IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is this palm? Seen in fancy hotel called Pelican Hill in SoCal.

PlantDude

could be veitchia arecina? that's a commonly used plant in interior-scapes in nicer hotels

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Looks like Ptychosperma elegans, a perennial favorite.

It's too skinny to be an Adonidia, in my opinion. That same species also does well outdoors.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hard to tell from the photos but I would guess Adonidia--Dave, in a small container with little light, they can resemble a Ptychosperma elegans; have seen scrawny look-a-likes a bunch of times...

Veitchia gets my vote as well!

could be veitchia arecina? that's a commonly used plant in interior-scapes in nicer hotels

How well do Adonidia do inside long term?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I had an Adonidia inside for a few years but it got too big. They're great indoor plants.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

The lighting isn't doing the identification any favors, but I have a feeling that it's an Adonidia. There are a bunch at USF in the student center subject to 65 degrees year-round that look about the same.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Indoors, Adonidia stretches out and has skinnier trunks due to the lighting.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Google images is a wonderful thing: pelican hill lobby palms

Unfortunately, none of the images are very high resolution, but I may have to change my vote... :mrlooney:

Thanks for that picture. I'm now very sure that they're Adonidia.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

May do a cheap one inside...wife loves them.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

May do a cheap one inside...wife loves them.

I have never seen these for sale anywhere. I would love one inside if I could find one decent size.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Seeing that 2nd picture makes me vote Adonidia too.

Btw, my sister in law used to work at this hotel. Fantastic facilities, hospitality and location. If you have a chance to stay there, you will love it

• 2 years later...

Manila palms for sure. A.merrellii

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Very stretched Adonidias, poor things.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.