IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Moose

After a dry start in May, we received .32" today, hope it continues!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Total for May here is ZERO. It rained three times in April for (typical) under 2 inches. March was wet thankfully. Sea breezes are in, humidity up, now I need to get parked under one of those storms! :mrlooney::mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Another .62" today, so palms are happy!

After watching the last of some promising storms racing across Sarasota fade away last night on radar, we finally got a good soaking today. Been very dry/ HOT otherwise, despite another soaker we'd had not long ago. Hoping we clock a couple more days of late day storms before another break.

-Nathan

Even here, rains have come early! Storm during midweek dropped an inch easily, and last night was about 1/3" with an even higher chance today. Keeping my fingers crossed that the rainy season begins now and does not shut off. Breaks here and there are good, but please do not go away! :sick:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Missed out on most of the heavier storms the last couple days. Thursday's monster that drowned parts of Sarasota literally came to our doorstep and scooted around South Bradenton with just enough rain to wet the pavement. For awhile, looked ( and sounded) like we were going to get hammered.

Similar story yesterday with the heaviest rain rolling out into the mouth or Tampa Bay/ St. Pete Area. Apparently parts of S. Pinellas county saw Nickel- sized Hail. Suggested forecast last night at 11 was centering the strongest storms right on top of us today so we'll see what happens.

Even with spotty rain, everything is as green as an be out in the yard.

-Nathan

Did anybody see this?

This was in Tampa Bay yesterday, May 19th.

post-4141-0-96840900-1432133818_thumb.jp

Did anybody see this?

This was in Tampa Bay yesterday, May 19th.

Wow, what an awesome photo!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

That is an old pic. There was nary a cloud, never mind a storm, in Tampa Bay. In fact, my hope for an early rainy season went kaput. Not only zero rain, but not a cloud.Just hot sun and 90F daily. So May stands at 1.4" in two rains. None in over a week. None last weekend. Fingers crossed this weekend as chances go up. :sick::sick:

Much of the Orlando area received a good soaking a few days ago but my area got nothing. It has been over a month since our last substantial rainfall and my landscaping would all be wilted and dying if not for constant irrigation. I am hoping that our rainy season will at least kick in by June 1.

Well, the rain gods answered. About half an hour ago a deluge began out of nowhere. Sunny, not a cloud at noon. Clouds built up, thunder, seabreeze, then bam! An inch in twenty minutes. I'll take it! Hoping for more rain spread evenly for everyone. :)

We received a nice storm today that dumped almost an inch at my house. Had .40" yesterday, which makes May a total of 2.64", so far. Praying for a great raining season this year for all.

OMG, Havent had anything more than a drizzle for almost a month. Im growing weary of hand watering, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hopefully our summer rains will be here soon., my sanctuary needs it.

I can't say that it hasn't rained in Gainesville for 3 weeks, but the rain has consistently missed my part of town. ....for 3 weeks now. North Florida has had rain in areas northwest of Gainesville, e.g. Lake City, Tallahassee, panhandle, etc., but it certainly has not rained at my place. This is odd because we have been having such rainy winters for the past two years, but suddenly now this dry spell comes out of nowhere. There has been almost too much rain for about three years straight, so May has been a surprise.

Tomorrow: 50% chance of showers, but I won't believe it until I see it.

Same with my part of Ocala... No rain and clear blue skies...

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

And another storm hit around 5pm. A doozy! Almost 1 1/2" of rain fell in torrents, giving me 2 1/2" in two days with lots of thunder and lightning. The rain gods came through. Now I hope I share my bounty with those in need...... :drool:

After watching many afternoon storms tease us over the past several days, everything came together to dump nearly 3" just after Sunset. Despite the torrent and light show, still 82F out. Saw several WX stations around town reaching highs between 93- 97F around 3pm. No doubt the heat is on, and here to stay. Looks to dry out a bit come Wed-Fri. then rain chances back to 40-70% by Sat.

-Nathan

More storms hit every day. Last night was the biggest of them all with an incredible light show and over 3" of rain. Torrents. Total in 4 days was over 6". When it rains, it pours. Be careful what you wish for.....but this was too much at once. :mrlooney:

After a few days, more rain has continued with some evening storms. Luckily,nothing like the deluges, just good rains. This is the first time I can recall where the rainy season started in May, and did not shut off (not yet anyway). Hope that it will be consistent this summer. :floor:

A few showers but the good soaker rain has yet to materialize. I am getting so sick and tired of dragging the hose. The monsoonal rains are late this year. 400 lbs. of spread fertilizer is waiting on that rain.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

It is those little short every day showers that water nothing, but keep the foliage and crowns constantly wet and the humidity off the charts that hurt. They create a perfect disease environment.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It is those little short every day showers that water nothing, but keep the foliage and crowns constantly wet and the humidity off the charts that hurt. They create a perfect disease environment.

Agreed. If you can stand under a Live Oak canopy and stay relatively dry, it's not really rain.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It's not a big deal if you live near Hilo, on Kauai or in Keith's area of Louisiana but 7" of rain fell in 2 hours here yesterday. It's not a local record but I'm sure it's top 5.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

5+ inches here in past 2 days.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

....and the rains just keep on coming! This is the third day (so far) without rain after many days of rains. Since Mid May about 9-10 inches has fallen. A real rainy season, started early, and appears to want to stay. So different than the past year! :mrlooney:

3" here. Argentine rain lilies (Habranthus) will put on a show tomorrow. Having seen a spectacular Habranthus bed last week, I want to work on expanding mine.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I'm no longer complaining, but reserve the right to do so in the near future :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

South Palm Beach County is dryyyyyyyyyyyyy. We've had less than an inch in the past 30 days & nothing expected through July 4th!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Dry and HOT in the Orlando area still. No rain for a week. Abnormal June weather continues.

Definitely dried out here. In the past week, only two rains and they were not all that great, but better than some of you in SoFla, it appears. Thunder three days in a row for hours, only to see like 1/4"-1/2" in two storms. The rest were light rains or mist with rocking hard nearby. Hit and miss and favors the West Coast this June. While hot, as usual, nothing like last year's mid 90'sF that were consistent. I hope the rest of the state gets in the rains! :yay:

Boy it turned hot and dry! Another cloudless, 95F day.Rains have mostly missed in the past 10 days. What started as an early rainy season sure dried up. HOT HOT. Any signs that moisture is on its way back? We need it. :sick::sick:

We are under the dome again! Rains everywhere in the Cape but my house ;-)

Amazing how thunder roars, day after day, and you miss it. May was very wet. June not so much.

Amazing how thunder roars, day after day, and you miss it. May was very wet. June not so much.

I do not get it, for 5 straight days it has rained just south of me in Cape Coral, but not a drop here. The exact same pattern for the last 5 days, very weird. I am beginning to wonder if there is some geographical phenomenon that makes this happen? We have the Caloosahatchee river to the southeast of us and I can see the rain building SE of my location and just slides a couple miles south of us.

4 good rains in the last 12 days, standing water in the back yard each time including last night. The wet loving palms are in palm heaven, its been a great growing year in my area. Its uncomfortably steamy for humans, magnificent for palms.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Got some rain today, 1.12", pattern changed or something ;-)

Still bone dry here..lawns are showing that brown look and my Crepe Myrtle was wilted some today. It is a tall 25 feet, so a big tree, but dang that is dry and hot. Nary a cloud,either.Just sun, heat, wind and humidity.....Send a little rain my way plz! :badday:

• 2 weeks later...

Day 10 now with no rain at my location, despite widespread rains over most of the area the past 5 days. Rain chances look good again today, so I'm hoping we break our streak.