IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Record Latitude for Cocos nucifera

bubba

The California Coconut located at Newport Beach, Ca. at latitude 33.37 North was the furthest Northern legitimate Cocos nucifera of maturity reported.

Coconut palms located at Port Elizabeth, South Africa located at latitude 33.57 were the furthest Southern Cocos nucifera of maturity reported in the Southern hemisphere.

That stated, Palmpedia reports an established Coconut palm growing in Palmero, Sicily at the Palmero Botanical Gardens (Otto Botanico di Palmero). If this is true, I believe we should certainly be provided photographic evidence.

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

The northernmost tip of Bermuda is at 32.39 latitude.

Thanks. I just noticed that on google maps (maps.google.com), if one clicks on a location, the coordinates for that location appear in the URL.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

"Palmero" shoud be actually PALERMO I assume. There it grows for sure among others Gaussia maya and Pritchardia remota. It is around 38 N latitude and few minutes ( in the decimal system) to the north of my garden. I think Carlo used to keep contact with some palm growers there and maybe he can solve mystery, though I think it's only urban legend or merely misunderstanding, especially if someone official used a not valid scientific name for a common palm, ie the Syagrus romanzoffiana is still called in many italian nurseries Cocos plumosa or australis and the Trachycarpus fortunei is still called occasionally Chamaerops excelsa.

Edited by Phoenikakias

As Phoenikakias said, Syagrus romanzoffiana comes from Sicily under the name Cocos plumosa and is mostly sold here as coconut palm.....Maybe that's the source of the rumor? Don't know and don't consider a coconut growing in Sicily as something totally out of question. I would think it's doable as I also think it's doable here in Greece at 37N. It probably is just a rumor stemming from the use of old names and ignorance...

Btw, I am also growing Gaussia maya(and P. schattaueri), I don't consider it a particularly sensitive palm or ultra tropical. So far it's been a fast and easy grower

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

• 7 years later...

I am very late to the party. But yes there is a cocos nucifera at the Palermo botanic gardens. It's in a very controlled microclimate however it really is true. They have a very impressive collection of tropical plants and palms. The banyan trees are incredible. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:12 AM, StrongSicilian said:

I am very late to the party. But yes there is a cocos nucifera at the Palermo botanic gardens. It's in a very controlled microclimate however it really is true. They have a very impressive collection of tropical plants and palms. The banyan trees are incredible. 

@Manos33

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:12 AM, StrongSicilian said:

Amazing! Any photos of the coco?

• Like 1

There is a cocos planted in Italy and no photo can be found? O tempora, o mores...

• Like 1

previously known as ego

No photo, no plant!. 😀 In reality there is, or there was (I haven't visited the Botanic Garden for a long time) a specimen in a large tub with a stem well over a meter long, but in a heated greenhouse in winter, so it doesn't count.

• Like 3

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

I didn't find much on their offical website just the number of Arecacea, but I found to be mentioned in an online vlog. It's only once mentioned in a section where they speak about pollination and fruiting. Then further down the the page there is a list of all the palms that have been added to their Palmetum. Cocos nucifera is not included. So to me it seems that it's not located outside.

Capture.PNG.200034f33e34192b922fc6322bdac14f.PNG

Capture2.PNG.345f525258e77eeebdd87b302cf87d1e.PNG

• Upvote 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

On 16/12/2022 at 23:12, StrongSicilian said:

Sono molto in ritardo per la festa. Ma sì, c'è una cocos nucifera all'orto botanico di Palermo. È in un microclima molto controllato ma è proprio vero. Hanno una collezione davvero impressionante di piante e palme tropicali. Gli alberi di banyan sono incredibili. 

we don't say and we invent fantasies ... there is no coconut that grows outside in palermo ... it's a fake myth set up by who knows who ... there is no photo because there is no coconut ... easy !! !!!!!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Palermo, I often visit the botanical garden and I guarantee you that there is no coconut planted in open air there.  It's just a myth.

Edited by Palermogreen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 1/12/2023 at 4:01 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

botanical garden of padua a coconut in italy here it is! but it is in a heated greenhouse!

E4ugDUFWQAYUkoV.jpeg

E4ugDULXMAc8lgl.jpeg

E4ugDUUWQAYbny8.jpeg

You are cheating lol, it grows under greenhouse conditions...

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Bump for this thread. Any updates on Cocos being found beyond beyond 33.86 N? 2010525567_Comptoncoco.thumb.png.51c43897e6dcdebea0be755034fcb014.png

• Like 1