IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mid Feb Arctic Blast - Fear in your heart

_Keith

High here 59.4 at approx. 2 p.m. Now (3:40) is 56.7 and falling fast. Bright sun but howling winds. We risked the wrath of Code Enforcement by running our sprinklers to wet the ground and hydrate plants.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It's going to be close. The update freeze warning used the word "likely" for the barrier islands escaping a freeze tonight. Not exactly bullet proof.

Sorry but the unexpected higher temps are from a clear sunny sky. Clear skies are not a good thing, I'd rather it be cloudy and cooler before. Clouds trap some heat.

post-1729-0-02624900-1424380180.jpgpost-1729-0-17029000-1424380206.gifpost-1729-0-27643400-1424380228_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-36210000-1424380251_thumb.pnpost-1729-0-34665100-1424380261_thumb.jp

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Still showing 28-29ish for coastal Fl. Panahandle.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

The National Weather Service just changed its forecast again. Here is the latest for cities across Florida. These lows are extreme:

Gainesville.....19 F (yes, 19!)

Orlando.........30 F

Pensacola......30 F

Tampa.............30 F

St. Petersburg.......37 F

Miami Beach........43 F

Key West...............48 F

Jacksonville.........23 F

Tallahassee...........27 F

Fort Myers Beach.....35 F

When Pensacola's low temperature is the same as Orlando's, something is seriously wrong.

AliceHunter2000, what was the ultimate low temperature that killed so many of your palms last year? This does not bode well for Gainesville. We have seen 19 F before, but it has been a long time.

Meanwhile, other extreme cold records are being set across the eastern 1/3 of North America. This is crazy.

Never made 50F today! Never fell below 44F this morning.... Brrr Wind is still up. Predicted anywhere from 28-32F here, so I'll shoot for 30F. It is also duration. I think I will slide by with minimal damage. But, it is going to be a COLD night, then I fly out tomorrow. I'll have to remove this frost cloth in the AM before I leave for the airport. :rant: btw cannot figure out how to embed a pic!Q

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

My gut feels like it is going to get 40F-41F here with 37F in Orlando and 38F in Melbourne. I've called these things before.

I was right for Merritt Island, but undershot Melbourne and Orlando.

Tonight I am thinking 40F for Merritt Island, 35F Orlando, 36F Melbourne, 41F Cocoa Beach, 35F Palm Bay, 37F Vero Beach, 36F Fort Peirce, 40F for both Port. St. Lucie and Stuart. Outlying areas of Orlando to be anywhere between 29F and 32F.

Anybody else want to make predictions? Maybe we can have a Florida freeze pool :mrlooney:

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

My high reached 58 degrees around 2:45 p.m. NWS is calling for a low of 28. FOX News Tampa Bay is calling for 30 for Lake Placid. Yet, my local radio meteorologist is calling for 20 to 22 low ground and 25 high ground and no frost due to wind; where he's getting these figures from I haven't the slightest idea. He's been wrong twice (by about seven degrees) forecasting it to be colder than it turned out to be. If he's wrong tomorrow morning I'm calling the radio station to complain if he's off more than five degrees and not more inline with NWS and Paul Delegatto of FOX News Tampa Bay. Paul said he was pretty confidant in his forecast for lows tomorrow morning. Nevertheless, I protected as best I felt I was willing to do. In any case, it is what it is. Or I should say, it will be what it will be.

Mad about palms

I'm getting predictions between 30 and 35 for my location. The optimist in me wants it to fall in the above freezing range but I have a feeling I'll get freezing for about an hour or two. Nonetheless, I've got everything that's tender either inside or covered with X-mas lights and sheets. I'm hoping now that I don't cook my palms like I did last time when I used too many lights.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

50F here too. Also, Freeze Warning, Wind Chill Advisory, High Surf Advisory, Coastal Hazard Warning, Fire Weather Warning. Armageddon Alert to follow. In FL, a simple temperature announcement will never do.

Meg

Florida

My gut feels like it is going to get 40F-41F here with 37F in Orlando and 38F in Melbourne. I've called these things before.

I was right for Merritt Island, but undershot Melbourne and Orlando.

Tonight I am thinking 40F for Merritt Island, 35F Orlando, 36F Melbourne, 41F Cocoa Beach, 35F Palm Bay, 37F Vero Beach, 36F Fort Peirce, 40F for both Port. St. Lucie and Stuart. Outlying areas of Orlando to be anywhere between 29F and 32F.

Anybody else want to make predictions? Maybe we can have a Florida freeze pool :mrlooney:

37 merit island, 38 most of beachside, 40 cocoa beach south Patrick shores, 31 Orlando, 33 Melbourne, 32 west Melbourne, 32 palm bay, 37 vero beach and fort pierce, 38 port st lucie, and 39 stuart.

Sorry but the unexpected higher temps are from a clear sunny sky. Clear skies are not a good thing, I'd rather it be cloudy and cooler before. Clouds trap some heat.

attachicon.gifcold wind.jpgattachicon.gifcold wind 3.gifattachicon.gifcold wind 5.jpg

attachicon.gificicles.pngattachicon.gifanxiety-clipart-royalty-free-smiley-clipart-illustration-1098836.jpg

It was a beautiful sunset tonight, not really because of the color, it was because there is a lot of high clouds just north of us over land, that can be our saving grace!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

8PM, 46F and dropping!

Looks like a little bit of cloud cover rolling on in, let's see if that will cause any difference across the area.

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

Currently I am at 45 degrees, wind from the west-NW at 6-8 mph and dew point of 30 degrees.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I guess I am one of the few on here that love a cold day, it really feels invigorating to me. My plants on the other hand...not so much. I am certain the downtown area will not get a freeze tonight and if the Orlando area in general is not down to 40F tops by 10pm yet, I say no freeze.

clouds are saving us now

Thank God they rolled in. Wind has really died down, that makes my canopy come into play. The way it was blowing earlier today, it would have made no difference.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I still have a breeze at near 5-7mph, and I have noticed the temp has stalled at 43F for over 2 hours now. Fingers crossed that is a blessing, and not a tease where it drops like a rock later! By 7am I will know, but I have a glimpse of hope right now :-)) :hmm:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Holding at 44F atm. 47F a few blocks south according to the weather station off El Conquestidor steps from Sarasota Bay. What little clouds had rolled in earlier are gone. Wind is less than 5mph. We'll see where the bottom lies at 6am.

-Nathan

Good luck fellas. Dodged a bullet up here for sure. Looks like yet another dip early next week, but very manageable. But it is time for winter to scram.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

My mercury thermometer in an exposed grassy part of the back yard is reading 35F at the moment (Winter Park). The thermometer is encased in a heavy decorative metal alloy design, so I wonder if the thermometer surroundings get super cooled somehow by being made of metal and under open sky? 35F seems a bit low, but it feels like it could be upper 30s. I have set out an extremely shallow, flat dish of water to see further evidence of freezing conditions in the morning.

My mercury thermometer in an exposed grassy part of the back yard is reading 35F at the moment (Winter Park). The thermometer is encased in a heavy decorative metal alloy design, so I wonder if the thermometer surroundings get super cooled somehow by being made of metal and under open sky? 35F seems a bit low, but it feels like it could be upper 30s. I have set out an extremely shallow, flat dish of water to see further evidence of freezing conditions in the morning.

The closet station to Winter Park is reading 39F.

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

The thermometer in the yard now reads 33F! I suspect it will level off and even rise some at some point soon, before resuming a slow drop.

Still above freezing at 34 degrees at 11:00 pm......expect about 6 hours below freezing. Took a picture of sun setting this afternoon.post-97-0-65810600-1424407251_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-68412500-1424407292_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Still above freezing at 34 degrees at 11:00 pm......expect about 6 hours below freezing. Took a picture of sun setting this afternoon.attachicon.gif20150219_173758.jpgattachicon.gif20150219_173807.jpg

Man, look at that view. Worth any weather you have to put up with. Wish I was there with a bottle of wine taking it all in with you.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

42.3 at 12:45 a.m. Local TV weatherman said only a few places inland will go 32F or below. Still, many records may be broken.

Meg

Florida

16 degrees, that is all.

One thing I'm thankful for is that this decided to happen in mid to late February= The sun will be shining high tomorrow keeping temperatures above freezing.

I just walked outside with my hand held digital pocket thermometer and it read 35.4 degrees at 2 a.m. I discovered dew on my lawn tractor seat and tops of plastic storage containers I store old sheets, etc., to cover shrubs with.

I walked down to my greenhouse and turned on my propane infrared heater to low. I then walked back up to the house and the seat of my lawn mower and storage container were now covered in light frost (actually frozen dew)! There was absolutely no wind that I could detect and the sky was clear. No doubt some radiational cooling is taking effect.

I checked Sebring FAWN (eight miles to my north) and it was running three degrees warmer than at my place. But I checked their graphs for the past four hours and the temperature hadn't changed but about one degree since 10:30 p.m.

Also, the wind at Sebring FAWN was coming at 360 degrees. Points west (at other FAWN stations) the wind was starting to come from the N.E., so that indicates the cold system is moving east. Possibly, it won't get much colder now for me if winds start coming off the Atlantic. I would be happy to not dip below 30 degrees at this point.

Mad about palms

can't get to sleep.

almost 2AM and 39F. So much for staying above 40F.

Yep. And goodbye zone 11a for this winter! My place is just about ready to kiss away zone 10b for the winter.

Mad about palms

Dropped like a rock. Almost freezing here. 32.4F at 4am, So much for a freeze-free winter! Next................ :hmm:

It was 31 F at the house when I left at 4:00 am. I don't see how it can possibly dip to 19 F in the next two hours.

Right now, the web says that Orlando is 36, Jacksonville is 35 and Key West is 54. That's cold for Key West, but not a record.

It looks from this thread like nobody is sleeping tonight! (Florida PalmTalkers, at least)

Woke up to 36, here in east Viera. It's probably colder than that….I can hear the wind but haven't stepped outside yet.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink: