IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Syagrus goes in the ground

SailorBold

I worked in the yard today and did some spring cleaning. My Satsuma I planted in spring of last year took a beating over the winter and lost all of its foliage.. the trunk really thickened up and the wood is still alive- but I decided to remove it and make it an indoor outdoor plant. The dry cold is just too much for the foliage. Crispy leaves everywhere and even if it regrows I am not sure I want to be raking every spring.. so to the pot it went.

In its place I put in a Jubaea X Syagrus.

The palm is located facing south... and most likely the warmest part of my landscape near the center of my house protected from northern winds. It is in full sun..

'The Alpaca' right after planting. So excited about this hybrid !

post-8989-0-20389900-1426553005_thumb.jp

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

These are beautiful hybrids and I can't wait to see how it grows over the years, keep us posted on how it does!

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

My Satsuma plant is fried as well Lol It's starting to regenerate some growth, but if there's another hard hitting winter, it's a goner.

Super excited for you. Most definitely keep us updated. I'm about to pull the trigger on a J X S as well, can't wait to see what it can do although I'm not sure if I'll put it in ground the first year. How long have you had yours and I assume you got it from Patric? Looks perfect!

Make sure to protect it the first few years. Mine had spear pull every winter for its first 4 years which slowed it down quite a bit in the spring! Now it doesn't do that anymore and seems to grow well.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Thanks for sharing that, Krishna. I'll take your word for it and I'll be sure to do this as well.

Thanks guys- it is a Schafer hybrid which I recently got. He was kind enough to hold onto it and waited to ship it. Awesome dude and an amazing tree.

I will keep everyone updated.. and I will baby this palm. One of my concerns is the heat it will endure where it is.. I was careful while planting but I plan to mulch until it gets bigger to keep the area cooler! It should get enough water with the dripper system.. so I am hopeful for really good growth. The Satsuma that was there flowered last year and set fruit.. however the fruit dropped off.. it didn't grow much either I'm assuming the energy went into the roots. shrugs.. I was going to put a Sabal in this area.. but decided on this palm. I will still be putting Sabal tamalpais on either side of it tho.

Smithgn, maybe you should plant it immediately and then protect it very well.. even try to negate adverse summer conditions or excessive rainfall? My palms are all still less than 3 years old (in my new landscape)..but if you can get the root area established there wont be any set back from planting it 'twice'..just a thought.

It will be interesting to see how hardy these palms are.. even then I will most likely put xmas lights on it as it gets bigger.

We will see!

I always knew that mulch helps retain moisture and that it helps protect during freeze events but I did not know that it keeps the plant cooler! As I've said before, I learn something new every day with this hobby.

My Satsuma did the same I believe its first year, it put all of its energy into the roots. Hasn't grown a bit but it did set fruit last summer/fall.

Hmm, I can't say I've ever thought of it that way... After this winter, I cringe about possibly planting anything that isn't cold hardy to my area because of the continuous work and protection I'd have to provide. Not to mention the constant worrying and so forth lol... Although, protecting a seedling like this would be much easier than what I was protecting in my yard this past January and February. I might think on it.... But in the end, I think I may just pot it up and baby it. Maybe we can compare growth results with mine in a pot and yours in ground. Should be fun. I plan on ordering mine sometime next week.

Thanks guys- it is a Schafer hybrid which I recently got. He was kind enough to hold onto it and waited to ship it. Awesome dude and an amazing tree.

I will keep everyone updated.. and I will baby this palm. One of my concerns is the heat it will endure where it is.. I was careful while planting but I plan to mulch until it gets bigger to keep the area cooler! It should get enough water with the dripper system.. so I am hopeful for really good growth. The Satsuma that was there flowered last year and set fruit.. however the fruit dropped off.. it didn't grow much either I'm assuming the energy went into the roots. shrugs.. I was going to put a Sabal in this area.. but decided on this palm. I will still be putting Sabal tamalpais on either side of it tho.

Smithgn, maybe you should plant it immediately and then protect it very well.. even try to negate adverse summer conditions or excessive rainfall? My palms are all still less than 3 years old (in my new landscape)..but if you can get the root area established there wont be any set back from planting it 'twice'..just a thought.

It will be interesting to see how hardy these palms are.. even then I will most likely put xmas lights on it as it gets bigger.

We will see!

May I ask how much was paid for it. PM me if you don't want to say on the board. I'd like to have one and am just curious.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I would be interested to know how much one of these would cost as well. Let me know by pm as well.

I also planted a satsuma last year listed as arctic frost satsuma. It defoliated over the winter and no new growth at the moment but I'm waiting till June to see if it springs back to life.

I always knew that mulch helps retain moisture and that it helps protect during freeze events but I did not know that it keeps the plant cooler! As I've said before, I learn something new every day with this hobby.

My Satsuma did the same I believe its first year, it put all of its energy into the roots. Hasn't grown a bit but it did set fruit last summer/fall.

Hmm, I can't say I've ever thought of it that way... After this winter, I cringe about possibly planting anything that isn't cold hardy to my area because of the continuous work and protection I'd have to provide. Not to mention the constant worrying and so forth lol... Although, protecting a seedling like this would be much easier than what I was protecting in my yard this past January and February. I might think on it.... But in the end, I think I may just pot it up and baby it. Maybe we can compare growth results with mine in a pot and yours in ground. Should be fun. I plan on ordering mine sometime next week.

I share the same sentiment... although my climate is difficult all around and with the learning curve its difficult to know why palms will fail.. I tend to stick with the tougher kinds. I don't mind protecting lightly ie xmas lights.. and say wrapping during a 20-30 year freeze (after they are established)..

Worry can do more damage.. but right now I am just trying to make sure their requirements are met; and this hybrid needs to be explored a little bit further.

Where do you even get these? hard to find it seems.

lol... indeed

We will see!

May I ask how much was paid for it. PM me if you don't want to say on the board. I'd like to have one and am just curious.

You will have to contact Patric directly to see how his stock is doing.. as you know it is a very rare hybrid. Regardless of what it cost- if you want one they might not be available when you do. The price might reflect its rarity.

I would be interested to know how much one of these would cost as well. Let me know by pm as well.

I also planted a satsuma last year listed as arctic frost satsuma. It defoliated over the winter and no new growth at the moment but I'm waiting till June to see if it springs back to life.

I checked the wood of my Satsuma by scratching it with my nail.. wow citrus wood is tough! It is green underneath and somewhat moist.. Mine is starting to have nubs on the bark but no leaves yet. you might be able to check it that way. What was you rlow this season?

I want to say they run a couple hundred bucks, Keith...did last year...admittedly setting caveats above aside.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37