IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

best microclimate in central florida

empireo22

Actually disregard these. I'll draw up better maps once I get caught up with reading my last econ textbook for the semester.

Brevard County, Fl

I like your map Jim, though I would paint the 30F line roughly where your 28F line is, the inner Orlando area. I feel confident when I say this area does not overall average below 30F for the average annual extreme lows now. I think we just need more years to reflect this new normal in the official record. Also, 10a,by definition is 30+ on average, not 33+.

I like your map Jim, though I would paint the 30F line roughly where your 28F line is, the inner Orlando area. I feel confident when I say this area does not overall average below 30F for the average annual extreme lows now. I think we just need more years to reflect this new normal in the official record. Also, 10a,by definition is 30+ on average, not 33+.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my map.

I put the 28F line where it is at for a reason. I'll give you one case in point to prove it: depending on where you are at in Azalea Park, there is a 3F to 4F drop from the Executive Airport to there. The big change over happens in that mile and a half. The only areas that stay relatively that warm is the areas with the heavier urbanization, south to Conway, and dissipating south and east from there.

If you can prove to me otherwise, please do. This is based on a combination of weather underground information, satellite data from recent cold events, my personal observations of the area, and my consideration of urban, topographical, and aquatic influences.

Brevard County, Fl

Jim, greetings... nice work on the Orange Co. map. It seems consistent with what I experienced in North Apopka, which you show to be 25 degrees. I know someone nearby (Zellwood area) whose thermometer registered 26 as a low. Last week, I spoke to the owner of La Fleur nursery in western Seminole County, near the Lake Co. line. She advised that her nursery hit a low of 27. The fallout in my back yard is proof of this.

Also consistent with your map, I was on the south side of downtown Orlando last week. The Alexanders, the royals, the arecas, and Christmas palms, and the bottle palms all appeared unscathed.

Anyway, I am putting some hardier varieties in to replace whatever doesn't make it.

Thank you again for constructing the map. I am sure plenty of enthusiasts and merchants stand to benefit from this data.

I'm not convinced about the huge urban heat island in Orange county that I keep hearing about. From what I've seen, the warmest parts might be considered a warm 9b, but that's it. Tampa is a huge city that's farther south and closer to the water and there are only a couple small spots that I would consider maybe being 10a, so I don't see how any amount of heat island could make Orlando as warm as Tampa considering the location (and heat island of Tampa as well).

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I'm not convinced about the huge urban heat island in Orange county that I keep hearing about. From what I've seen, the warmest parts might be considered a warm 9b, but that's it. Tampa is a huge city that's farther south and closer to the water and there are only a couple small spots that I would consider maybe being 10a, so I don't see how any amount of heat island could make Orlando as warm as Tampa considering the location (and heat island of Tampa as well).

I had the same initial assumptions. After I broke the data down I found that the metro area experiences lows similar to Vero Beach and Melbroune.

I want to add for the record that I do not consider an area to be zone 10A until the average minimum gets to be above 33F.

Brevard County, Fl

Hopefully this is the last correction.

f3226_2.gif

disregard this map, I am doing another revision.

One of my procedures was flawed.

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

The metro averages 30.8F.

If there are any mods here, please do me a favor and delete all my previous Orange county maps.

Thank you.

Edited by Jimbean
  • Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

I find it odd too Keith, considering how far north and inland the Orlando area is. But I can definitely vouch for the impact that urbanization has had on the landscape. The last time I saw evidence of a widespread freeze in the immediate area was in 2010 and before that, 2003. I have been compiling some data and unfortunately the Orlando Executive Airport does not have data before the late 1980s. I will keep digging and post my findings.

Its not the whole county, mostly near the downtown area and up into Winter Park. Also down in the Conway area. There are lots of lakes to help moderate it. But it has always been like this. When we moved to Orlando in 1979 there were mature Royals around along with Archontophoenix, Caryota mitis, Dypsis lutescens and Ptychosperma elegans. Also large Ficus, Seagrapes, Mangos and Royal Poincianas. But the 3 big freezes in the 80s severely injured or wiped many of these out along with hardier subtropicals like Queen Palms, Grevillea robusta, Jacaranda, Norfolk Island Pines, Australian Pines and Citrus. I've also been told that there used to be lots of Adonidia, Caryota urens and some coconuts growing in Orlando but the freeze of 1957-58 wiped these out.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Tampa is a huge city that's farther south and closer to the water and there are only a couple small spots that I would consider maybe being 10a

A good portion of south Tampa I assume? :winkie:

I still think this is the best map to date.

http://plantrealflorida.org/plant-communities/

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Jimbean, I would be interested in the methodology behind your results.

Sure. I am working on a new, better method. I just got caught up with all of my school work and I only have a handful of things to worry about now. I'll work on it whenever I have insomnia like I have now.

Brevard County, Fl

• 3 weeks later...