IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More cold still yet...

STEVE IN SO CAL

From NWS site..

TUESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE EVENING...THEN MOSTLY CLEAR AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS 35 TO 45.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Oke it's cold but not to bad? No freezing temps... Oh what i'm thing nouw you guy's have got palms over there that find 35F cold ...

When it's ending, i hope very soon for you ... here we go got a couple cold day's around the 50F for day but from sunday we get spring back again ... :)

Robbin

Southwest

Robbin..I usually see 30 if they're calling for 35. But more importantly, we need some sustained warmth so our freeze damaged plants can push themselves out of danger.

Oh, Steve, that's awful --

How is it that you can be colder than us up here?  We're to be approx 44F the same Tuesday night low --

All those recovering babies of yours :(

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Got down to 48 at my house. Coldest it's been in a while, but by no means really cold.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Mar. 22 2007,15:29)

Got down to 48 at my house. Coldest it's been in a while, but by no means really cold.

epicure

Exactly my reading as well & matches March 1 & 2 as the coldest reading of the month.  It did warm quickly though w/ 80's widespread inland.

I'm afraid that significant cooling will occur next week.  NWS is forecasting 40's thru out California for several nights [50's San Diego bay].

If only we could get just a little rain.  It could slow down the fire season by a month  ???

LA 82/48

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

30f in cali... heck.. we're not even getting that cold anymore....we're up to mid-high 40's at night now..... I HATE COLD....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

We had a couple of freezes this week, only minor freezes, with very low humidity and no frost, but it was still extremely annoying.  Fortunately that is the last of it for a while, hopefully for 8-9 months.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I've had just the opposite.  Warm nights with lows in the 60s, which is above the normal low temps in the 50s for this time of year.

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Mar. 22 2007,13:08)

Robbin..I usually see 30 if they're calling for 35. But more importantly, we need some sustained warmth so our freeze damaged plants can push themselves out of danger.

I hope you're plants will made it with enough summer heat ...

Robbin

Southwest

Steve

Here's most recent NSW forecast.  :(

SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS- 200 PM PDT FRI MAR 23 2007

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 35 TO 45.

THURSDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 65 TO 70

THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 36 TO 46

FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 70 TO 75.

SAN DIEGO    

SAT: PTCLDY  53/66

SUN: PTCLDY  54/66

MON: PTCLDY  55/64    

TUE: RAIN     59/60    

WED: SUNNY  54/65

THU:  SUNNY   54/64

FRI: SUNNY  54/67  

Coastal valleys in northern San Diego county must be in some lowland-type terrain.  Poised this question before.   ???  San Luis Rey R. bed influence & poor mixing [wind] likely play a role.  Even nearby Ramona/Fallbrook, normally the coldest, will be warmer than Vista/San Marcos. Upper valleys in San Diego Co are like Ojai/Santa Ynez [santa Barbara co]; deep  geographic "bowls" that trap cold air.  

Regions that took a hard knock in 2007 Freeze.  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ...as palmtalks resident weatherman, I'm putting you on notice. What a crappy winter. Windiest, coldest, driest ever.

If I was Donald Trump, you'd get your pink slip.... :P

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Mar. 24 2007,07:45)

Happ...as palmtalks resident weatherman, I'm putting you on notice. What a crappy winter. Windiest, coldest, driest ever.

If I was Donald Trump, you'd get your pink slip.... :P

aye aye sir  :laugh:

The acute lack of rainfall is center-stage for California.  Result of a recording-breaking arid winter. Long periods of dangerously low dew points.  Severe fire season  :o

We can irrigate & face the extra expense but FROST is our FEAR.

Otherwise Winter 2007 [inc Dec 06] was mild & near normal.

NWS DATA > DEC > >  JAN > > > > > FEB

[Means Normal]

San Diego 65/47[66/48]  62/45[65/49]  64/50[66/51]

Oceanside 67/37[N/A]   66/36[N/A]  66/44[N/A]

Fullerton  70/42[69/45]  67/41[67/45] 70/47[69/46

LA/USC  71/48[69/48]  68/46[68/48] 71/51[69/50]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

THIS STORM WILL ALSO BRING BRIEF COOLER

TEMPERATURES BELOW SEASONAL AVERAGES TUESDAY ALONG WITH STRONG GUSTY

WINDS. WINDS WILL BE STRONGEST AND MOST WIDESPREAD IN THE MOUNTAINS

AND DESERTS ON AND ADJACENT TO THE DESERT SLOPES. WHERE MOUNTAIN

WAVES SURFACE...WINDS COULD GUST TO 80 MPH AT TIMES. MOST OTHER

PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA WILL ALSO EXPERIENCE ADVISORY

STRENGTH WINDS AT TIMES FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY. THE

SNOW LEVELS WILL LOWER TO AROUND 4000 FEET TUESDAY WITH A FEW INCHES

OF SNOW POSSIBLE ABOVE 5000 FEET.

That's it...You're fired... :;):

(happ @ Mar. 24 2007,17:05)

[Otherwise Winter 2007 [inc Dec 06] was mild & near normal.

[

Happ,

Okay I will bite, if winter of 2007 was mild and near normal for California? ???

Why ALL those pics, of FROZEN palms in the FREEZE DAMAGE DATA forum? :(

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Mar. 25 2007,13:53)

(happ @ Mar. 24 2007,17:05)

[Otherwise Winter 2007 [inc Dec 06] was mild & near normal.

[

Happ,

Okay I will bite, if winter of 2007 was mild and near normal for California? ???

Why ALL those pics, of FROZEN palms in the FREEZE DAMAGE DATA forum? :(

Scott

Climatologist [recording since 1980] look at the data.  And as one can see, the winter of 2007 was close to normal [within a couple degrees].

Forgive the above poor display of the 3 winter months for San Diego/Oceanside/Fullerton/Los Angeles [normal averages were placed too close to actual values making it hard to read. It's merely NWS data for everywhere in the world, more or less [great resource for study of climate  :P

A quite significant freeze occurred in Jan and even broke 1990 records, in places.  It was cold for a solid week. Certain regions got clobbered, others did not.  Ironically some of California's prime citrus/avocado groves [san Joaquin/Ojai/Riverside/N San Diego co] were hit the hardest  :o

[bTW : those pork packages added to legislation setting time tables on Iraq War were sponsored by Cali Dems & Repubs. To help re-production of fruit and spinach e-coli scare]

The cold that settled over California caused significant harm to many gardens  :(

But one week does not make a season though Jan was noticeably colder than Dec & Feb.  Essentially LA was spared frost due to geographic factors [mountains/wind].

I would think central Florida has experienced such cold only to be followed by quite warm weather. [for example: recorded 87/60 on Jan 8 & 56/37 on Jan 14; the coldest date of the freeze & back to normal by Jan 16.].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Mar. 25 2007,15:42)

Climatologist [recording since 1980] look at the data.  And as one can see, the winter of 2007 was close to normal [within a couple degrees].

Forgive the above poor display of the 3 winter months for San Diego/Oceanside/Fullerton/Los Angeles [normal averages were placed too close to actual values making it hard to read. It's merely NWS data for everywhere in the world, more or less [great resource for study of climate  :P

A quite significant freeze occurred in Jan and even broke 1990 records, in places.  It was cold for a solid week. Certain regions got clobbered, others did not.  

Happ,

Sorry, but with all due respect  sounds like an exercise in academics! ???

Doesn't  seem  to pertain to real world gardens, or agriculture,as far as I can see.

That is the problem with offical data, first it only shows one specific spot on the map ,where the reading was taken!

All it takes is one super cold night to wipe out ones garden ,or ones crop if in the ag bussiness,little lone a week of COLD! But if the average temps are high enough to offset that one night, or a whole week, it will appear as you stated, that it was offically a mild winter.

I wonder if you could look some of the guys in the face who posted in the FREEZE DAMAGE DATA section, and tell them it was an AVERAGE NORMAL MILD winter in California?  :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

You're right, Scott. One can safely write that most tender gardens rec'd some frost damage.  In fact [based on the data I have viewed] only major urban areas in the Bay Area/LA/immediate San Diego bay stayed above freezing.  That leaves lots of territory.  It is more likely than not that most gardens had some damage. And the loss of some species of palm in the Central Valley [where freezing minimums lasted nearly 2 week] has to be significant.

Tabulating data & studying average conditions provides insight. It is only by accessing NWS info that I am getting a clearer picture of micro-climates [so diverse in California].

Steve has pointed out the forecast for northern San Diego coastal valleys; the only low land region where upper 30's are forecast for a few nights this week. This area from Oceanside inland toward Escondido appears to be some sort of geographic cold pocket.  The exact reason I do not know since the Pacific is so close  ???

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ-

The only thing I could venture as far as that is the "Camp Pendleton factor"?   There is NO urbanization in there to the north of Oceanside for 18 miles north and maybe a little more headed inland.  Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hit 39.0F in my cold spot backyard last night...WITH a good breeze!  I'm more afraid of tonite I think.

PLEASE won't this global warming start warming MY part of the globe!!!!!!!!  :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I got home last night to find the wind had snapped one of my king palms leaves in half. The really bad news was that it was it's only leaf. I quickly tied up all my palms that seemed in danger of receiving the same fate. My low this morning was 40.3F.

Aren't we done with Santa Anas yet?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Sorry about the frond. I'm sure, by the end of the summer it will look pretty good.

Got down to 49 where I live.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

My front yard tends to be about 2 degrees warmer overnight (I've switched sensors to confirm)  But I list my coldest area just to flaunt my misery....  ???

We'll see what tonite holds...I suspect similar temps.

Those were wicked winds though not SantaAna [offshore will kick in tonight & be a lot less violent].  Microburst wind gusts above 50MPH even in the Basin yesterday. Lots a downed trees/power lines.

Bananas took a beating  :(

47F/8.3c.  Much warmer tonight where the wind is blowing.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23