IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Autumn 2015

tropicbreeze

Another 13mm here overnight...still more rain forecast...all of the grass is rotting! I'm sure the plants would like to see a little sunshine!

Throw on loads of Dolomite/Lime and cracker dust if you have some, the grass will be back in no time and with a healthy colour :)

Thanks for the tip Pete. Have some dolomite floating around so may try that. Mainly the Blue Couch that goes bad...the carpet grass and Zoysia seem fine.

Another 16mm overnight to add to the sogginess!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I've lost count of how much rain we've recieved since Wednesday, but with the GC seaway recording 228mm and Coolangatta 127mm it would have to be somewhere in between. Recorded 40mm here overnight which made things just a little more soggy !

The rain finally fell for me today causing the temperature to drop. It is cold here and some parts of Adelaide enjoyed a hail storm too.

Summer ended this morning! That big cold blast in the southern states made its presence felt in SE QLD overnight...down to 15C at home this morning, and now a beautiful sunny day with no humidity...definitely Autumn weather!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I hear you Daryl. If I listen closely, I can hear the pinangas crying

You're right, it was a bit nippy this morning. When I looked at about 6.45am it was 13C. I'm not worried yet - June/July is when my palms start screaming !

I remember this sinking feeling. That's why I'm shifting slightly to cooler sp. Every summer though I forget and go crazy for tropicals. Haha. Sucker

Looks like the first dry season morning here, all too early. Could feel a real chill and dryness in the air. Shouldn't be happening until into May.

Ex-tropical cyclone Ikola will be moving over the SW today until about Saturday. Hopefully we'll get some rain from it.

No low humidity here. Every morning the RH is in the 80's or 90% range. Every few days we get a morning mist.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

My rain gauge recorded 43mm overnight and it's still raining.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Your weather has actually made the news over here Tyronne! The poor old west doesn't hit the news here too often

Your weather has actually made the news over here Tyronne! The poor old west doesn't hit the news here too often

That's probably not a bad thing. About the only thing the west gets is extreme heat.

All up yesterday I got 51mm of rain. The back lawn had deep puddles in it. The drains to the lake were running like rivers. The lake rose about 15cm just from what it got from the sky and immediate runoff. The stream system didn't start up again though. The neighbours upstream of me have just dug a fairly large lake system and that has about 30cm of water in it with ducks swimming around now. It was bone dry earlier. I'm only on tank water here for the house and it holds 100,000 litres. Another 5000litres and it will overflow. That's about another 18mm of rain. I'm really surprised how full it is coming out of a long and very dry summer. It's still raining too.

Half your luck! This miserable poor excuse of a wet season I've only had 2 days => 50 mm. One was 54.2 and the other 65.4. And zero rainfall days have been 51% of wet season days so far.

Half your luck! This miserable poor excuse of a wet season I've only had 2 days => 50 mm. One was 54.2 and the other 65.4. And zero rainfall days have been 51% of wet season days so far.

You've had a dry year then. So have we but this is starting to regain some ground.

At the moment I'm just a whisker under 70mm of rainfall for this rain period. It should start to ease up tomorrow.

But I was meant to mow the lawn this weekend as it's already growing out of control, but I can't in all this wet weather. If it could cut, my ride on still would lose traction in most places. So the lawn is just going to go completely nuts with all this rain.

I'm up to 75mm now and thunderstorms are forecast for tomorrow. I don't think I'll be irrigating again until November, unless of corse the rain stops in winter, which can happen unfortunately.

Up to Tuesday my total for the that rain event was 78mm. Average rain for April is 63mm so I think 78mm from a few days is great. I'm looking forward to some mid to high twenties on the weekend. Gotta cut the grass.

I enjoyed a nice morning here temperature in low 20s the dogs were bouncing about the back yard. Rain began to fall softly but the back yard quickly turned to mud and the dogs are filthy so they are banished to the shed. The rain has gradually become heavier and almost not stopped all day. The temperature has dropped too but I refuse to turn the heating on. Good bye warm weather see you again in about 5 months

I had a clear night and 4.3C minimum this morning. Not a cloud in the sky, so it should turn out a warm day. Don't you just love the wild temp swings from high pressure zones.

Wow, the weather is pretty gnarly down in NSW currently...a powerful ECL is smashing the Newcastle region. Big winds, big rain and big surf!

We got another 16mm yesterday...not quite enough to top up the garden, but I'll take it!

Daryl

Yes NSW has had an equivalent to a cat 1 cyclone go through. Can't believe the houses being washed away on last night's news. There's meant to be another wave of storms heading through this morning.

Here the weather is calm with blue skies and not a breath of wind. Yesterday we had a 5C min and a 32.2C max. The days start in fog and are beautiful once it all clears up. The sunshine is kicking everything along again.

So cold here on monday I couldnt drag the dogs out from under the doona. Then I hung the washing out and of course it pelted down rain. Last night I had to sleep in trakkies with 3 snoring hot water bottles snuggled in. Supposed to warm up late in the week but I think my cold nights are here to stay. Time to put the Licualas up on the deck again.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

post-10546-0-62186500-1429865881_thumb.j

A giant cold front hit Adelaide today this is a pic I pinched off Facebook. My garden has had so much rain that one of the wattles has gone into rapid growth and became top heavy and snapped at the base of the trunk.

NSW is just copping it lately. Sydney's west was hit today with hail 0.5m deep which collapsed the roofs of 7 factories. I don't know of any Palmtalkers in Sydney's west but I'd be crying if I got 0.5m of hail in my garden. It would fuse together and freeze everything. :(

So Sydney's awful weather didn't stop. Yuk. Pictures the beaches looked pretty bad.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

TC Quang is off the NW coast predicted to hit Coral Bay as a Cat 1. I'll miss the rain from it down here. Esperance and the goldfields will likely get it.

April average temps for me were 9.9C min to 25.4C max with about 90mm of rain for the month, most of it falling within a few days.

Winter is only just around the corner and you can feel it. Vastly shorter days and cooler temps.

Our miserable excuse for a wet season has officially finished. Nights have become unseasonably cold, day temperatures in the mid 30's. But ultra dry.

Makes me wonder whether we've been having unusually wet wet seasons for the past decade or so and now it's balancing out with below average dry.

Especially this late in the season and so far south Quang is going to be heading into a lot of vertical wind shear. Monica was only about a week earlier in the year but far enough north where wind shear was less likely to be a significant issue. I wonder whether there'll be more in the western zone? It doesn't really shut down for the dry season, although the possibilities are lower.

Weve had only just under 100 mm since this morning and rain is getting "heavy "now, but check out Bris surrounds, many in red are 250 plus mm some have had over 300mm since 9am and theres another 13 hrs to go for tally totals :bemused:

Pete

post-5709-0-30120700-1430473357_thumb.gi

330 mm was recorded a few kilometres from us and that was apparently mostly in a couple of hours. Had a horror drive home but at least I made it. The Bruce highway was closed shortly after I got home. I've seen some heavy rain before but nothing like today.

Regards Neil

Was a pretty hectic rainy day today.... 195mm for my place which is far from the highest for seq or northern nsw but Its nothing to sneeze at! I had to drive from bris to Gold Coast and back this arvo.... Not an enjoyable drive, but as Neil said.. I was glad to survive the drive!

Needless to say garden was inundated with water

We had 184mm all up here. Not bad for 24-36hrs, especially since we had around 150mm only 4 weeks ago.

We had 226mm here, been the best year I can remember rain wise. Tanks full and garden is saturated, time to plant

We had 226mm here, been the best year I can remember rain wise. Tanks full and garden is saturated, time to plant

Nice drop Paul, we had 182mm for the 24 hrs, hope your Cerifera got planted before this lovely rain, :)

All day today, I will keep loading on the "free" Bamboo mulch :)

Pete

We ended up with 208mm in my gauge so it will be interesting to see what the creek has done in my absence...

Probably going to be the coldest day of the year so far today. Cold direct southerlies after a very strong cold front. Had a really rough night with very strong winds, hail, thunderstorms. Winter is here.

Must be a very strong cold front Tyrone Adelaide is enduring a dust storm with warm wind gusts right now. Rain is forcast later this evening.

I saw on the news that there were 95 km/h wind gusts over there...yuk!

Not a pleasant night for sleeping. The wind gusts became stronger more frequent and there was thunder and lightning, short bursts of heavy rain and I suspect hail too. I expected to find one of my trees down this morning but everything was fine in my yard.