IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mid Feb Arctic Blast - Fear in your heart

_Keith

Well, here is a forecast to strike fear in your heart.

WHEN AND WHERE WILL THE COLDEST AIR BE?

Well, the coldest air will likely enter the Southeastern US between Friday and Sunday of next week. We will be able to pin point an exact date by Tuesday or Wednesday. So where will the coldest air be? The coldest air will likely be over the Eastern and Southeastern US. The Gulf Coast states that are most likely to be impacted are Eastern Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Northern Florida. This could change by next weekend as things become clearer. It is also unknown how far the cold air will make it into Florida.

http://www.gulfcoastweathercenter.com/brief-update-on-next-weekends-potential-arctic-blast/

post-1207-0-82534100-1423353871_thumb.pn

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I was just seeing that downward forecast when comes your thread.n After a winter with no really cold weather, nice rains, this would be awful. However, they are still struggling with how far south it will go. But it looks darn chilly! Fingers crossed it does not get that col :mrlooney: d here in Tampa Bay.

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Weather Channel models are holding us in the upper mid 30s. I sure like that a lot better than that graphics.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Here is a GFS 850 valid for Feb 19th 0z. It's 11 days out but if it holds true, it could get really bad for North Florida. Of course a few days from now it could be revised to just be chilly rather than hard freezes.

GFS_3_2015020800_F264_TMPC_850_MB.png

If the forecast holds the coldest air will pass east of Texas. Good thing to since I have already planted new Cat Chamaedorea palms that are somewhat tender for my area (hardy to 26-27). The map that Kieth posted shows upper 20s in north central Florida and along the central gulf coast. Coldest for the season in parts of Florida?

Ed in Houston

This is swinging down into FL, but our locals are still holding (so far) 40-43F for Tampa Bay area, 32-35F N and E, not the coldest of the season but close. The one night in January saw 35.5F here, with 19F in Pensacola. I have yet to see a forecast showing possible frost/freeze into my area, just upper 30'sF. However, Friday looks COLD with breezes and falling temps. Today is unreal - blue skies, light breezes, already 70F at 11am. I am sure that by Tuesday the models will tweak themselves and show the real dangers, if any. The AO is to turn positive (or is beginning) and should switch the warmth from west to east in the week after this cold shot. :indifferent: Ray called this one...the AO going negative and two weeks later we get it here in FL.

:indifferent:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

My forecasts show me at mid 40's again.

Same here. I'm seeing between mid and low 40's Friday night/Saturday morning. February has been cooler than I like so far, so I'm hoping we see some high 70's or low 80's after this front...

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

12z run ( 850mb GFS), seems to shift the worst of the cold east. As usual, could be a different story tomorrow, and so forth.. Also not seeing any big change in the forecasted lows for next weekend locally. Crossing my fingers that a suggested warm up around or after the 22nd holds. Ready for a stretch of warm weather instead of just a day or two.

-Nathan

The GFS Ensemble models (not the operational GFS) has lows in Tampa Bay in the low/middle 30's by Valentine's Day. These models can run a bit colder than normal but think Friday's high temp of 55F supports mid/30's at least. I had a feeling we'd be tested again especially with the double dipping AO that occurred around February 1st.

Tampa has not had a February freeze since 1996.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

They are now forecasting upper 30's by the Weather Channel and lower 40's NOAA, Friday night in Cape Coral, praying for a upward change in that forecast.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

For my area, barrier island, Melbourne, FL:

Wunderground Lows

FRI:39

SAT:42

SUN:45

NOAA Lows

FRI:44

SAT:45

SUN:45

Should be interesting as we're still a ways out from event.

My forecast low keeps dropping. Was 37, the 36, then 34, and now 32. Sure hope it stops right there or it'll be another spring with few blooms.

If there's a bright spot, it's most tropical have hardened off by now. This same event in early/mid December or even early January, would be much more devastating. 30 or 35F now doesn't pack the same punch as it would earlier in the season.

My forecast low keeps dropping. Was 37, the 36, then 34, and now 32. Sure hope it stops right there or it'll be another spring with few blooms.

Keeps dropping here too. If the current forecast lows prove to be accurate, it will be the record low of this season.

Ray is correct that at least the plants have hardened somewhat and damage will be negligible. The days are getting longer and with a rapid warming up this should be a non event for most of Florida. That is if it don't drop any further.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Weather.gov shows my predicted temps a little higher than weather underground. Let's hope that the forecasts don't drop too much. Here's what I'm looking at:

Wunderground lows:

WED: 47

THU: 43

FRI: 40

SAT: 47

SUN: 44

NOAA Lows

WED: 48

THU: 47

FRI: 42

SAT: 47

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

It's a sucker punch event this time. There will be two blows in 3 days time just as the double dipping AO advertised on Feb 1. Saturday and Monday mornings will be the ones to watch with highs Friday and Sunday in the mid 50'sF. As of right now, the east coast of the state appears closer to the trough and colder. Orlando is predicted to be warmer than Melbourne if the latest 12Z GFS run holds true. The numbers will bounce all around in the coming days so take what you see today or tomorrow with a grain of salt. By Thursday, we'll know what's going to happen over weekend.

Wow - just went to the weather underground to compare temps to NOAA. Just to play it safe I'm gonna bring in about 8 plants. They would survive but they are small and I don't want to retard their growth any, especially all are slow as it is.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Really is no way of knowing how this will turn out, of course, mid thirties or so isn't horrible to begin with, that said though, I hope its windy.

We will see if it goes that low.....says 34 on Friday morning for me, which seems like a stretch to me, I was surprised when I looked up the forecast.

Edited by Dakotafl

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

30, 38, 30, 34 is the latest here....but it has been varying widely every few hours.....my gut tells me that this one might go east of me....good for Louisiana and Texas but not so good for most of peninsular Florida.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I am still hanging at 32 degrees, but would sure welcome that jumping up 2 or 3 degrees.

My local weather people are now talking this one up, and sending the temps down. MOst already have the north and east areas at or below freezing for a few hours. I am beginning to get worried about the non-palms...perennials and such. Not that it will kill them, but they were just waking up and now POW! I believe Monday morning is now looking the coldest with reinforcing cold air. My only hope is some wind staying up off the Gulf. That will keep me a few degrees warmer. MOst have Tampa at around 35F or so now. It appears four real cold days in a row...I am hoping it warms up after that. I have a quick trip to California the following weekend and sure do not want to worry about heating the greenhouse. :rant:

We are now down to 31. Crap. Spring blooms gonna take a big hit, along with some early awakeners.

18Z run now shifting coldest 850 temps just off the FL east coast sunday and Monday. 32F (0c) line stays north of the area (for now) Bet the suggested low of 38-40F here for Monday morning rises a couple degrees when ii check AccuW. in the morning.

-Nathan

The GFS obviously hasn't either come around to realizing how old it's going to be or knows something the European model doesn't. In any case, here are Saturday and Monday morning lows as of this morning's latest GFS model run. Most forecasts are for airport locations.

Saturday and Monday morning lows:

Brooksville 30 - 30

Daytona beach 34 - 32

Fort Myers 41 - 40

Jacksonville 29 -27

Key West 56 -57

Melbourne 32 - 39

Miami 43 - 55

Naples 43 - 46

Orlando 36 - 34

St. Petersburg 48 - 49

Sarasota 39 - 45

Tallahassee 27 - 24

St. Augustine 32 -30

Tampa 41 - 40

Vero Beach 35 - 42

West Palm Beach 39 - 45

Winter Haven 37 - 37

Pensacola 29 - 34

Indian Harbour Beach/Satellite Beach trending up:

Wunderground lows:

WED: 48

THU: 45

FRI: 40

SAT: 44

SUN: 38

MON: 51

NOAA Lows

WED: 51

THU: 46

FRI: 41

SAT: 43

SUN: 42

Project low now down to 30. Starting to make me hum that old song "slip sliding away"

Thur - Sun now 27,38,29,33 ..... still bouncing around ,,,,, short duration's below freezing

Zipcode 33990 predicted lows as of today

Tue: 47

Wed: 45

Thu: 47

Fri: 38

Sat: 49

Sun: 37

Mon: 47

A bit up & down at the weekend

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

The GFS obviously hasn't either come around to realizing how old it's going to be or knows something the European model doesn't. In any case, here are Saturday and Monday morning lows as of this morning's latest GFS model run. Most forecasts are for airport locations.

Saturday and Monday morning lows:

Brooksville 30 - 30

Daytona beach 34 - 32

Fort Myers 41 - 40

Jacksonville 29 -27

Key West 56 -57

Melbourne 32 - 39

Miami 43 - 55

Naples 43 - 46

Orlando 36 - 34

St. Petersburg 48 - 49

Sarasota 39 - 45

Tallahassee 27 - 24

St. Augustine 32 -30

Tampa 41 - 40

Vero Beach 35 - 42

West Palm Beach 39 - 45

Winter Haven 37 - 37

Pensacola 29 - 34

Ray, is there going to be any noticeable wind in this event, to keep away frost?

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

On Sunday afternoon, the NWS says there may be gale force winds just offshore Gulfside. Not sure about the Atlantic. There may also be Lake Wind advisories. I don't know if that holds up after the sun goes down this time. If we do freeze, I don't want any wind. If it's only dropping down to 33F, I'd like a small hurricane.

Mine has been revised down to 42F, 40F.

wow, the models are volatile with this one. My new forecast looks like this 43F and 39F.

Brevard County, Fl

Not a lot of wind associated with the coldest temps for my area.....that's a good thing...gulf proximity may help me during this event.