IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arenga Micrantha

steve 9atx

All

I was clearing out the palm grass (Curculigo capitulata) from around a small (6' tall) Arenga micrantha over the weekend and noticed three little suckers coming off of the base.  Is this supposed to be a suckering palm?  I hope they sold me the right Arenga.  I suppose suckers are good if you fall in love with a monocarpic palm; but, I'm not in love with this one yet.  Especially if it turns out to be the large and spiny Arenga pinnata which won't fit where I've planted it.

Anyone know this palm?  Am I a sucker?

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

This palm is a clumper. It looks great once it gets older. Similair to the englire. There are no spines. I love mine. Its about 4 feet tall, and I see 1 sucker in a 5 gallon pot. (gotta stick it in the ground when it gets warmer) From what I know, this palm doesnt have as many as others. I say 15-20 feet max.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Steve,

Consider yourslef lucky if you have an Arenga micrantha 6' tall. I have two growing here in N. Calif. and they are the slowest growing palms in my garden. They are 5 gal size and only grow about 1 frond a year so far. Mine are growing in part shade (50%) and one was damaged in our recent freezes at 23F and the other untouched.  I also have a small Arenga elengri and it was undamaged by the freezes, but it's slow too, one or two fronds a year. The Arengas bleach in my hot, dry, summer sun, the reason for part shade.

The only photograph I've seen of A. micrantha was in habitat and it was taken in the rain and not a very good shot.  Does anyone have a nice picture of one in clutivation? (with suckers)?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Definitely a clumper.  Once it gets going, it can become quite profuse for an Arenga.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Dick

Here's my A. micrantha.  It's probably been in the ground for three years from a strap-leafed 16" tall.  I measure 6'-9" to the top.  Oddly enough the tallest frond is not the latest.  The latest opened a few weeks ago and is the yellowish frond to the right.  This palm seems to continue to add length to its petioles long after a frond opens.  I bet the tallest frond added 18"-24" to its length after opening.  The house in the background is my neighbor; so, the palm is shaded by his house in the a.m. and mine in the p.m. - it probably gets six hours of midday sun in the summer, four or five in the winter.  I guess it gives me 1 1/2-2 fronds per year.  With the lengthening petioles, however, it always seems to be getting taller.

Steve

post-193-1175017501_thumb.jpg

Here's sucker "A" on the west side.

post-193-1175017547_thumb.jpg

Here're suckers "B" and "C" on the east side.

post-193-1175017581_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Mine is now about 10 feet tall with seven suckers. It's going to be a monster. Would have been maybe thigh high when this thread was started.

We have a couple 7-8ft tall now. They do sucker but sparsely, not a thick clumper like A. engleri or A. tremula.

They grow slow at first then speed up a bit when they get a few feet tall. Here is one in 2006

7cbc.jpg

and now

img_4731.jpg

nice silvery undersides on the leaf

img_2017.jpg

our other big one;

img_4732.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a