IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

jubaea x syagrus in the South

Tropicdoc

3 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

Looks like Butia and Butia.… 

Yeah, it's definitely not a JxS, but maybe another hybrid?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yeah, it's definitely not a JxS, but maybe another hybrid?

Could be, but I'm pretty sure that seed came from a Butia and not a Jubaea. Unless the original plant was a BxJ and it confused the collector. We would have to see mamma tree to know. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

4 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

Could be, but I'm pretty sure that seed came from a Butia and not a Jubaea. Unless the original plant was a BxJ and it confused the collector. We would have to see mamma tree to know. 

Just reviewing the thread and Andrew says it was collected from a Jubaea?  I see no Jubaea in that plant, and it definitely not a JxS.  You are right, it looks very much like a Butia to me, but if Andrew is right and it was collected from a Jubaea - I am not sure how to explain it.  There is no way it is Jubaea pollinated by Syagrus though - that would look vastly different.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I got this plant from Axel as a gift. He told me he got it off of a Jubaea mother. He also assured me that it was where no Butia were, proximity wise...  I am growing it as a J x S but I can understand if people don't think it looks like that. We don't grow Jubaea here so I am happy it is growing(fast too--way faster than a Butia grows). I have documented the growth on this plant so anyone can see the speed it is achieving. In the end, it comes down to trusting Axel, which I do--he has always been a friend to me...

Axel is a good guy at heart, and may well be a hybrid. Definitely not a JxS though. That would look very different - so different that it can't just be down to hybrid variability. Good luck with it, whatever it is! Keep us informed.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

Well, if not, thats a bummer. But I will update, if no other reason than to find out what it is, eventually.

• Upvote 1

And be patient. He can take forever to respond but he will respond eventually! It took about a month to get my order, but you might get it faster. 

Good luck

This thread is responsible for 2 recent palm purchases, and 3 more coming  before Christmas.   NOW STOP IT.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

On 11/28/2015, 6:49:34, _Keith said:

This thread is responsible for 2 recent palm purchases, and 3 more coming  before Christmas.   NOW STOP IT.

For years I was not a fan of hybrid palms. Of course living in South Florida my choices of palms that I could grow were in the hundreds. If I lived in north Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, et al, I'll admit I'd have a forest of muleys going on. Especially the Jubea crosses.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

About 4 months? Growth

2015-12-13 22.20.15.jpg

2015-12-13 22.20.51.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

About 3-4 months? Growth

I've been very impressed ....grows as fast or faster than a mule!

On December 13, 2015 at 23:24:25, Alicehunter2000 said:

About 3-4 months? Growth

I've been very impressed ....grows as fast or faster than a mule!

Wow! I think this hybrid is going to become very popular from what I've seen. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

JxS are without a doubt faster than a mule.  Both of mine have a growth rate almost on par with a Washingtonia.

I've been growing the JxS  in Dallas, Tx and then moved it to San Marcos, Tx last spring.  It is a stunning palm with the leaves being held in a flat plane.  The heat has not slowed the growth rate.  It has grown through months of +100* highs and occasional lows of 17* unprotected.  It's slower than BxS and (JxB)xS, but definitely faster than jubaea.  It's more cold hardy than BxS.  It had leaves 8' long before I moved it.  I've been growing this plant since Oct of 2009.  I'll take some new photos & post this weekend.  For some reason, the grasshoppers have a penchant for munching on the leaves during the hottest part of summer.  

10 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

JxS are without a doubt faster than a mule.  Both of mine have a growth rate almost on par with a Washingtonia.

Just to quantify that my remark is in regard to all being potted palms inside a greenhouse, not planted outside.

JXS are is probably my favorite hybrid Patrick did. I have 2 in the grown and 1 still in a 5 gal that needs to shifted into a 15.

After seeing Gary's JXS multiple times I get excited when I see my little guys in the ground trucking away.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

here's a picture of my little guys I'm planting in the ground

56758d1fa97f7_jubeaxqueen1.thumb.jpeg.9156758d21b08c9_jubeaxqueen2.jpeg.2cd9750f

Sunset zone 24

They were 2 strap seedlings in liners on 2/14

Sunset zone 24

They look great Josh- look the same as mine did at that age.  All of Patric's JxS I've seen pics of look the same.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like 100% Butia to me.  Too much armament up the petiole for a jubaea hybrid IMO.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have a picture of the mother Jubaea that Patric uses in his cross?

On 1/2/2016, 12:19:19, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

That looks like 100% Butia to me.  Too much armament up the petiole for a jubaea hybrid IMO.

When you say 'armament', what do you mean? I have run my fingers down the petiole and there are no thorns--just fibers. The fibers could be what you are talking about, but I don't grow Jubaea or Butia so I can't make the call...

On December 23, 2015 at 2:43:18 PM, Mandrew968 said:

From Jubaea growers, does this look like a jubaea hybrid?

20151223_172102.jpg

20151223_172119.jpg

Looks like a pure butia to me Andrew but who knows . It could look different with age. I'll bet that those fibers will turn to thorns down the road. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎25‎:‎55‎, Mandrew968 said:

When you say 'armament', what do you mean? I have run my fingers down the petiole and there are no thorns--just fibers. The fibers could be what you are talking about, but I don't grow Jubaea or Butia so I can't make the call...

Those fibers will grow into larger thorns and they extend way to far up the petiole to be a hybrid.  A jxb won't have anything much past the "fat" part of the petiole. 

On 1/16/2016, 2:41:50, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Those fibers will grow into larger thorns and they extend way to far up the petiole to be a hybrid.  A jxb won't have anything much past the "fat" part of the petiole. 

My JxB

IMG_7339.JPG

• Like 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Looks like cloudy territory... guess the verdict is still out--Keith, nice palm! Can we see a full shot, please?

• 3 years later...
24 minutes ago, RJ said:

Any updates to this thread after the years? 

I'll help bump this thread , definitely some active members still here to show some awesome updated pics !!! 

T J 

Here is mine in Houston (technically Magnolia, northwest of Houston).   Second pic is when I got it from Patric in December of 2014, 1st picture is from today (was dug up and moved in early 2016). 

B18311B5-95B4-4F0C-B221-A9B33B45F045.jpeg

29D38DB2-4F4B-4DE4-ABD5-BFDE1EF9EB25.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1