IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I P S  Biennial in the Dom. Republic

Jeff Searle

Hello to all.......

I thought I would like to help out in some way, by getting people that have not registered yet and are still trying to make up their minds about coming.

This gathering of palm enthusiast, palm lovers, collectors, world travelers and just plain people like ourselves that can't live without them, will be coming together soon.

If this is going to be your first biennial, great,you can expect to have a good time. If you have come to these before, well, you know what to expect. PALMS,PALMS,and more PALMS.

My wife Andrea and I are coming and I'd like to hear from some of you that are also coming.

Where do you live ?

Is this your first biennial ,second, or tenth maybe?

Maybe you have a question and someone out there can jump in to help, convince you to come.

One of the most enjoyable things, is that you meet interesting people from all over the world. You make new friends, and then see some of them at the next biennial. And of course, sharing with others about what palm species you can grow back home and what you can't .

So, if your coming, let us know ! If your considering, let us know also.What are your thoughts, and what dooo you think ??

And finally, share any good memories that you might have from any previous biennials. We would all like to hear them...

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, Faith and I are going,The Pralls for sure,Rob Branch and Kate from NO.Oh, we just got a call from Ron Keffer(sp.?) Hes'going! Jeff, save a few unseen photos for the Aug.meeting.Faith and I are driving down for the Show.

• Upvote 1

Old Miakka, Florida

23 miles inland from Sarasota Bay

Zone 9b

middle of a swamp in SW Central FL

hi my name is oscar

I live in Baja Mexico and will be attending the biennial. This will be my first on and I look forward to meeting lots of Palm Freaks, seeing lots of palms in habitat and of course talking palms. It should br fun to place some faces with the names that I have seen on this board.

Take care and hope to see/meet alot of you in the Dominican Republic.

Any one else going on the post trip with Leonel Mera? That side trip really fascinates me and I look forward to it.

See you in the carribean

Hey Faith & John,

I would only expect to hear from you both.  You two are well traveled,have been members for many years, and bring lots of humor to the group.

Your company is always welcome. Just how many biennials have you both attended over the years?

It's also nice to hear the Pralls are coming too. See you all in the DR.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Jeff

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the biennial as I have a commitment that week.  However, I am trying to swing the post tour trip to Cuba.  I encourage those who can make it to the DR to do so.  When  I visited a couple of years ago Leonel Mera was already planning the biennial.  I know that he has put in an incredible amount of work in order to make it a success.

Here are a couple of photos I took from the last trip

Coccothrinax spissa population

Coccothrinaxspissapopulation.jpg

Coccothrinax boschiana population

Cboschiana.jpg

If anyone is interested in seeing more photos I will look on an older computer for the files.

The trip to the see the C. boschiana was quite interesting.  Not exactly hospitable, but was one of the highlights of the trip

Robert

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Here is a photo of Attalea crassispatha, one of the more impressive palms at the Jadin Botanico.  It will be interesting to see how this monster has grown in the past two years.

Attalea crassispatha

Attalea.jpg

One of the picturesque views from the cliff where C. boschiana is located

Viewfromthecliffs.jpg

• Like 1

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Anyone hopping over to Cuba while down there?  I will be in Havana, legallyh, on a mission trip form 10/27-11/05.

Thanks,  Jeff

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

Jeff, Jim & Judy Glock from Ft. Myers/Florida Keys will be attending our third biennial.  We are looking forward to seeing many friends from past biennials.

• Upvote 1

I will be attending the biennial for the first time and the vice president of our local chapter will be joining me. I had a conflict with the last biennial and made plans early so I won't miss this one. When and where is 2008? I need to get it on my schedule!

Kathryn

Jeff,

A reminder never hurts.... Actually I'll be sending in my registration within the next few days. Still waiting for my wife to decide whether she's joining me, or going on another trip in Oct (with a different organization).

Kathryn,

2008 will be in Costa Rica, and it's tentatively scheduled for April 2008. Presumably to be firmed up on the board meeting in DR (the day before the Biennial begins, so I'm sure an announcement will be made).

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I'll be there. Gives me a chance to say hello to some of the old Florida hands again.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Glad to see some positive feedback!

To Oscar & Katheryn; Good to hear your coming, and first timers,I'm sure your looking forward to it.

Trinidad Bob,  sorry you can't make it, but thanks for the tease with those awsome pictures.

Jim and Judy, knowing how you like to party, we will have to have a toast of some good DR rum when we get together in the hotel.

Bo, lets go, I'm counting on you to come through(and talk that wife into coming) !

Mike, glad your coming,if we could only convince Jeff M. to come.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice photos Bob and all from places we will be going to!

Thought y'all might be interested in some demographics of who all is coming.  

40% of attendees are from outside the USA.

Countries represented will be:

England

Spain

Germany

Switzerland

Portugal

Australia

New Zealand

New Caledonia

India

Chili

Peru

Uruguay

Dominican Republic

Mexico

South Africa

Staes represented are:

Florida

California

Hawaii

Colorado

Texas

Louisiana

New York

Arizona

So where else could you ever find such a large bunch of palm nuts gathered from all over the world?  One of the best things about biennials is meeting people and establishing friendships that last a life time.  What better chance to learn about palms than from people who have them growing native in their countries or have worked with them under different conditions elsewhere in the world.  

It is not to late to register!  

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Maxwell has not signed up.  I have not seen him in years.  It would be great to see hime attend!

Florida and California always have the most attendees.  It usually is nearly the same number from each state, but this year Florida shows 31 and California only 19.  

Wazzup California?  Too hot in the Caribbean for ya?  :cool:

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

I will be there, as usual.  I realized in remembering back on these wonderful events that I have missed only two Biennials since joining the IPS as a relative youngster in 1973!  The repeat attendees rapidly become a wonderful international circle of friends whom I look forward to seeing as much as seeing the palms and the countries where they reside.  IPS Biennials are certainly the most underrated value there is in international vacationing!

Garrin Fullington, Hawai'i

Two more just registered to attend, my wife Silvia and I.  Thought I'd better do it immediately as I noticed on the American Airlines return flights to Kona via Los Angeles, it was already booked solid from LA to Kona for that whole week, so we are having to return via Honolulu, then on to Kona.  Probably due to the Ironman Triathlon Event in Kona during that time.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Weeelllllll ........................... manana is August 1 .......................... it is getting down to the wire now.  If you are planning on attending, you have only 2 weeks left.  August 15 is the absolute deadline.  If you have been putting it off til the last minute, this is it!

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

I signed up last week, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of the people from this board in person.  This will be my first biennial...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

My wife, Karolyn, and I just registered. We're looking forward to meeting a lot of friends from previous Biennials, as well as making a lot of new friends! As Garrin mentioned above, an IPS Biennial is great from a palm as well as social point of view, 50-50 as far as I'm concerned (and if you went to France in 2002, I guess it was more like 80-20 social vs. palms, but that was OK!!). And out of the last 4 responses (excluding Paul's, but counting mine), THREE are from the Big Island. Interesting trend.... :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

For all you procrastinators out there, Leonel sent me some photos of the new site he found of Copernicia berteroana.  We will be going there on the biennial.

pablo

post-19-1154550281_thumb.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Here is another photo of the same Copernicia berteroana habitat.

pablo

post-19-1154550330_thumb.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Leonel sent me some photos of the Pseudophoenix vinifera area we will be seeing as well.

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Hmmmm ....................... forgot to actually insert the photo .............................

post-19-1154550604_thumb.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

One more photo of Pseudophoenix vinifera.

Any of you out there that have signed up and not emailed your flight information to me, please do so.  Yes, I mean you Jeff! :;):  and the anyone else out there.

Thanks

pablo

post-19-1154550741_thumb.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Pablo,

In your estimation, how old are those plants?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

To ;Jack

BO

Good to hear that you all are coming.

Paul......thanks for posting these pictures. I now have my clippers sharpened and 3 boxes of zip-loc baggies set next to my suitcase. :cool:

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ray,

I imagine you mean the P. vinifera, I imagine they are about ......................... a whole lotta years old.  I have no idea, but would hazard a guess of 75 years.

Jeff,

You may have to arm wrestle a few others for any seed! :cool:

Pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Paul,

Thanks again for the great pictures. Somebody asked me the other day,and I was wondering myself, is there much in the way of wood carvings or other souvenirs to buy? I would imagine they would be pretty cheap and where"s the best buys? Outside the capital?

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hey Jeff,

There are lots of souvenirs, being it is a tourist destination.  The best ones are found in small towns or at roadside stands - where you can find things that have not been mass produced.  Wood carving is definitely one of the major kinds of souvenirs to be found.  I got a carved wooden wall hanging that was unique when there one time.  Like anywhere else you have to look around to find the truly unique DR things.

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL