IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Eastern US cold wave for late January

SubTropicRay

Lol....it just points to our quagmire up here on the Gulf.....98 percent of the time we are 10b ....its that killer 2 percent that is really frustrating.

40 up here....no frost

Isn't that the case in most marginal climates:)? We didn't get to 32F for the whole year of 2014... until the morning of New Years.. we got to 29 :( But now everything is recovering and happy

Well, I guess the real issue is not so much our marginal climates, but our zone denial. Here in Zone 9a, David and I should be planting for and planning on a lows of 20 degrees. And Zone 9b, planting for and planning on lows of 25 degrees. We just got spoiled from a couple of warm decades in the point of ultimate lows. Thanks to 2010 and last year, I am now appropriately planted to my zone whether I want to be or not.

And I for one, have no intention of every betting against nature again.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I've decided not to pay any attention to Accuweather forecasts a week or more into the future. Last night, the site was forecasting a low of 38F and clear on February 14, and I was thinking, oh boy, maybe we will get a freeze event for Central FL after all. Today the low for the same date is forecast to be 48F, with rain that day. Total flip flop. I know it is bad to tempt fate, but I am going to say again that the weather pattern this winter (so far, and I predict for the remainder) does not have what it takes to bring freezing temperatures deep into Central FL (including South Central FL, all coastal areas of Central FL and the Orlando area heat island). My unblemished 8 foot Clinostigma ponapense, for one, is grateful for that. Hope we get some substantial rain tonight/tomorrow.

For everyone, take a peek at the preliminary spring forecast ( Via Accuweather) One of the forecasters there also did a more in- depth video concerning thoughts for the season ahead..( haven't been able to find it again though)

Won't be surprised if such a pattern sets up. Majority of the cold seems to exhaust itself over the next couple weeks. Phoenix may top 87F in the next week or so (Yes, I am jealous). Warmth out that way will eventually ease east.

-Nathan

Edited by Silas_Sancona

Was looking up in the trees and notice the buds beginning to swell on the deciduous Oak. They'll be breaking out in that beautiful spring line and chartreuse green in 2-3 weeks.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

My buddy over below Tallahassee is sounding alarm bells for super low temps at end of next week? Huh?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Weather channel is showing a couple of nights in a row of 36 each.

There's a nice, positive AO coming in the next week. If winter doesn't get us now, it won't this season.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

There's a nice, positive AO coming in the next week. If winter doesn't get us now, it won't this season.

Ray, where do you get this info from? I look at the NOAA Climate Prediction Center, but I would assume there are more places to get info?

Thanks

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Ray, where do you get this info from? I look at the NOAA Climate Prediction Center, but I would assume there are more places to get info?

Thanks

Ray has more sources to monitor the weather then I have crotons. And there are a lot of crotons in the Moose Land.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Was looking up in the trees and notice the buds beginning to swell on the deciduous Oak. They'll be breaking out in that beautiful spring line and chartreuse green in 2-3 weeks.

Peach trees are already blooming here....don't need any freeze.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

The trough looks to be pointed more at the Carolinas and the western Atlantic. The weather looks to stay cool for another 2 weeks but there's no huge anomaly I can see. The last two systems have gone more west to east over the Great Lakes and into the Northeast. The one for Valentine's weekend looks to be following suit.... so far.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thanks

Ray has more sources to monitor the weather then I have crotons. And there are a lot of crotons in the Moose Land.

:floor:

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

The trough looks to be pointed more at the Carolinas and the western Atlantic. The weather looks to stay cool for another 2 weeks but there's no huge anomaly I can see. The last two systems have gone more west to east over the Great Lakes and into the Northeast. The one for Valentine's weekend looks to be following suit.... so far.

I think it was year before last that we had a very mild winter overall, but then a light freeze slipped in at the end of March and screwed up spring big time. Lots of spring flowers didn't happen that year. And keep in mind that freeze was nearly 6 weeks after Dave's Garden says I am almost guaranteed to not have a frost. Strange times indeed.

I remember, Keith. It froze on March 16th... 2013 I believe. All of those frost dates are just statistics. They tell me I have less than a 10% chance of frost after March 15th. But, like I was taught in med school.... if it happens to YOU, it's 100%.

I remember, Keith. It froze on March 16th... 2013 I believe. All of those frost dates are just statistics. They tell me I have less than a 10% chance of frost after March 15th. But, like I was taught in med school.... if it happens to YOU, it's 100%.

By the way, how's that C alba doing. I'm kind of thinking I should be trying that one again someday

All good it's growing nicely still in the pot. I put it in the shed the night we hit 27. It drew blood on my daughter the first day I had it. I may give it back to you due to the thorns. I want a livistona but I won't get one with thorns. I've seen some near thorn less chinensis. I love my bougainvillea also but my toddler was playing with it the other day and I'm considering yanking it too.

I've had better luck with Bismarkia than C alba but that's just my experience.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Ray, In am seeing exactly what you are...a few more pushes of cold air that tend to sweep more east after heading south, so we continue with chilly, rather than cold, weather. This morning is a brisk 45F but headed to 70F. Here in Tampa Bay, two years ago we had a March cold spell during spring break. 60/40F were the temps for a few days, and that is COLD for our area. Last official freeze for Tampa is March 5th. My memory since 1988, no freeze ever in March at my house (one year some light frost early in the month). I do recall something happening aroudn the 20th of February last year, but no freeze, and a few years back. Fingers crossed that another freeze-free year finishes off (that would be 4 straight here). :mrlooney::mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

All good it's growing nicely still in the pot. I put it in the shed the night we hit 27. It drew blood on my daughter the first day I had it. I may give it back to you due to the thorns. I want a livistona but I won't get one with thorns. I've seen some near thorn less chinensis. I love my bougainvillea also but my toddler was playing with it the other day and I'm considering yanking it too.

Oh man, sorry about the blood. I think I did mention that, or at least I hope I did. Palms without armament will limit you a bit, for sure. Let me know when you are ready for visitors this spring.

Looks like Feb 14 or so will be a nice shot of cold air for you guys. And we will be in the 80s out west around that time lol. Some places might make the 90s

Edited by enigma99

Looks like Feb 14 or so will be a nice shot of cold air for you guys. And we will be in the 80s out west around that time lol. Some places might make the 90s

It looks like it could be interesting for sure. Models are all over. I started a new thread on that one, but I sure hope it is much ado about nothing.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/44794-mid-feb-arctic-blast-fear-in-your-heart/