IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mid Feb Arctic Blast - Fear in your heart

_Keith

The AO has been very positive and the PNA is tanking for the first time this winter. If there's any stormy and cooler weather, most of it would be west of the Rockies.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

All I know is it is cold as hell outside, with wind and clouds, too. Schools in the next county north of me are closing due to possibility of ice on overpasses. My model says "this sucks."

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The AO has been very positive and the PNA is tanking for the first time this winter. If there's any stormy and cooler weather, most of it would be west of the Rockies.

That is what I am seeing. In fact, next week looks possibly quite warm. I am concerned because my greenhouse is covered, and this is the time I usually look to take the cover off so heat buildup is not an issue. I do propagate in there for winter. Me thinks, maybe, it will all come off this weekend. The coldest low I am seeing thru the next 10 days is lower 50's, maybe, a night or two. Today was warm and muggy. Hit 78F even this close to the coast, while my school, almost at the beach, had much fog and haze and I am a mile off the GOM. Dewpoint currently 65F. Such changes, so quickly. :bemused:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

41.5 here at my place in Corpus Christi at 8:00pm. Like Keith said, THIS SUCKS! Our normal high here in Corpus Christi now is 72F and we were in the low 40's this afternoon!

Why do you think that is? Lack of tree cover? It's right out on the water so you'd think it'd be warmer.

In old NWS records (60's, 70's and 80's), MacDill was always warmer than the Tampa's airport by 2-4 degrees. I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy now other than the fact the city has grown considerably over the past few decades. By contrast, the base itself has changed little since it was first built. It's almost as if MacDill represents temperatures of old Tampa before urbanization took a foothold. Now, the airport is almost always 1-3 degrees warmer than the base. The only thing that's changed is the urbanization around the airport.

Brooksville's official temperature is also misleading. The station sits in a "valley" at the base of a large hill where the cold air drains. The city itself is almost always 2-4 degrees warmer than the official reading. A local meteorologist always talks about this on cold nights.

Central Florida winter is over. The 3 freezes in March since 1890 somehow don't scare me very much. When the last one occurred, Jimmy Carter was president

That it, I'm sold - time to buy fertilizer and get it down. Garden Tour at my place in 62 days, got to get things cranking!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

What winter? It was back in the 80s this weekend here. But I was down in south FL at the Councours d'Elegance on Sat. in Boca Raton and it was rather warm. Sunday was a perfect day at the beach and lagoon in Jupiter, water was crystal clear and 74 deg and air was 82.

post-231-0-39685600-1424784714_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-99742600-1424784921_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-94477100-1424784967_thumb.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

We bottomed around 33/34 this morning, but just 30 miles north this was the scene.

post-1207-0-65300700-1424786676_thumb.jp

post-1207-0-07387900-1424786758_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Why do you think that is? Lack of tree cover? It's right out on the water so you'd think it'd be warmer.

In old NWS records (60's, 70's and 80's), MacDill was always warmer than the Tampa's airport by 2-4 degrees. I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy now other than the fact the city has grown considerably over the past few decades. By contrast, the base itself has changed little since it was first built. It's almost as if MacDill represents temperatures of old Tampa before urbanization took a foothold. Now, the airport is almost always 1-3 degrees warmer than the base. The only thing that's changed is the urbanization around the airport.

Brooksville's official temperature is also misleading. The station sits in a "valley" at the base of a large hill where the cold air drains. The city itself is almost always 2-4 degrees warmer than the official reading. A local meteorologist always talks about this on cold nights.

Central Florida winter is over. The 3 freezes in March since 1890 somehow don't scare me very much. When the last one occurred, Jimmy Carter was president

That it, I'm sold - time to buy fertilizer and get it down. Garden Tour at my place in 62 days, got to get things cranking!

I fertilized everything this weekend as looks like winter is over in Central and South Florida and nice warm weather has arrived.

I pray that everyone up in Louisiana, Texas and North Florida, that this winter ends very soon as it has been rough up there for you all this year.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

We bottomed around 33/34 this morning, but just 30 miles north this was the scene.

Yikes. I wish images like that were totally foreign to me. Alas, they are not.

It is hard for me to believe how late this winter is.

You are right, and it was far worse last year. We actually had a freeze mid-March which is beyond crazy. We will be back to the upper 70s by this weekend, and I sure hope we'll have seen the end of it.

Another classic photo for this thread, taken today.

post-1207-0-97301800-1424821228_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Ugh. ...that looks horrible. ...glad it is bypassing me this time. Supposed to get 1-2 inches of rain tomorrow.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

It ain't over till it's over. Check northern Gulf Coast forecast for late next.

Warm and sticky here, I guess AC season is here. Yard looks great with the consistent rain. Minimal damage from cold weather.

The forecast for Friday morning is waffled from a low of 27 to its current forecast low of 34. That is going in the right direction.

Must be staying well west of me....43 is low for this week...highs back into the 70's. Planted a few things.

ummm...what? what is this???...average for March 5th is 77/58...will be the coldest March 5th ever

post-4112-0-16117600-1425441372_thumb.jp

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Yep, models have settled in for us to hit 29 on Friday morning. Pretty sure we too will set an all time low record for that date. Spring blooms will be (i can't think of a polite word) again, 2 years in a row.

It looks like I am going to end up with a Zone 10B winter, but will likely loose my 3 in ground Green Malayan Dwarf coconut palms, since this is turning out to be a VERY chilly wet winter, our 2nd VERY chilly winter in a row. Normally where I live, I would have one or two mornings that dip down to about 31F or 32F with a total of maybe 6 or 7 mornings in the 30's all winter, but this winter, I have been down in the 30's at least 14 times, and we are supposed to get down into the mid to upper 30s on Thursday and Friday mornings! Our normal high and low at the airport is 73F and 54F (where I live approximately, 72F and 57F)! My coconuts could easier take the normal light freeze once each winter than they can take this ridiculously long chilly damp (but above freezing) weather. We may set a couple of record low high temps Thursday and Friday, and will likely be close to record lows. I don't know that we have EVER had highs this low this far south in March, and I just heard on CNN a few minutes ago, that Cape Town, South Africa is having some REALLY HOT record highs. Their normal high now is 78F and they got up to 108F! I HATE CLIMATE CHANGE. I wish we could get back to our normal weather patterns.

What happened to the positive arctic oscillation?

The PNA is very negative (for the first time this entire winter) so a big trough can form out west. It typically doesn't affect the middle of the country as much but that isn't the case this time.

Hope your not going to freeze Keith.

Yeh that's crazy....thats what happened here back in November. Warm and pretty...birds were singing.....then Wham! ....at least your not dropping below freezing where you are.

This is crazy!!! Freezing drizzle in March! If it hits 35F, will be the lowest low of the winter...in MARCH!Brownsville is further south than Ft. Lauderdale...average is 77/58 post-4112-0-35107700-1425515127_thumb.pn

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Wow that's crazy for this time of year! Brownsville is weird though, as it's 140 miles south of Tampa, but with the same winter highs and lows. Deep freezes aren't as often in Tampa either, which is why you see red mangroves in the Tampa bay but not in Brownsville.

Luckily we seemed to jump right into spring after our coldest cold snap of the winter. Highs in the high 70's or low 80's as far as the forecast can see with lows in the mid 60's.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Wow that's crazy for this time of year! Brownsville is weird though, as it's 140 miles south of Tampa, but with the same winter highs and lows. Deep freezes aren't as often in Tampa either, which is why you see red mangroves in the Tampa bay but not in Brownsville.

Luckily we seemed to jump right into spring after our coldest cold snap of the winter. Highs in the high 70's or low 80's as far as the forecast can see with lows in the mid 60's.

Which is why I do not classify Brownsville as a zone 10

Brevard County, Fl

Left Shreveport, LA a few hours ago, temporarily escaped the cold abyss, but it was on my tail. Now we wait for it to arrive here. New forecast low is 28, on March 6th no less. Oh joy.

Keith,

There are thousands of Black Mangroves along the South Texas Coast, some as tall as 12ft.. +, but we do have two red mangroves that I know of. A friend of mine from the Rio Grande Valley and I personally saw two of them with dozens of viable seeds hanging down in the summer or early fall of 2007 at the Rio Grande Delta at Boca Chica in a mangrove tidal creek of black mangroves. As we were walking along the mangrove creek, all of sudden, we saw two healthy red mangroves one about 7ft. tall and the other about 20 ft. away that was about 4ft. tall. I have read reports of a small colony of them growing as far north as back side of Matagorda Island along Matagorda Bay, but I have not been able to confirm this since you can only reach that area by boat. With the normal winter weather in the Port Isabel/South Padre/Boca Chica area, I am surprised there are not at least dozens of them there.

Keith,

There are thousands of Black Mangroves along the South Texas Coast, some as tall as 12ft.. +, but we do have two red mangroves that I know of. A friend of mine from the Rio Grande Valley and I personally saw two of them with dozens of viable seeds hanging down in the summer or early fall of 2007 at the Rio Grande Delta at Boca Chica in a mangrove tidal creek of black mangroves. As we were walking along the mangrove creek, all of sudden, we saw two healthy red mangroves one about 7ft. tall and the other about 20 ft. away that was about 4ft. tall. I have read reports of a small colony of them growing as far north as back side of Matagorda Island along Matagorda Bay, but I have not been able to confirm this since you can only reach that area by boat. With the normal winter weather in the Port Isabel/South Padre/Boca Chica area, I am surprised there are not at least dozens of them there.

That's pretty interesting. Sometime in the '80s, red mangroves were introduced over there in huge numbers. They were all killed in 1989 though. I wonder if someone replanted the ones you saw or if they naturally floated there with the currents.

Black mangroves are a lot hardier than red though, which is why you see so many of those. Red are the most common here because they can colonize the greatest area.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

How did red mangroves fare after the 1989 freeze in Tampa Bay? That area of the Texas coast really hasn't had a deep killing freeze (<28F) since '89. Black mangroves are also found in short stubby form in the Galveston area.

Looks like Brownsville will bottom out in the high 30s...Northern Mexico is forecast for high 30s tonight

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I am sure those coconuts are not liking that weather.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

How did red mangroves fare after the 1989 freeze in Tampa Bay? That area of the Texas coast really hasn't had a deep killing freeze (<28F) since '89. Black mangroves are also found in short stubby form in the Galveston area.

Looks like Brownsville will bottom out in the high 30s...Northern Mexico is forecast for high 30s tonight

There are red mangroves well north of Tampa Bay along the Florida Gulf Coast (Pasco County). I don't recall significant damage. Even in 1989, only the tops froze. Living in water, these plants are naturally in better microclimates. There are many a few blocks from my south Tampa home that exceed 15 feet tall.

Geez....calling for 37 tonight....that sucks, but at least not quite freezing.

Houston and you are warmer than me tonight. Still saying 28 for a low here and today topped out at 37. Looks I get the tip of the iceberg this time.

TropicDoc should be a little warmer than me as he is about another 75 miles further south than I am.

The WU is prediction 33 for Houston and the local TV is predicting 31. The current dew point is 32. Sounds like it could be frosty. Winds are supposed to be near calm after midnight.

Ed in Houston