IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mid Feb Arctic Blast - Fear in your heart

_Keith

N. Jacksonville 24

S. Jacksonville 28, 32

Fernandina Beach 32

Lake City 23

Gainsville 24

Ocala 23

Orlando 34

Sanford 33

The Villages 28

Leesburg 30

Zephyrhills 26

Yup... unfortunately reality bites. 24/25 is what I got Was holding on to a 9b winter until now, guess the Queens will have some burning.

N. Jacksonville 24

S. Jacksonville 28, 32

Fernandina Beach 32

Lake City 23

Gainsville 24

Ocala 23

Orlando 34

Sanford 33

The Villages 28

Leesburg 30

Zephyrhills 26

Yup... unfortunately reality bites. 24/25 is what I got Was holding on to a 9b winter until now, guess the Queens will have some burning.

There is a big difference between north and south Jacksonville isn't it?

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

42 F here ar 6:00 am, Zone 11a may hold up for another cold season

Yeah, looks like we were not near as cold as they thought--must have been the miraculous work of the master himself, Pat Riley, bringing in the fire breathing dragon from Phoenix!

N. Jacksonville 24

S. Jacksonville 28, 32

Fernandina Beach 32

Lake City 23

Gainsville 24

Ocala 23

Orlando 34

Sanford 33

The Villages 28

Leesburg 30

Zephyrhills 26

There is a big difference between north and south Jacksonville isn't it?

Yes... and east/west of the Saint Johns river. I'm on the west near OP so usually cooler.

Jimbean............what are we? Chopped Liver? where are your panhandle temps...lol

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Jimbean............what are we? Chopped Liver? where are your panhandle temps...lol

hahaha sorry. different time zone maybe? Hold on, let me get them.

Brevard County, Fl

Pensacola 32

Tallahassee 21

Crestview 19

Destin 33

Defuniak Springs 25

Panama City 29

Obviously the colder air had moved just off to the east.

Brevard County, Fl

Walked back to the warehouse and took a pic in your honorpost-97-0-01552300-1424455477_thumb.jpg

hahaha

actually my name ends with an "n"

"Jimbean" is a childhood nicknamed I had after the British comedian character Bean. I was a quite and clumsy child, and add that to my name is Jimmy.

Brevard County, Fl

hahaha

actually my name ends with an "n"

"Jimbean" is a childhood nicknamed I had after the British comedian character Bean. I was a quite and clumsy child, and add that to my name is Jimmy.

I also had OCD

Brevard County, Fl

My daughters school had a field trip to swim with the manatees this AM in Crystal River (about 75 miles north of Clearwater). What perfect timing with this cold front!

This is how I, my daughter, a classmate, and their teacher were dressed on the way out in the boat. By this time it had warmed right up (to at least 34F...LOL). All that said, once in the water, it was great. The water was reported in the low 70s, but honestly it felt even a little warmer to me. But of course, the wetsuits helped :-)

IMG_4592_zps98476496.jpg

According to the in car thermometer on the way up----

23F_zpsd49b18b1.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

At my place in Palm Harbor, the backyard station dropped to 33.4F. The air was bone dry though (dewpoints in the teens), so no frost.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Temp apparently dipped briefly to 34.9F right at sunrise. No frost anywhere along my route to work between S.W. Bradenton and the Bee Ridge area of Sarasota. 1/4th of an inch of ice in some Bird bathes was the only thing I noticed when I got to work shortly after 7am.

After the last couple days, looking forward to the mid 70's all weekend. Perfect Saturday for a trip to Selby Botanical. Charging my camera as I write.

-Nathan

I just noticed that Gainesville allegedly reached a low of 22 F last night out at the airport. This would make it one of the coldest places in Florida last night/this morning. I am surprised because it was 31 F when I left Gainesville at 4.:00 AM. A nine degree drop in an hour or two is substantial.

Gainesville's record low temperature for February 19 was set in 1958 and it was 23 degrees. When we are breaking and matching records, this definitely says something about last night's arctic blast, aka. "Winter Storm Octavia." (so the Weather Channel has been calling it)

I am still amazed by last night's low temperatures in Naples, Fort Myers and the area. Those temps are really low for that region.

Temp apparently dipped briefly to 34.9F right at sunrise. No frost anywhere along my route to work between S.W. Bradenton and the Bee Ridge area of Sarasota. 1/4th of an inch of ice in some Bird bathes was the only thing I noticed when I got to work shortly after 7am.

After the last couple days, looking forward to the mid 70's all weekend. Perfect Saturday for a trip to Selby Botanical. Charging my camera as I write.

-Nathan

The fact that there was ice would indicate to me that your work experienced freezing temperatures, wouldn't it? I put water in a metal dish in the back yard to about 1 cm deep so I could see if we froze or not and it was completely liquid when I went to check when the local station reported our lowest temperature at about 7:15. Based off the 50% damage to the leaves on my neighbor's papaya, I estimate I got down to about 32.5 degrees, just shy of freezing. The non-frozen water confirmed this for me.

While you're at Selby, would you mind trying to get some pictures of the tall coconut hiding in the mangroves over by the field? I keep forgetting to bring my camera with me when I go and the coconut that I sprouted from that one is one of the best performing coconuts that I've ever grown.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

-Nathan

Take photos - Selby damage report thread

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

-Nathan

The fact that there was ice would indicate to me that your work experienced freezing temperatures, wouldn't it? I put water in a metal dish in the back yard to about 1 cm deep so I could see if we froze or not and it was completely liquid when I went to check when the local station reported our lowest temperature at about 7:15. Based off the 50% damage to the leaves on my neighbor's papaya, I estimate I got down to about 32.5 degrees, just shy of freezing. The non-frozen water confirmed this for me.

Water in a skyward facing dish can freeze even if the air temp is >32F.

The worst (as in most dramatic) Ive ever measured was the very beginnings of ice formation (a slushy mix) on the windshield of a car at ~41F air temp. Ive also had some amount of ice formation inside the pool solar panels on my (flat, skyward facing) roof when the air was >40F. Radiational heat transfer is a b!$#%!

Larry 

Zeeth, you're correct.. since there are no nearby weather stations in that area, best guess ( noting a solid sheet of ice in bird baths exposed to open sky) is that part of Sarasota hit at least 33F.

Checking everything in the yard at the house before I left for work, no ice in buckets I have positioned to collect rain water. Thinking the wind stayed up just enough in this part of Bradenton to keep any frost away. Will have to look at the massive Papaya at the end of our street in the morning.

Will definitely check on that Coconut, and closely note any other damage I come across tomorrow.

-Nathan

Edited by Silas_Sancona

Macdill AFB 31

Sarasota 33

Ft. Myers 35

Ft. Myers airport 34

Punta Gorda 30

Venice 33

MacDill AFB is south Tampa's Icebox...not representative of the surrounding area.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Macdill AFB 31

Sarasota 33

Ft. Myers 35

Ft. Myers airport 34

Punta Gorda 30

Venice 33

MacDill AFB is south Tampa's Icebox...not representative of the surrounding area.

Why do you think that is? Lack of tree cover? It's right out on the water so you'd think it'd be warmer.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Macdill AFB 31

Sarasota 33

Ft. Myers 35

Ft. Myers airport 34

Punta Gorda 30

Venice 33

Why do you think that is? Lack of tree cover? It's right out on the water so you'd think it'd be warmer.

I have the same question. Is it because it is out in the open? Based on that local topography, logic would estimate that it should be something like ~2F warmer.

Brevard County, Fl

This is amazing, I'm at 46F right now at 11:50PM, Cocoa Beach is at 50F and Port St. John that is less than 10 miles away is currently at 39F.

Brevard County, Fl

46.6 this morning (forecast was 45). I hope that's winter's last (serious) blast.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

No Ice at all here yesterday morning, had water in a shallow dish, still no Ice, Papaya looks just as nice as it did before.

Thankfully, the wind kicked up at midnight or so, after slowing down some.

Edited by Dakotafl

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

Does anyone in California or Florida want to trade their weather with Houston for the next week?

7-day.jpg

Lows in the low 30s and rain is making me a little nervous. I am thinking it is going to warm up by June, when the Great Lakes finally melt.

Or maybe not.

Ed in Houston

On the plus side the winter rains recharge the groundwater... At least no freeze, gotta look on the bright side!

Edited by krishnaraoji88

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Lakeland 26

Tampa 34, 32

St. Petersburg 37

Clearwater 32

Brooksville 25

Winter Haven 32

Bartow 32

Cross City 21

Crystal River 26

Inverness 26

New Port Richey 31.3F

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Zeeth, you're correct.. since there are no nearby weather stations in that area, best guess ( noting a solid sheet of ice in bird baths exposed to open sky) is that part of Sarasota hit at least 33F.

Checking everything in the yard at the house before I left for work, no ice in buckets I have positioned to collect rain water. Thinking the wind stayed up just enough in this part of Bradenton to keep any frost away. Will have to look at the massive Papaya at the end of our street in the morning.

Will definitely check on that Coconut, and closely note any other damage I come across tomorrow.

-Nathan

Although officially I hit 31.3F, and only for 2-3 hours, there was zero ice to be found in my yard. Buckets/tubs/trays nothing had ice. I would have thought a thin layer an absolute. I left for Calif (am still here) a few hours later so will check MOnday, but damage was so minimal even on Brugmansia. Another 10A winter for 4 straight. :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Crazy weather. Looks like another possibility of a light freeze mid week here, may affect NW Florida. We'll see.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yep, looks like another sub freezing 5 days for us in the SE. At least we had 2-3 days respite from the cold :indifferent:

They are keeping us well above freezing. IN fact, the lowest I see is 51F for Thurs AM then near 80F by next weekend. I believe winter has finished in Central Florida. Spring looks like it is on its way. I am so ready for spring! :sick:

Say it ain't so........just planted about 8 different species of cycads ......and moved a bunch of potted stuff out of the garage. Don't want another freeze......maybe I jinxed us all with too early of a planting schedule....dang!

Say it ain't so........just planted about 8 different species of cycads ......and moved a bunch of potted stuff out of the garage. Don't want another freeze......maybe I jinxed us all with too early of a planting schedule....dang!

From what I am seeing, the cold will be deflected east. It may get chilly up your way, but it appears like the worst stays north. Look at the GFS.

From what I am seeing, the cold will be deflected east. It may get chilly up your way, but it appears like the worst stays north. Look at the GFS.

Looks like I am center of the dip, just moved me down to 32 Friday morning.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The airport near my house hit 30, but it was brief. We're back to normal near-summer temperatures. I suspect there'll be minor cold damage to some palm leaves and that the most sensitive heliconia in the yard will partially turn brown (its flowering like crazy).

I think it's safe to start giving things like Peperomia hedges their annual whacking.

Heathcote Botanical Garden in Ft. Pierce did a lot of covering, and seems to have suffered no damage. They're planning greatly expanded Christmas lights for next December, so if anyone knows how to use a metal/bamboo armature to support lights to make a fake palm, I'd like the info.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Agree with gsytch, Spring warmth looks to take hold for awhile locally. If it pans out, strengthening of high pressure over the Caribbean later this week/ over the weekend may bring us a few days of mid to possible upper 80's by next week. Any cold stays well north.

Today hit 80 and a well defined Sea Breeze developed across the area shortly after noon. Currently in the upper 60's with some Fog. Strangely, if it chirps or croaks, it is out tonight as though the cold spells of late didn't happen.

-Nathan

In old NWS records (60's, 70's and 80's), MacDill was always warmer than the Tampa's airport by 2-4 degrees. I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy now other than the fact the city has grown considerably over the past few decades. By contrast, the base itself has changed little since it was first built. It's almost as if MacDill represents temperatures of old Tampa before urbanization took a foothold. Now, the airport is almost always 1-3 degrees warmer than the base. The only thing that's changed is the urbanization around the airport.

Brooksville's official temperature is also misleading. The station sits in a "valley" at the base of a large hill where the cold air drains. The city itself is almost always 2-4 degrees warmer than the official reading. A local meteorologist always talks about this on cold nights.

Central Florida winter is over. The 3 freezes in March since 1890 somehow don't scare me very much. When the last one occurred, Jimmy Carter was president

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B