IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Chipper/Mulcher for Fronds and Nuts

jayelstrom

Hi all,

I work for a nonprofit organization that works in the islands of Micronesia to improve overall health (there is a lot of type 2 diabetes) and find solutions to reduce waste with an increasing population. One of the ways we have been doing this is through gardening; we have several gardens on island which work in concert with our healthy food demonstration kitchens (we harvest produce, reduce dependence on packaged and processed foods, and leftovers are composted).

The main island where we work is a coral atoll and various palms are in great abundance. Most people gather up fallen fronds and coconuts in piles and burn them, but we would like to utilize both fronds and palms in our gardens and the increasing number of private and community gardens throughout the island, especially on an island that has sandy, nutrient-poor soil. I have researched quite a few mulchers/chippers (Vermeer and Altec seem to be frontrunners?), but there are a lot of differing opinions, and before we make an investment, I'd like to get a few more opinions!

We would need something that can handle a lot of material (again, mostly fronds and nuts as there is not much of other types of vegetation), be durable in a tropical and salty environment (on a flat island with little protection on either side, there is a lot of salt spray), and have easily obtainable and replaceable parts. Something semi-transportable would be a plus. I think that our budget would be at $75k max.

Another related question is, is it better to shred fronds while wet or dry? I've seen so many differing opinions on this as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have!

In my book, there are 3 brand choices: Bandit, Bandit and Bandit <http://www.banditchippers.com/>

(I have no financial interest in the company)

Quality, company support and availability of parts.

I recently bought a used Bandit 95xp (2002 with 650 hours on it) and from the serial number, the company was able to give me a copy of the original build sheet for the unit, and put together an operational and service manual specific for the unit and its parts (e.g engines can be gas or diesel, different horsepower, and come from various sources Caterpillar, Ford, John Deer, etc.).

The size, nature and volume of the material for which you intend to use the chipper calls for a commercial grade chipper and your budget is alright for that (depending on shipping costs). Commercial chippers come in disc and drum models. Disc models are made with the disc mounted at either a 90o or 45o angle to the feed. If you get a disc chipper for palm fronds, do NOT get one with 45o orientation. Disc have a tendency to bind with palm frond fibers, so a drum style likely would be best for your use.

The 95xp that we bought has a 9 inch diameter feed with a disc - the disc is 90o to the feed and is specially mounted close to the feed to minimize fiber tangling. You likely will want a larger diameter feed and likely have to go a larger diameter feed to get a good drum chipper.

If you look at used chippers, go for low hours of operation, and in the USA folks prefer units that have been owned by a municipal agency as they generally get the recommended service at the recommended intervals.

Green fronds are easier to cut/chip than dry fronds, but my guess is that the bulk if not all of what you are going to have to work with will be dry fronds already fallen from the trees, so plan accordingly.

Bandit lists a dealership in French Polynesia.

For used equipment, California Tree Equipment <http://treeequipment.typepad.com/photos/tree_equipment/> usually has a variety of products available, overhaulings and will repaint, and is experienced in shipping.

Hope something here is helpful - gmp

Thanks so much! This was very helpful, especially the tips on angles and discs vs. drums. I also appreciate the links to dealerships, I will definitely look into those. Again, thank you!

Good advice from the good Doctor.

I would center my search for the companies that you could service the machines easily. I would think your location would limit that pretty well.

On a different note, as good as compost is, I would advise you to not put all your eggs into a "compost" basket. Since much of the waste is already being burned, use that for your potasium fertilizer(as long as you did not use a petroleum accelerant). Also, look into creating charcoal with your waste. Charcoal can vastly improve sandy soil plus it is stable and does not dissipate like compost will.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Yeah, servicing is definitely an issue - our home office is in California, and we send out shipments and staff to the islands fairly regularly, but not on any kind of set schedule.

That's a great idea that I'd never thought of before! I'll definitely look into that, though I assume we'd probably have to ensure that the organic waste is separated from plastics, as it all tends to go in the same pile. Thanks for the suggestion.