks.

I didn't think it was a straight waggie, but had some hope that the label was not totally off base. I thought that there was maybe a very slight chance that some commercial grower decided to produce hybrids for some reason or another, and the fronds are much stiffer without the droopy tips compared to the other Fortuneis I have. I like the stiffer look to the leaflets, and hope this trait holds as it grows.

• 5 years later...

I figured I'd update this thread since everybody loves an update.

20201026_114950.thumb.jpg.0138abb4b8c4e4439cb2b6c74a0cdbcf.jpg

Palm has put on some growth since 2015 (and I've learned alot).  Still has reasonably stiff new fronds.  Well at least when compared to some of the floppy Trachys I have in the back yard. Overall I'm pleased with picking this one.

• Like 3

Like Brad said, it's a Trachycarpus [Genus] Fortunei [Species]. Forgivable, I'd say! Not sure its a 'straight' cultivar but heck, who cares, embrace the natural variability!
:) 

lol

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson