IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Winter 2015

tropicbreeze

Daryl, we're over the hump point of winter. Spring is not that far away.

Had some soaking rain over the weekend. I had to dig drainage trenches in my new orchard area, and replant some of the trees much higher as they were swimming. Last night the skies cleared and the temps plummeted. At 8.30pm it was already 5.5C. This morning it bottomed out at 0.1C with a crunch on the lawn. Should be a nice sunny day though.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We've also had a respite from the cold here but I doubt it's going to last. Last half of winter is usually coldest. We had a lot of cloud over night but cleared mid morning to the usual bright sunny day. Not even a hint of rain. Temperature near the front gate was 22.5, at the weather station 22 and back of the garden was 21.5, minimums. Maximum expected to be still around 35. Possibly 2 more months before any sign of rain. Really hoping for an early wet season, and a proper one this time. But it'll get a lot hotter before that.

Queensland hinterland is looking like Florida, as Ray has noted.

I've been thinking of an October visit to New Zealand, but I think travel will be off due to some serious dental problems. So much for austral spring.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

We're looking at getting a bit of a dumping today. The neighbours new dam is millimetres from overflowing down my spillway and into my lake system. It's been a delayed inflow for me as his dam was newly dug and had to fill up from dry first.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Had a beautiful 21.7C day today. It was actually hot sitting in the sun.

Snow to sea level here yesterday - first time in 30 years!

Hope it never happens again...Howeas covered in snow are not a good look.

No damage done, but another cold one forecast for tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

During the antarctic vortex, I was getting days of only 14c, which is bloody cold by our standards. However, it hit 29c here on the weekend. Tonight its going to be 0c. The photos of Hobart covered in snow, even on the beaches was a real shocker. Glad to know you didnt lose anything Jonathan.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Snow to sea level here yesterday - first time in 30 years!

Hope it never happens again...Howeas covered in snow are not a good look.

No damage done, but another cold one forecast for tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jonathan

I agree. Howeas and snow do not go. I hope you never see that again and that your plants are OK.

Well the rain that came over the weekend made the watercourse start for the first time this year and my main lake filled up dramatically and the two upper dams completely filled up. The watercourse was like a very fast stream 1.5m wide for a bit. Now we have more rain falling and about 20mm forecast for tomorrow which should start the main lake to overflowing, fill up the dam in the paddock and make that overflow into Mill Brook. That will give the water a bit of a change. Time to get trout.

This weather is bizarre how it keeps yo-yoing all the time. Yesterday the minimum at the front of my place was 21.5, at the weather station 20 and at the back of the garden 18. Also checked the creek at the back of the place, my lowest point, and it was 20 there. For some reason the cold air is pooling at the back of the garden and not the lowest point.

Today it was 16 out front, 14 at the weather station and 14 at the back of the garden. Down the creek it was 15. Maximums are still in the low to mid 30's.

Looks like we're going to keep getting more of this up and down for a while yet. Cairns this morning was down to around 10. Not good for that close to the coast. Here along the coast the lowest they've managed is around 17, but usually 19 - 20 or more. If you can put up with suburbia that's be the place to be.

Winter is biting hard here at the moment. Wet cold and windy. We had hail the other night and a dust of snow on the Stirlings about 80kms north of me. We're burning up wood like nothing else to keep us warm. The lakes are all full now and a bit more rain and the whole system will start running into Mill Brook. There's standing water everywhere, even though it's one of the driest winters on record. You need wellies to go walking out on the property. Squishy squishy.

ABC reports that a rare daisy is now Western Australia's 10,000th plant species. Congratulations. I've got to come sometime. The airline itineraries are intimidating--routes like Washington DC to Beijing to Perth.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Had a sunny 30.5C day here on Saturday. Totally bizarre. I was in Perth at the time and experienced a 26.4C day there. Since then we've had rain and thunderstorms and warm nights. I've just noticed this morning that the grass is starting to gallop away again. Have to go back to a 14 day mowing cycle again. I was hoping to stay on a 21 day cycle at least until mid Sep. I think it's going to be an early spring and a hot summer.

I was reading yesterday how drought and frost has effected the PNG highlands wiping out crops. I knew it was cooler up in the highlands but I never considered frost. Reportedly potatoes, cabbages, and those sort of crops were all just wiped out almost overnight. They put it down to El Nino conditions kicking in. Meanwhile the Solomon Islands are in the grip of a drought. This next couple of years will be interesting as they are predicting a very strong El Nino followed quickly by a strong La Nina.

First rainfall in many weeks here...only 8mm but better than nothing, and it will green up the lawn...not good enough for the palms though...we are heading into our lovely dry season, so almost time to water,water, water!

Temps have been reasonable and I think the worst of winter is gone...woohoo! Dsily temps are mid to high twenties with nights down to low teens so definitely warming up!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Nice thunderstorm last night...no wind, a few rumbles and 13mm of rain...three or four of these a week would be good!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Next week it's spring. :)

Absolutely no rain the past 3 months, just hot dry windy days. But now the temperatures are edging up with nights not expected below 18 any more, and days getting up to 37. It's been slow coming. If we get an early start to the wet season there could be a storm by about 3 weeks time. But in a run-of-the-mill season there's a good possibility for a storm by 6 weeks time.

Another 8mm of rain the other day...I hope this keeps up for the spring!

I tipped 9mm out of the rain gauge yesterday morning, but that was over a few days I think. I'm not too concerned about rainfall at present because we were lucky enough to get 38mm here a few weeks ago in a heavy but isolated afternoon downpour, so its been pretty wet/moist around here for last two or three weeks.

Had another 8mm last night...seems like it only rains in 8mm increments lately!

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another 8mm in the gauge when I returned home after a few days away...better than nothing, but it would be good to get 50mm or so to really wet the roots