IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Winter 2015

tropicbreeze

Guess we should have been talking winter the last few days.

Yes winter is here with a vengeance. 1 degree here this morning. I'm back in winter uniform, trackies, uggs, and a flannelette nightie over the lot. The dogs all snuggle in with me at night, Dr Watson gets right up as close as he can then puts his arm over me so I cant wriggle away. The plants are doing fine, they are so acclimatised now that it takes a really bad frost to even singe them.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Yep, its definitely cold here in S E Qld at the moment. It was 1 deg here at 6.00am which is our coldest morning this year. According to the BOM, night temps over the next week should be a little warmer - I certainly hope so !

We started winter down my way with a 0.9C min, then after that double digit mins every night since as high as 14C. Days have been 23 to almost 26C yesterday. We've had rain almost every night. I had the fire going a couple of nights and it was too hot. Today looks like being another beautiful mid twenties day before rain comes back tonight. Next week looks a bit drier so night temps will dip into the single digits somewhere. Can't complain really. But winter will definitely smash into us probably in the third or fourth week of June.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We had colder nights in Autumn than what we're getting now. This morning it was 23 at the front, 22 at my weather station, and 21.5 at the back of my garden. When a wind's blowing there's never a big spread of temperatures. When the wind drops then there's a bigger variation. With a couple of months to go there'll be plenty of opportunities for cooler windless nights. The problem now is the dryness of the wind.

This morning it was 23 at the front, 22 at my weather station, and 21.5 at the back of my garden.

Your outside minimums are my indoor temps at night. No homeless person would ever get too cold in Darwin. It's a great outdoors climate up there.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

And Darwin is slightly warmer than my place over night Tyrone. The way May became colder than normal I was feeling pessimistic for the winter months. Although it's still only 2 weeks into the winter, and July is historically our coldest month. So I'll wallow in this while we've got it and hope it never ends. This morning at the front of my place was 24, at the weather station 22 and at the back 21. Still very dry but RH isn't too bad (for a dry season).

I'm averaging 9.1C to 22.6C max so far for June. I've got tomatoes self germinating in the veggie patch. It's a warm start to winter, and still very early days. Next week looks like wet weather arriving in earnest with a strong westerly to north westerly flow for days on end. That will bring rain, cloud, warmish nights and cool days with no chance of frost. We had alternating rain and sunshine yesterday then at night fall the cloud cleared. With such high humidity we had fog at 5.30pm as the dew point was quite high and the temp dropped away.

Zig what do you call cold? Is 21.5 in the morning cold for you?

We've had two nights down to 3C so far this year, last year 4C was the coldest night. Not happy. And you guys would laugh at our highs. 20C yesterday... but only 12C today! This time of year I'm about 20 degrees of latitude too far south.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Tyrone, the weather pattern that's bringing you rain will be lurching us back to strong dry season conditions. They're predicting us to drop down to a minimum of 16 by end of week, then edging up a bit again for a while. Maximums currently around 35 down to 32. No doubt RH will drop significantly. Darwin is expected to get down to 19. Was hoping we would get in under the weather gods radar this year.

Ben, it is all relative, live in the tropics and you anticipate tropical weather. Minimums down to 20 feel coolish, especially if it's only been down to 23/24 for a long period. 15 is quite cold, and 10 is absolutely freezing. But there are people here who love the colder drier weather. I believe they live, work and play in airconditioning. Guess it takes all types.

1 Celsius is a typical winter low for my part of 27N latitude. While cold, it's better than being sub freezing.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

As long as it stays above freezing it's a bargain Ray!

We have had three sub 10C mornings here so far this year...I'm happy with that! Copped another 47mm of rain over the last week...I'm happy with that too!

Hopefully the rest of winter is well behaved!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Pretty good winter "so far", and the next week says 20c days 10c nights, with "Many thanks" to rain and great cloud cover which is far better than crisp clear nights and most of the wind is heading down from Nth which again is better than from the snowing Sth :).

Hows all the rain in FNQ when its "normally" dry in June.

While , Im @ it my brothers are getting great rains on their 12, 000 acres of wheat / sheep farm in WA, hope it keeps ups for them.

Alls good :)

Pete

Where's their farm Pete?

Been down to 1.4C yesterday but averaging 8.6C to 22.5C max. Not enough rain here actually. No clouds, blue skies. Go figure.

Where's their farm Pete?

Been down to 1.4C yesterday but averaging 8.6C to 22.5C max. Not enough rain here actually. No clouds, blue skies. Go figure.

Merredin is the closest "main town" to the Farm Tyrone, are you still enjoying your "new" location or wishing you headed Nth ??

Pete

1 Celsius is a typical winter low for my part of 27N latitude. While cold, it's better than being sub freezing.

Those couple of degrees make all the difference, whether water starts turning to ice.

The weather temperature-wise has been all over the place just recently. The other day minimum got down to 12. This morning was 20 out front, 19.5 out back and 20 at the weather station (in the middle), due to the wind. Still a strong dry wind blowing now. Daytime still sitting around 33 to 35. Six more weeks to be clear of any chance of a cold snap again, and 12 weeks before we can expect any significant rain. At least we're past the shortest day.

The rains are nice and light which helps keep our Dam/ Pond/ Swimming hole/ crystal clear, full and continuously overflowing , the next 7 days again is saying light showers all week, once again, far better than clear crisp cloudless nights, this is "great" weather for June, below ave rainfall but higher night temps, I feel an early Spring this year :)

Pete

post-5709-0-01555400-1435297282_thumb.jp

I'm not sure what is going on but the cool wet weather seemed to start early this year. It hasn't been really cold at night yey but the day time maximum temperature has been slightly cooler. This week the almond blossom has begun whuch is a few weeks early. I'm feeling confused.

The rains are nice and light which helps keep our Dam/ Pond/ Swimming hole/ crystal clear, full and continuously overflowing , the next 7 days again is saying light showers all week, once again, far better than clear crisp cloudless nights, this is "great" weather for June, below ave rainfall but higher night temps, I feel an early Spring this year :)

Pete

Yeah, this is a great winter so far....hope this is the norm for the next couple of decades!

Still having warm minimums here, and even though the days are showery they are still warm with sunny breaks...only 9mm of drizzly showers at home this week, but better than nothing!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Not a cloud in the sky and the coldest min so far this year this morning. 0.4C and light frost on the lawn. We need rain though. It hasn't rained since Monday. We're way behind.

It should get into the 20's today.

Pete

Yeah, this is a great winter so far....hope this is the norm for the next couple of decades!

Still having warm minimums here, and even though the days are showery they are still warm with sunny breaks...only 9mm of drizzly showers at home this week, but better than nothing!

Even "your" Condapanna ( in a 10" pot ) is enjoying the wet and has lifted its game and just opened a new large healthy frond. :) We've had near 2" of light rain over the last 7 days. Pete

post-5709-0-07149500-1435373969_thumb.jp

I hope the large highs that seem to be forming one after the other over southern Australia and the Bight give it a break soon. If they don't, this is going to be one dry and cold winter, but with nice warm sunny days. We need a few big slow moving cut off lows to move into the area to get our rainfall back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Where's their farm Pete?

Merredin is the closest "main town" to the Farm Tyrone, are you still enjoying your "new" location or wishing you headed Nth ??

Pete

Just noticed your reply Pete. Merredin. It's dry and hot out there in summer. Miles from me. My new location has it's own charm. If my decision was based on a suitable climate for what I like doing I'd have moved to Mackay. Family commitments brought me down here. That being said I have copious water and really good soil here. I'm pushing the boundaries that's for sure. But I'm also embracing the new opportunities to grow our own food. I've just planted up a stone fruit orchard complete with cherries, plums, peaches, apricots and also apples. The olive wind/frost break will eventually produce. Still got to put the grapes in. The giant bamboo hedges have taken off and they are already starting to create protected pockets for palms. This spring I'll go on a planting rampage of canopy trees, palms, ferns, bamboos etc.

Winter has started in earnest today. It's been raining since yesterday. The wind is coming from the south and there's been the spot of small hail in the storm fronts. But with rain there is no frost.

Still as dry as here. But temps haven't been too bad, for a dry season. Did get down to 13. This morning 5AM was 21 out front, 20 at the weather station (mine) and 18 down the back. Couldn't check it later but the BOM site showed it was trending warmer from 5AM onwards. Next week they say it'll nose dive again. Will be from that stuff you're getting now, Tyrone, minus the rain.

I'm kinda laughing at the media reports about the comming blast of cold weather. Not because of the expected maximums but the lows there is no frost just rain, hail and a chance of snow at the highest elevations.

SE QLD is meant to be getting some cold temps soon from a cold antarctic blast. They're talking about snow in the high altitudes near Stanthorpe etc

We've had about 27mm or light rain since my last post, so not much really, although it is all welcome! The night temps are up and down depending on cloud cover, but we had a few 8C minimums last week, so more like a real winter...July never fails to deliver... :bummed:

We are supposed to get the 'Antarctic' event this weekend..so far it hasn't hit, and it is still 22C and sunny/humid here...I wonder how long it will last until I have to put on more than shorts and a t-shirt?

Hopefully it will peter out quickly when it does come...

Daryl

We recorded our first frost for the year this morning. I was a little surprised too, because Warwick, Kingaroy and Amberley were well above zero with minimum temps around 4C - 5C. Anyway, it looks and feels like another cold one tonight.

2njeiz9.jpg

1.5 c this morning and colder again tomorrow , I thought I lived in tropical nth qld , might have to move further north .

We recorded our first frost for the year this morning. I was a little surprised too, because Warwick, Kingaroy and Amberley were well above zero with minimum temps around 4C - 5C. Anyway, it looks and feels like another cold one tonight.

2njeiz9.jpg

Steve, these cold temps are weird...driving up to Brisbane, the difference in some areas is quite remarkable. However, one morning the areas that were coldest the previous day were warmer that the warmer areas, if that makes sense? It's hit and miss temp wise, We got down to 5C yesterday morning, but 8C this morning. Tonight feels cold, and it is already down to 10C here at 7:00pm, so will be chilly I expect. Hope the cold temps didn't hit your palms too hard!

Daryl

Frost formation is not unheard of at temps as high as 3-4C. Most of the time however, it does not form on the plants if above 1.5-2C.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Daryl,

Luckily I gave my palms the ENVY treatment on Monday afternoon, as I had a feeling that Tuesday/Wednesday morning would be rather chilly. Had another frost again last night. It was a little more severe than the previous nights frost too.

zl3yiw.jpg

Brrr! No frost here Steve, and I hope it stays away. I have only seen the car roof ice up twice in 20 years at this place. However, it was down to 4C this morning...about 10C too cold for my liking!

Daryl

This Winter "so far" has been very mild imo , our lower neighbours by the creek haven't even had a frost yet, the days are stunning thanks to winds from the Nth. , Sth winds are a different ball game, which is coming in on Sat arvo. Glad we "Don't" get frost here.

Esch Valleys here are different with wind direction, amount of sun hrs , elevation, undulation, blah, blah :)

Pete

Coldest morning of the year this morning. 0.1C

The exposed areas of lawn have a light dusting of white as the sun comes up. Under canopy, though it is cold there is no ice. Should be a beautiful cloud free day today with a big powerful high parked over us.

Creating enough canopy will be my saviour here I think.

You don't often hear this.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/queenslands-best-snowfall-in-three-decades-thrills-granite-belt-growers/330685

It looks like by mid next week those high pressure cells will clear the Australian region for a bit. It's blue skies this morning but the first in a number of fronts will come through today which will boost rainfall (we desperately need it) and raise minimums again reducing any chance of frost while the fronts are around.

It was cold here again this morning, although I think its probably the end of frosts for the year. We rarely get frosts in August and the weather will be getting warmer over the next week according to the BOM.

That's my Sabal Mauritiiformis in the background, its always unaffected by frost.

33wqk1s.jpg

We're still waiting for the rain. By contrast with the cold mornings we had a 11.3C min this morning and a 22.8C max today with blue skies. But it's so dry I was considering watering my nursery area. Supposedly rain is coming thru tomorrow morning.

After our brief cold spell last week, it has thankfully warmed up again here. We had 2 minimums down to 4C..hopefully that is all for this winter...

It has been rainy over the last few days and that has kept our temps up...41mm in the last 3 days will do the garden some good!

Going for 25C today which is very spring-like! you can only hope!

Daryl