IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Happy Spring and Fall Garden PICS

Palm crazy

Chamaedorea radicalis trunking babies.

DSC00096_zpswzfhyevc.jpg

Butia x Jubaea growing in to much shade.

DSC0097_zps4jsndnha.jpg

DSC00190_zpshcyqm2at.jpg

Part of the back patio.

DSC00161_zps5jtxy1mk.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Last but not lease, some more Butia palms.

DSC00077_zps6xszfprr.jpg

DSC00079_zpsokltpnrb.jpg

This is a funny looking Butia but I love it anyways.

DSC00084_zpspjsi8cvm.jpg

Same butia from different angle.

DSC00086_zps92hhicig.jpg

This concludes my Spring photos, Hope you all enjoyed them and I will post again come early September for the finally of garden pics.

Have a great summer and see you all on the board.

Roger.

Roger- Nice Chammie. and your brahea is looking great. I added some 'ceriferas' this spring too.. hope they will do better here I hear they are hardier than the green form. I really like the blue plants lol

Heres to Summer.

Jimmy

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Yes the cerifera is much hardier than the green form, I found that out many years ago and have been saying the same thing ever since for the last 10 years, If you can’t go green then go silver. LOL!

• 3 months later...

End of the Summer Photos 2015.

livistona chinensis

DSC00047_zps7hzrhwfy.jpg

DSC00045_zpspnblbgxy.jpg

melianthus major.

DSC00042_zpszzs5gy9t.jpg

bromeliad billbergia nutans queen's tears

DSC00029_zpsxziv9kc9.jpg

DSC00027%20copy_zpssdlq4kse.jpg

canna musifolia.

DSC00017_zpsmxmq9tv3.jpg

DSC00024_zpsfc2rky2z.jpg

patio.

DSC00067%20copy_zpsi4eu5xvx.jpg

Jubaea x butia.

DSC00073_zpsfczsz2eb.jpg

dypsis baronii.

DSC00059_zpswtntcl7m.jpg

chamaedorea glaucifolia.

DSC00054%20copy_zps9crtychb.jpg

chamaedorea plumosa.

DSC00043%20copy_zpsravurybn.jpg

garden pic.

DSC00039_zpsk7fxsdw2.jpg

phormium, nz flax. 

DSC00036_zpsopqwtc20.jpg

I really like silver foliage. 

DSC00027_zpsvf8qy6xy.jpg

DSC00015_zpsabesw1ax.jpg

DSC00010_zpsiy0zsnuv.jpg

DSC00008_zpszfmo14sh.jpg

Continuing the show. 

mule palm x butiagrus nabonnandii.

DSC00084_zpsftnhazgr.jpg

fuchsia specious, hardy to 32F, but root hardy to z8. 

DSC00069_zpsneya4ogz.jpg

DSC00058%20copy%202_zpsj2qg0ox6.jpg

summer chocolate.

DSC00051_zpscabns9no.jpg

DSC00039%20copy_zpsrpiqg8bh.jpg

abutilon orange. 

butia x jubaea.

DSC00025_zpsl8vbejny.jpg

DSC00021_zpszintudcm.jpg

DSC00016_zpslaqckujg.jpg

canna.

DSC00003_zpsxzdo84x7.jpg

hardy bromeliad.

DSC00037_zpsggsibcse.jpg

DSC00058%20copy_zpsbh8u8fyj.jpg

gerbia daisy blooming again. 

DSC00002_zps7dwgiy0o.jpg

DSC00043_zpsdrydokpp.jpg

rosa joseph’s coat .

DSC00001_zpsetqwvseo.jpg

DSC00291_zpsejr3lifq.jpg

DSC00279_zpscetxks3l.jpg

two year old red banna.

DSC00284_zps4ej6spzp.jpg

tree fern, D.A.

DSC00225_zps48npx2zx.jpg

trachycarpus princeps.

DSC00217_zpsyagnnbyk.jpg

cordyline and silver palms.

DSC00216_zpswpimfql3.jpg

schefflera.

DSC00210_zpswbb2gyze.jpg

some butia’s on the east side of the garden. 

DSC00200_zpsuhlt9zeh.jpg

DSC00198_zpstkrsakrl.jpg

DSC00195_zpslcnqo9ch.jpg

part of backyard jungle. 

DSC00171_zpsr4jr2pts.jpg

to keep the slug off the opuntia in winter, I grow them in container on trachy trunks. 

DSC00237_zps8skbuqfh.jpg

More foliage plants.

DSC00159_zpsvaific5x.jpg

understory is sometimes very dense.

DSC00153_zpslvryovo8.jpg

hardy begonia from S.E. Africa. but not hot and humid hardy. 

DSC00132_zps96undyac.jpg

cordyline red sensation.

DSC00117_zps68hcamri.jpg

DSC00119_zpsmit8sgmy.jpg

asters.

DSC00053%20copy_zps8hjyvtlx.jpg

regular butia.

DSC00025%20copy_zpsze7pzo8j.jpg

jxb.

DSC00012_zpsgyfyl2dn.jpg

DSC00022_zpsklblxjt3.jpg

canna flowers.

DSC00058_zpsoee2xcci.jpg

DSC00038_zpsjesa5bch.jpg

DSC00177_zpsfaavjzgo.jpg

Thanks for looking will  post a few more tomorrow….

You have an amazing variety of plants. Beautiful. I wish I could grow the Summer Chocolate. Stunning colour.

Amazing what you accomplish up there, Roger.  You may be jealous of us in higher zones, but the lushness you achieve is not replicable down here!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.  

Last photo now. 

Arenga angler, the Formosa palm. Five more years and this palm will look really awesome. 

DSC00163_zpsk2rmycwd.jpg

DSC00144_zpsf317o2l5.jpg

DSC00138_zps26svay6v.jpg

Orange abutilon, this one is a keeper.

DSC00126_zpsts1bhi5p.jpg

cordylines as ground covers.

DSC00129_zpsdihianqz.jpg

DSC00117%20copy_zpsvi2rxlq4.jpg

DSC00113_zpsfcc2zjoz.jpg

cycads

DSC00099_zpsckcie3ep.jpg

DSC00070_zpsu65zvbki.jpg

Green butia trunk.

DSC00054_zpst00x0hzp.jpg

DSC00065_zpsnezdtivx.jpg

DSC00018_zps8z1uzzdw.jpg

basjoo

DSC00045%20copy_zpskpqxotyn.jpg

every summer I add one more new interesting plant and this year it goes to bergenia dumbo, love the big leaves. I have it growing on palm trunks.

DSC00325_zpsz0vuax0l.jpg

DSC00322_zpska39mj18.jpg

DSC00328_zpsipns43do.jpg

DSC00317_zps1odwdamv.jpg

DSC00077_zps7uucbe9a.jpg

Gardening is so much fun especially when you let the garden do all the work. I’m at the point now that all I do in summer is water and relax and enjoy. Thanks for looking. 

Awesome garden! Very tropical looking. I love your Albizia 'Summer Chocolate' It must be a delight seeing it blooming. And thanks for showing your bromeliad, I didn't know that species.

08053.gif

That garden is like a dream jungle, so lush and green. I wish I could replicate that up here but some of the species of plants is very hard to find or get. Keep posting more pics as I would love to see the growth on those plants.

Thanks everyone for looking at my little paradise in Olympia, WA. It’s just a regular city lot. The garden is 20 years old and it has change many time from a cottage garden to big leaf (hardy) plants to palms and exotic plants around the world. I use plants that do ok here and a lot are from similar climate like the PNW from around the world, like NZ, Africa, Europe, Asia, South Pacific, South America, etc. 

We are bless on the west coast to be able to grow a wide variety of plants that other parts or the county can’t do, do to, to much heat, humidity or drought. CA,\ HI is probably the two places that can outdo the PNW in plant selection. I love desert plants but they don’t like my part of the PNW very much. South and North ( in WA) of me is warmer and dryer so they can grow things like agave really good. But I still like to try and see what limits I can get away with. Sometime thing only last a few years before a bad winter take them out for good, but in the last few years I’ve been growing tender plants in container and replacing some with more hardy but interesting tropical looking plants that need no protection. If you think my garden is cool exotic looking now, you should have seen it 10 years ago when I was really pushing the limits, LOL! 

Josh thanks for the kind comments. Loved seeing all you have done to your garden. 

Peter it took me three tries to get Summer Chocolate to grow here. The thing I learn about this plant is, its not very drought tolerant. Don’t stop trying. 

Ben I bet I could do a good lush garden even in CA. Just need to use the right plants that are drought tolerant. Yeah some of the plants I have will not grow beyond z8 but there so much more cool stuff I could try down there. 

Sanips thanks but sadly the Summer Cholo.  hasn’t bloom yet but that ok, since the foliage is so awesome. The bromeliad I have is the hardiest in the world to z8, it goes by several names but I know it as… Fascicularia bicolor var. canaliculata, hardy to 8a and doesn’t need full sun. 

Southpacific73, thanks man. You’re in 8b,  (I’m 8a) so you should be able to grow lots of cool plants, keep looking into local nursery and mail order nursery to find things you can’t get locally. BC has lots of cool exotic nursery up there. I was thinking next year to show pics of before spring and at the end of summer to show how much they grew. But if you go back to page one and look at what the garden looks like then to now, you can really see how much things have grown this year. 
Even I was surprised by this. 

The reason my garden is so lush looking is thanks to irrigation.

The rest of this year will just be flowering shrubs into fall and winter but will try and post some here. 

Thanks everyone! I look forward to seeing more garden posting form you all this fall. Every garden is special in their own way. 

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking garden with so many varieties. 
Your Butia's looking good! If that all is going to be big you have your own jungle.

Southwest

Great looking garden with so many varieties. 
Your Butia's looking good! If that all is going to be big you have your own jungle.

Thanks Exotic Life. 

The garden is 20 years old so some palms are very tall and about half out of 70 palms are 6’or under.  Add trees and shrub and it already feels like a jungle to me. 

Here a few updated pics from the front yard. Fall colour peaks late October but runs till the end of November.  Rains returns tomorrow so got these pics today. 

DSC00002_zpsljdndqto.jpg

DSC00004_zps38kpgvjh.jpg

DSC00012_zpstjfquscj.jpg

Few summer flowers still blooming. 

DSC00013_zpssgfd2jv5.jpg

Some fall foliage turning, Japanese maple ‘coral bark’.

DSC00017_zpsboavobif.jpg

DSC00024_zpsihlvaaz1.jpg

Miscellaneous palms. 

DSC00025_zps9fml0blk.jpg

Awesome cerifera!
I grow one in the garden here as well but it is a bit smaller.

How many different palm species do you grow? 70 is the number of palms I think?

Southwest

Awesome cerifera!

I grow trachycarpus of course, chamerops, chamaedorea, livinstona, butia, jubaea x butia, butia x jubaea. That all the ones in the ground all 70 of them, lol! 

Thanks Neil, really love that palm specie too. I think I have 7 of those.  Garden needs another 5 years for everything to get bigger, right now a lot of palms are all the same height so its hard to see them all. Once the trachycarpus start to grow taller than the butia it will look pretty cool. 

It raining cats and dogs here today, and we need it after a record warm growing season. This heavy rain should help with all the wild fires in Eastern WA .

It’s also a tropical rain so it nice and humid out. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Awesome cerifera!

I grow trachycarpus of course, chamerops, chamaedorea, livinstona, butia, jubaea x butia, butia x jubaea. That all the ones in the ground all 70 of them, lol! 

Well done! 

Southwest