IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alcantarea starting to flower

Really full garden

This is one of my smallest Alcantareas so I was surprised to see this today.I am both excited and saddened by this event.

I know my resident charm of hummingbirds will be very excited.

post-175-0-28203100-1431987844_thumb.jpg

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

This is one of my smallest Alcantareas so I was surprised to see this today.I am both excited and saddened by this event.

attachicon.gifIMG_0563.jpg

Post some pics of all your others pls Scott, Alcantarea's are great Giant broms eh :)

Pete

Saddened? Is this one of the semelparous varieties?

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Saddened? Is this one of the semelparous varieties?

Yes it is semelparous. They produce grass pups during their early maturity and many years later produce a spectacular bloom.

Then die.

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

attachicon.gifIMG_0563.jpg

Post some pics of all your others pls Scott, Alcantarea's are great Giant broms eh :)

Pete

post-175-0-36817100-1432068876_thumb.jpgAlcantarea imperialis green

post-175-0-41999800-1432069013_thumb.jpg Alcantarea odorata

post-175-0-41999800-1432069013_thumb.jpg I need a "few" odorata's here Scott, dont know why I havnt any ? I get into broms more than palms in autumn/winter :) Pete

Odorata is also a gorgeous Brom. I have a bunch of small to large imperialis but no Odoratas yet

Two of my Alcantarea odoratas flowered last year. They both left healthy pups. Two others have gotten bigger than those ever did.

My two big Alcantarea imperialis have been around more than a decade, huge, but not showing signs of flowering. They got so big, I had to build a retaining wall for one after its pot had fallen over and broke (I glued it back together to display some smaller plants), and ringed the other's pot with a retaining wall to keep everything in place.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

If available, avail yourself of Tillandsia rauhii and T. australis to go with your Alcantereas. Two hugely under-utilized plants IMHO.

Here is my odorata :) among others. I find the North American version of odorata (such as yours, Scott) far more attractive than the ones I've seen here in Australia.

post-13609-0-91944800-1432540560_thumb.j

Here is my odorata :) among others. I find the North American version of odorata (such as yours, Scott) far more attractive than the ones I've seen here in Australia.

Riddler, yours looks more Glaziouana than Odorata.

Perhaps Pete, it definitely doesn't look like the odorata's I've seen online, it was an impulse buy from a Brom show. This was the first time I'd seen odorata available, it was labelled as Alcantarea odorata 'Silver Bah'.

Perhaps Pete, it definitely doesn't look like the odorata's I've seen online, it was an impulse buy from a Brom show. This was the first time I'd seen odorata available, it was labelled as Alcantarea odorata 'Silver Bah'.

Steven, since your in Brisbane try the Olive branch bromeliad nursery, I think still pretty rare and pricey in Oz.

Good idea, I purchased the Neo 'Jaline' in the photo from them and I'm pretty sure they are having a sale day in June, I'll have to try and pick one up then :)

Steven, since your in Brisbane try the Olive branch bromeliad nursery, I think still pretty rare and pricey in Oz.

Yes ,I think they are expensive everywhere.The pups take forever to grow.

The next one I want is Alcantarea'Merlot' (imperialis x vinicolor).Has really nice burgundy colored foliage.

The next one I want is Alcantarea'Merlot' (imperialis x vinicolor).Has really nice burgundy colored foliage.

Scott, "Merlot" is stunning eh, maybe I will have to fly over and work for Karolyn for a few days for some seed ?? :) Pete

Scott, "Merlot" is stunning eh, maybe I will have to fly over and work for Karolyn for a few days for some seed ?? :) Pete

There is a nursery in Florida that has pups for $40.Not really so much when you consider how slow they are from seed.

There is a nursery in Florida that has pups for $40.Not really so much when you consider how slow they are from seed.

Are you allowed plants flown into Guatemala ? I will get some off a Brom breeder in spring not far from here , he would "have" to have them

Pete ,getting plants into Guatemala is a long tedious process. A $40 bromeliad can easily end up costing $200.

Scott, if you like the look of these Australian Hybrid Alcantareas,( Silver Plum) give em an Email and ask for some seed, we have them growing here ( pic 4873 which is still a baby) Pete

dillingsbromeliads.com.au

post-5709-0-78619000-1432620029_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-31488700-1432620032_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-72404300-1432620505_thumb.jp

Scott, if you like the look of these Australian Hybrid Alcantareas,( Silver Plum) give em an Email and ask for some seed, we have them growing here ( pic 4873 which is still a baby) Pete

Those are spectacular! I have never grown Alcantareas from seed.The grass pups take years to look like anything.How many years from seed?

Those are spectacular! I have never grown Alcantareas from seed.The grass pups take years to look like anything.How many years from seed?

Scott, ours where tiny in 4" pots 3 yrs ago , maybe being a hybrid they are much faster, Im not sure how old they where in 4" pots, thats a good Q to ask Dillings when you ask for seed :) , and Scott even in a 4" pot they had 6" long X 3" wide leaves. I assume they are very fast germinators as these are available in the "many" 1000s in "all" sizes here in the land of Oz :) Pete

• 1 month later...

Here is what's sold as odorata here in Brisbane, Australia (visited a large nursery today)

post-13609-0-09663300-1435831480_thumb.j

Compared to a plant at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, which i believe has much more pleasing form and colour.

post-13609-0-88200100-1435831495_thumb.j

Are they variations of the same species or is the Aussie version not odorata?

Here is what's sold as odorata here in Brisbane, Australia (visited a large nursery today)

attachicon.gifphoto 3 smaller.jpg

Compared to a plant at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, which i believe has much more pleasing form and colour.

attachicon.gifbromeliad-alcantarea-odorata_medium.jpg

Definitely "not" odorata :bummed: Pete

thanks Pete, I've seen these non odorata's in Bunnings too, i guess someone made a mistake at some point and it stuck. :beat_deadhorse:

I don't think its just an Aussie problem. I've seen the same thing at a few nurseries in S Florida only they want $30-$50 for them. If I'm going to be paying that much it better be the real thing!

I don't think its just an Aussie problem. I've seen the same thing at a few nurseries in S Florida only they want $30-$50 for them. If I'm going to be paying that much it better be the real thing!

Rick, if you have a "good eye" you will know if its the "real" thing, and Florida is "the state" in the USA if your into Broms thats for sure.

Pete

Very true. After seeing the "real" thing there is no mistaking it for the fake one. Still a rare brom even for Florida.

This is where many grow on the mountains for Southeast Brazil. It is a beautiful sight when they are in bloom They are pretty hard to get close to though,

112681248.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

This is where many grow on the mountains for Southeast Brazil. It is a beautiful sight when they are in bloom They are pretty hard to get close to though,

112681248.jpg

Amazing photo,looks like they are growing on solid granite.