IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarckia in N Florida

tank

My wife is driving to a concert in Tampa in two weeks so I'm forcing her to stop by a nursery nearby to pick up a Bismarck for me. But if that doesn't work out, ill see if home depot can pick one up for me.

That Charlie guy use to come buy sabals, sabal logs, and fronds for Tiki huts over here. I here he does great work with a chain saw and is quite a character.

I imagine Tampa is your best bet for bizzys.

Hey Straight6TT --

Your wife will be passing a number of Home Depots which are almost right on I-75 and I-10, so she will be passing by several unavoidably. About half of those HDs will have the $45 or $50 size of Bismarckia, which I think is a 15 gallon pot. I just saw them at the Ocala Home Depot which is literally right on I-75. HD staff will help her get it in the car and it will definitely fit.

In other words, just google all of the HDs which are at an I-10 and I-75 exit. That might be more of a "no brainer" than going to the local nurseries in Tampa.

I saw my first California Bismarkia a few days ago in San Diego. Why isn't it planted more in Ca? All I see is queens and Kings with their Wasgintonia friends.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

ArchAngel- Not enough heat, perhaps? I'm interested to know as well, as I thought this would be a near perfect climate for them. I know they like heat though and lots of it.

That is surprising because I keep reading about Bismarckia being grown in the Phoenix, Arizona region. If they can tolerate Phoenix weather, why couldn't they tolerate coastal Southern California weather?

Perhaps it's just not used in commercial landscapes? The only one I saw was in a private yard.

Perhaps it simply has to do with commercial availability region by region.

Funny - perhaps in California, the big box stores like HD don't stock Bismarckia like they do in Florida. Instead, you have king palms at California HD, which would never happen here in Florida.

Why would there never be Kings in Florida? I would have thought they'd do well in your damp and humidity.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

The box stores around here had Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and alexandrae a few years ago. I had never seen them sold then they showed up and they carried them for about 2-3 years now they have disappeared.

Back in the early 1980s before the big box stores appeared, places like Kmart, Montgomery Wards, Woolco, etc. all had garden centers and Archontophoenix was occasionally sold. Then the first of the 3 big 80s freezes hit in 12/83 and no one carried them after that.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I'm planting my bismarckia in a wet 9a. I'm going to protect it for the first few winters but can you guys give me some planting tips to help it's growth long-term. Maybe mounding or tips for ultra fast draining soil or something of the like. This is in a shot where it will see sun all day every day.

I usually plant my palms with a mixture of native soil, cactus palm mix from hd, and hummus. I should state that while most of my soil is sandy this garden spot doesn't seem to have much sand at all and seems more clay like

No need to amend the soil much, unless it is really solid clay....like north/inland. Or if you have white clay....really bad. But if your in Gulfport, I'm surprised you don't have mainly sand (even in slightly clay area....is the clay from your house pad?

Anyways, try situating it on the south side of your house so the north/northwest winds get blocked. I know of at least 7 Bismarkia that survived the Polar Vortex 2 winters ago. That is saying something.....the majority of queens and roebelinis didn't even survive those 2 events.

Don't disturb rootball at all....cut the pot if necessary (without cutting roots). Dig just enough to slide the rootball in with no air pockets on bottom or sides. Water it in good....avoid watering the crown. Sit back and watch how fast it grows!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely be taking your advice on everything except where it's going. Unfortunately for me my fan palm garden is on the north side of my house. There really isn't anywhere to put it on the south side but I'm crossing my fingers it does well. I love bismarckia.

There used to be a nursery along I-75 near Ocala that had planted some Bismarckia and Phoenix sylvestris by their sign. This was maybe 6-8 years ago. Last time I saw them they looked very rough. Are they still there ?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The box stores around here had Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and alexandrae a few years ago. I had never seen them sold then they showed up and they carried them for about 2-3 years now they have disappeared.

Back in the early 1980s before the big box stores appeared, places like Kmart, Montgomery Wards, Woolco, etc. all had garden centers and Archontophoenix was occasionally sold. Then the first of the 3 big 80s freezes hit in 12/83 and no one carried them after that.

and to think, now we have large royals, Archontophoenix, queen palms, Phoenix roebellenii, etc in the metro area. In the back of my mind, I see queen palms as bulletproof here, even though most were killed outright here just over 25 years ago. My how times have changed (and they may change back at some point, modified to a significant degree by urbanization).

I have also occasionally seen king palms at local big box stores, though come to think of it, not lately. Speaking of king palms, I just paid $43 shipped for a 3 gallon online to fill (someday) a truly gigantic empty terra cotta pot my parents bought me for Christmas 20 years ago so I could have a 12 foot Adonidia in the living room. That was the beginning of my palm obsession. I chose the king palm for the large pot since I wanted a tropical looking palm that can withstand our winters with chilly roots in a large pot (as opposed to being relatively insulated in the ground).

It seems that there are fewer online palm dealers with a large selection than there were 8-10 years ago. I need to just place a large order with Floribunda, and get all the palms for the yard at the same time.

Sweet, thanks, 15 gallon is the size I was looking for.

I agree, 15 gal. is the right size to start off with...unless you want to wait for the seedling growth rate. Below is mine planted out in June of 2012 and was a 15 gal. and a photo of what it looks like today. I was told the root system is sensitive and to not even drop it in the hole or off the back of the truck.

post-7580-0-04329400-1428619063_thumb.jppost-7580-0-35659600-1428619090_thumb.jp

Wow! Truly remarkable. That bizzie has been busy growing.

There used to be a nursery along I-75 near Ocala that had planted some Bismarckia and Phoenix sylvestris by their sign. This was maybe 6-8 years ago. Last time I saw them they looked very rough. Are they still there ?

Still there but rough looking.

Im not sure anyone cares for the plants anymore, I have no idea if that nursery is still in business but for some reason I think no.

Edited by krishnaraoji88

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I usually plant my palms with a mixture of native soil, cactus palm mix from hd, and hummus. I should state that while most of my soil is sandy this garden spot doesn't seem to have much sand at all and seems more clay like

It's tasty stuff, but I don't think it does much for your plants. As for the cactus mix, I think it contains a lot of bark and perlite. I'm far from an expert. What is the best practice as far as adding organic matter when planting? I usually don't add any, on the assumption that it will eventually break down, causing the plant to subside. I just topdress with compost often.

post-841-0-78841900-1428664940_thumb.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 2 weeks later...

This is wayne from lets grow nursery in lutz florida wrapping up my bismarckia for its trip back to mississippi tomorrow. I know these are very fragile around the roots but its going to have to make the trip back 8 hours in the back of an suv laying down. Any precautions my wife should take or should we just cross our fingers and pray :crying:

post-13098-0-42913300-1429388817_thumb.j

If it stays in pot until your destination. ...it will be fine.....yay! ... congrats on the bizzy!

Brian,

I'm sure the palm will do fine on the ride home...Wayne has nice quality material...you should see his L. saribus :winkie:

You better give your wife a big hug and kiss when she gets home!

best wishes,

John

I'll go back to the topic, boring of me I know. On my last my last trip to Melbourne (Au) I saw a couple of bizzies in front yards of houses, and huge specimen in the botanic gardens, growing in full sun out in the open, totally unprotected. A property I drive past occasionally on the scenic rim, has a row of big healthy bizzies, in place that can go down to minus 5c at times. My own bizzie, survived a minus 4 frost when it was only 40cm tall, without a trace of damage. It's now over 2 metres and survives anything nature throws at it, from extended drought, to floods, extremes of heat and cold. Just my observations.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Well that is certainly good to hear as I will be zone pushing my bizzie a little bit (9a). Hopefully we can add gulfport mississippi to the database for bizzies on davesgarden.

These definitely vary in hardiness. I was back in North Florida this past weekend looking at the ones planted at my parents and one of them has spear pull and damage while another less than 20 feet away is pristine and sending out new fronds already. Both have very slight canopy.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Hey Peachy....good to hear from you again....the data on their cold hardiness has been building steadily these past few years. As Krishna said, it varies among individuals. If for some reason you don't get a cold hardy one....this is a species that is worth it to keep trying.

Peachy didn't you get rid of a bunch of your plants a while back?

I've got 100 fresh seeds from a buddy in myakka city that I'm going to try in a 8b. Overhead cover for their first few winters though. I've heard they're very easy to germinate.

The bizzie made it back to mississippi, Im crossing my fingers that she takes to her new environment. Planting a 25 gallon bismarckia buy yourself is no joke, that sucker was heavy!

post-13098-0-93235200-1429721642_thumb.j

post-13098-0-44778600-1429721674_thumb.j

post-13098-0-45819800-1429721711_thumb.j

The bizzie made it back to mississippi, Im crossing my fingers that she takes to her new environment. Planting a 25 gallon bismarckia buy yourself is no joke, that sucker was heavy!

Looks great. Hopefully those washingtonias will race up past it and possibly provide it some frost protection. Might be worth throwing a tarp over it during any hard freezes this upcoming winter, at least while its small enough to protect.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I have been following Tanks excellent thread adn kinda debatedpositng this Bismarkia --- its the green one that survived the freeze of 96 in West Palm beach --- I got like 3 of them but only one survived our winters --- here it is after all these years --- the only Bismarkia I have that survived for any length of time --- green so I kept it in the shde no point --- but after 15 years its still around not huge but starting to be Bismarkia like --- its been through hell and a hand basket up here in Jax

post-562-0-77232700-1430022901_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-34216700-1430022934_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-61095300-1430023000_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-74328600-1430023032_thumb.jpg

I'm surprised a green one is surviving up there, Ed...I thought they were less hardy?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37