IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Peter Timmermans

After a mild winter my 7 deciduous Magnolia's and snake's head fritillaries are in full bloom. My Waggy's and Trachy's started to drop their blue seeds and new flowerstalks are on their way. Palms and Magnolia's make a perfect match in spring.

post-9583-0-52582800-1429646179_thumb.jp

post-9583-0-87070700-1429646183_thumb.jp

post-9583-0-78782300-1429646187_thumb.jp

post-9583-0-05669800-1429646190_thumb.jp

post-9583-0-51782100-1429646193_thumb.jp

post-9583-0-87190700-1429646196_thumb.jp

post-9583-0-40030800-1429646199_thumb.jp

post-9583-0-09066200-1429646202_thumb.jp

post-9583-0-38705200-1429646205_thumb.jp

post-9583-0-31937000-1429646208_thumb.jp

I love the spring Magnolia bloom. The deciduous varieties can be tricky to get established where I live but they are fantastic looking mixed with Trachycarpus

Yes to dry. Sudden dry heat during spring can catch the gardener out new emerging growth can be damaged. Once established they are tougher but do better at higher elivations. There was a fantastic pink magnolia growing in my parents neighbours back yard it was at least 27 years old only about 4.5 meters tall always looked good. That magnolia was cut down a week and a half ago as the new owners want to park cars there. It was the last tree left from the original onwers woodland garden.

The evergreen Magnolias have done much better for me.

What a lovely garden. Once again I say, you dont need an equatorial address to have healthy palms and gorgeous surroundings. Well done.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

That looks to be a nice sized lot you have in The Netherlands. Still tons of room to plant :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

So lovely! Fine photos, as always.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Stunning shots!

Love this period as well with blooming prunus and magnolia everywhere, however I do not grow a deciduous Magnolia in the garden here, well not anymore. Main reason is they are quite boring the rest of the year, specially if you had the weather like the last few days. That kind of weather with wind gusts up to 100 kph I do see more often in spring then for example the east of our little country. Okay, i have to say it is a nice display all the colors on the streets next too all the branches that broke off but all the prunus/magnolia trees are bare green again. Decided a few years ago too enjoy other people their trees but choose if needed different ones for the garden.

I do grow Magnolia grandiflora though, but this one did not bloomed so far. Specially the last few years some more interesting ones are introduced and the harder to get species are now easier to get.

Southwest

Very nice garden

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 2 weeks later...

Also nice Fritillaria meleagris there. Thats one of the few native Dutch bulb species. Thatt pink Magnolia is very nice! Its not the common M. x soulangeana it seems.

Alexander