IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapidophyllum hystrix in Switzerland

Flow

Hi all

Since Alberto showed his beauties, I decided to go on with the world needle tour and show my little babies.

It is pretty much impossible to get any larger specimens without being completely ruined. So, to try and see, I firs planted out a tiny seedling in April 2012:

post-6290-0-53786700-1422049489_thumb.jp

It has put out 3-4 leaves every year. We lack summer heat so I'm happy anyway. It has never had any sort of protection.

post-6290-0-06746000-1422049722_thumb.jp

and it's already showing some needles, yaaay.

post-6290-0-48299300-1422049857_thumb.jp

And here's my larger one. Planted in spring 2013. Unfortunately, I have no comparison shot. It's in semi shade.

post-6290-0-69366600-1422049991_thumb.jp

Flow!

Good to see you.

Hmm.

Bet you could get Trachies to grow, fortunei, that is.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Flow!

Good to see you.

Hmm.

Bet you could get Trachies to grow, fortunei, that is.

Thanks Dave, I do in fact have a T. wagnerianus, a T. princeps "hybrid" and a T. geminisectus planted out. For the princeps hybrid and the geminisectus it's the first winter. They look fine so far. We have had lot's of snow and some -7/-8C and once -10 ( on december 29).

I only started growing exotic plants in 2012 and I'm therefore still testing what is possible. I also have some desert plants (A. ovatifolia, Y. thompsoniana for example) which are very trouble free and rewarding.

Nice Needle Palms, Flow! What sort of absolute minimum temps do you see there?

Frank, I do not know the exact minimum but usually it is between -10 to -15C altough -15C is rare. The average minimum in January is -2.7C according to Wikipedia.

There is a private weather station nearby and it recorded -16.5C in 2005 or 06. That is about the coldest we've seen in the last 10 years or so. There was a killer two weeks in 2012 with highs below freezing and temps down to -15 which put an end to many unprotected T. fortunei. It was clearly the duration of the freeze which killed them. Also, the ground was frozen solid pretty deep.

So, to sum up, what kills most exotic plants here is prolonged frost. This also means that USDA zones are pretty much useless here.

This is quite annoying considering the fact that in the south of our small country there are centenatrian Jubaeas, Braheas, Butias and others. And the south is less than 200km away from where I live. Only the alps in between..

Florian, very nice to see your needle palms growing in Swizterland!!!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Those look very healthy. They are great palms. You will love them more and more as they get bigger. I live in the middle of their native range and the ones in my relatively new garden don't look any better. In fact, I have trouble getting them established. I am thinking they need more water and/or richer soil. Once established they are trouble-free, of course.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Very healty looking needle palms. They survive in this part of Holland as well, but have the same problems with summer heat for some good growth.

Southwest

• 4 weeks later...

I have a small needle palm in may greenhouse that i germinated from seed 6 years ago - it's now as tall as a pen ! I have an archontophoenix alexandrae that was germinated the same time is now 5 m 20 ' tall :drool: maybe i should bite the bullet and plant the little needle palm !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Plant it, Troy, mine did not grow well in its pot. But of course, they are never going to be "fast". I wish I could plant Archontophoenix..

Great job Flow. Keep up the good work and happy growing :greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 3 months later...

So, today I noticed this:

post-6290-0-90642700-1434474827_thumb.jp

First flower ever.

This might be rather boring for some of you but I was very excited to see this and I didn't know they flowered at this size already. The plant only has one tiny sideshoot which isn't growing much so far (barely visible on the photo here on the left).

post-6290-0-84239200-1434474843_thumb.jp

I had grown up a needle palm from seed in 2003 in a pot, which I placed outdoors in my garden in Germany as long as possible. But due to the extreme fluctuation in temperature during the winter (between +20°C and -20°C in January and February) It was not possible to plant it in the ground. When it was 3 years old it already looked quite pretty:

Photo 2006-09-15

post-10467-0-48332900-1434493049_thumb.j

I gave it away in 2008 to a zoological garden in Walsrode/Germany.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

How about a little summer greenhouse for extra warmth?

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 1 month later...

I had two needles. The smaller one suddenly dried up this spring and died within two or three weeks, no clue why. The larger one is fine. The smaller one had been in the ground since 2012 with no protection.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/44586-rhapidophyllum-hystrix-in-switzerland/#entry711981

But it does look like a shrub and doesn't add so much that tropical look to the garden..

I had two needles. The smaller one suddenly dried up this spring and died within two or three weeks, no clue why. The larger one is fine. The smaller one had been in the ground since 2012 with no protection.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/44586-rhapidophyllum-hystrix-in-switzerland/#entry711981

But it does look like a shrub and doesn't add so much that tropical look to the garden..

Oh, that's bad news ... :crying:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Oh oops, I didn't mean to post this here but in the wagnerianus topic where Yunder Wækraus asked about it hence the link - my bad :-)

Btw the flowers of the larger one just stopped developing at some point. I guess that's because it was the first time? It was rather late as well even though we've had a very warm spring and summer.

Edited by Flow

So, today I noticed this:

attachicon.gifDSC_0465.JPG

First flower ever.

This might be rather boring for some of you but I was very excited to see this and I didn't know they flowered at this size already. The plant only has one tiny sideshoot which isn't growing much so far (barely visible on the photo here on the left).

attachicon.gifDSC_0461.JPG

Way to go Flow!

Needles will take down to about -25 F; -31 C. Nannorrhops might be worth a try if you can give them the hottest spot you have.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, I had a potted Nannorrhops wich grew well during summer and just died in my frost free but rather moist greenhouse in winter..:-(. Anyway, I know of no succesful longterm survival of Nannorrhops around here. Winter wet seems to finish them off quickly.

About needle hardiness: Temps do not normally drop below -12/-15C here, that should be no problem. However, it is never that easy. They sometimes just die for other reasons, as did my small one.

Edited by Flow